HarleyDavidson
Established Member
- Joined
- 23 Aug 2014
- Messages
- 2,544
Go via Reading & Guildford then.
So I'm thinking of going to Woking for the football on Bank Holiday Monday by travelling up from visiting my family in Devon in the morning. The problem is the logical thing to do is to head straight back home to York from there, but that means going into London at what is normally peak time - not only that but it's the last day of the blockade which means everything's supposed to be really busy
I'd need to get from the match to Kings Cross by 7:15 for the Grand Central (which I can get for free). In theory it's easy - I'd be arriving into London at 6ish, either Waterloo or Victoria if I change at Clapham Jc. But given all the warnings of massive queues for trains either into Waterloo or to get on at Clapham Jc, I'm not sure it's that wise. Given that I can't really justify the cost of it if I can't get to the GC, would it be best to not bother? I can't seem to find much on the news website about how busy it has actually been - it's all just howls of "DON'T TRAVEL", which is all a bit anxiety-inducing given that I can't get back without going through London
I'm looking forward to travelling this week. More unique journey opportunities, as I call them. Those won't exist soon. Soon it will be back to providing as many journeys into Waterloo for as many lines as possible. Perfectly understandable but it means some useful faster journeys I've taken won't exist any more.How happy I am to not be commuting from Guildford from now on. Hope the next week isn't too hellish for any of you poor souls out there who do have to continue commuting.
How long will you have to get to Kings Cross to make the train? Personally I think you'll be fine. There are less trains, which will take longer and they might be busy but thosw running are going into Waterloo at least and I dint think it will be so bad. Only issue might be if their was a signalling or orher fault. You could get that anywhere but such things have been higher than usual near Waterloo of late.So I'm thinking of going to Woking for the football on Bank Holiday Monday by travelling up from visiting my family in Devon in the morning. The problem is the logical thing to do is to head straight back home to York from there, but that means going into London at what is normally peak time - not only that but it's the last day of the blockade which means everything's supposed to be really busy
I'd need to get from the match to Kings Cross by 7:15 for the Grand Central (which I can get for free). In theory it's easy - I'd be arriving into London at 6ish, either Waterloo or Victoria if I change at Clapham Jc. But given all the warnings of massive queues for trains either into Waterloo or to get on at Clapham Jc, I'm not sure it's that wise. Given that I can't really justify the cost of it if I can't get to the GC, would it be best to not bother? I can't seem to find much on the news website about how busy it has actually been - it's all just howls of "DON'T TRAVEL", which is all a bit anxiety-inducing given that I can't get back without going through London
I don't know how busy they have been but they are even running some that way k the Friday and thus Thursday too:Have the trains via East Putney been busy? Will be aiming to do this early this week?
It's just been announced that Thursdays timetanlw won't appear until Wednesday. Anyone know why they might beeaving it until then?Journeycheck is now stating that Thursday's timetable will be identical to that already published for Friday...
Might help/reassure someone...
For Torquay-Woking QJump comes up with approx hourly changing trains at Exeter St Davids. Off-peak single £60.70, super off-peak single (selected trains) £83.30 and anytime single £64.30 (don't know why the anytime single is cheaper then the off-peak tickets - I'd have expected that to be the other way around)
For Woking-York QJump comes up with:
Depart Woking (Main) @ 17:52 and arrive at Basingstoke @ 18:11 (It says SWTs so they can't have updated their TOCs database table with the new TOC name)
Depart Basingstoke @ 18:18 and arrive at York @ 22:52 (Crosscountry)
It gives £114.40 as the cost of a super off-peak single and £131 for an anytime single
How long will you have to get to Kings Cross to make the train? Personally I think you'll be fine. There are less trains, which will take longer and they might be busy but thosw running are going into Waterloo at least and I dint think it will be so bad. Only issue might be if their was a signalling or orher fault. You could get that anywhere but such things have been higher than usual near Waterloo of late.
I would go for it, if it were me but it will depend on how long you have to make the train.
https://www.journeycheck.com/swrDue to additional engineering works at London Waterloo this evening which will close platform 11-15 two hours earlier than planned, there are a number of services alterations.
This works are taking place alongside the extended bank holiday closure, which were previously announced, to aid in the timely completion of the works following the partial derailment of a passenger service on Tuesday 15 August.
The following service alterations will apply:
20:42 Southampton Central to London Waterloo will terminate at Clapham Junction.
19:20 Weymouth to London Waterloo will terminate at Clapham Junction.
19:25 Exeter St Davids to London Waterloo will terminate at Woking.
20:10 Weymouth to London Waterloo will terminate at Clapham Junction.*
21:15 Alton to London Waterloo will terminate at Surbiton.
21:19 Guildford to London Waterloo will terminate at Wimbledon.
22:03 Weybridge to London Waterloo will terminate at Clapham Junction.
22:08 Weybridge to London Waterloo will terminate at Clapham Junction.
22:15 Alton to London Waterloo will terminate at Wimbledon
23:03 Woking to London Waterloo will terminate at Wimbledon
23:24 London Waterloo to Alton & Basingstoke will start from Clapham Junction
23:52 London Waterloo to Staines will start from Clapham Junction
23:58 London Waterloo to Staines will start from Clapham Junction
23:35 London Waterloo to Southampton Central will depart from London Waterloo at 23:40
23:15 Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour will have 8 carriages instead of 12
We are expecting similar levels of alterations on Tuesday and Wednesday evening.
How We're Helping You Complete Your Journey:
If you are heading to London Waterloo on services terminating at Clapham Junction you are able to use your ticket on Transport for London bus number 77.
If you are heading to London Waterloo on services terminating at Wimbldeon you are able to use your ticket on London Underground services on the district line or take a connecting services from Wimbledon to Clapham Junction.*
For services from London Waterloo to Staines alternative transport will be provided, please speak to a member of staff at London Waterloo.
For services from London Waterloo to Alton alternative transport will be provided, please speak to a member of staff at London Waterloo.
Personally I'd chance it but thats just me. I tend to only leave the amount specified, unless I'm catching a plane then I'm extra careful as there are less flights than trains.Ah hadn't thought of going for the XC. That may be alright, but a lot longer than going via London. But I do have the day off after. Might do this instead. Cheers
The GC out of Kings Cross is 19:15. The train from Woking into Waterloo leaves at 17:24, arriving 18:08, giving me just over an hour to get across London. In theory, it should be easy - according to the timetable
Have they reduced the interchange time at Clapham Junction. If I put in Woking to East Croydon today, it suggests getting 6.30am arrive into Clapham Junction at 6.52am and catch the 7.08am to East Croydon.
The interchange time is shorter then 39 minutes, or whatever previous interchange time I saw quoted was.
Are the extended interchange times only for people joining South Western Railway services rather than those leaving?
Didn't see anyone mention this, but it's worth pointing out the link has changed and the timelapse videos are back. Unless I had the wrong link to begin with
http://sentry.og2.co.uk/sacsa
A puzzle question...
Anyone got an idea what the girders lying on P1/P2 in the latest images are?
Support beams for new information screens? Pigeon spikes along the top, I see. They seem pretty hefty though.
Or maybe a 'T' shaped cross bar shared by something like OFF indicators for the pair of platforms or something similar, but as you say very heavy duty for that. Of course, with all deliveries by rail, maybe they are left over components being returned?
There always seems to be a presumption against sharing support posts for lighting, signalling, PIS, security cameras etc etc, so platform ends always seem far too cluttered to me.
At least at a terminal platform you don't usually get a separate post for every different flavour of stop marker added into the mix as well...
Originally Posted by nlogax View Post
Didn't see anyone mention this, but it's worth pointing out the link has changed and the timelapse videos are back. Unless I had the wrong link to begin with
http://sentry.og2.co.uk/sacsa

Was just scanning through some of the recent images and it's great to see you all taking note of what certain items are for. I actually was on site on the 22nd to review the telecoms installation and it's really great what's been done. The work site is easily the neatest and safest I've ever been on and really shows how such a project can change the publics opinion in rail infrastructure works.
Thanks,
Ross
Noticed a bunch of SWR services each day after next Monday during the following weeks are scheduled to call at Platform 20.
Example: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W35330/2017/09/04/advanced
Wondering if this is just incorrect data or is there going to be continued (low level) use of P20 (and maybe more) over the next few months?
I don't know, but maybe they can use P20 in stand alone fashion, with the existing accesses via P19. It has been posted earlier that there are a small number of peak extra trains on the Reading route from next week.
Suitable hoardings would avoid needing to disrupt the ongoing work on and underneath the other platforms?
Indeed - but that wont matter a jot if it isn't delivered on time.................