• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blockade to allow Waterloo upgrade to take place, resulting in timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,468
Sorry I probably didn't make it clear, 5 paths, one for each platform, but 5 days of the same path to check various stock?

Reliably informed 8531+8532 doing the honours today, and the two diagrams are 458 ones, coming off 2R13 which otherwise forms 5Y24 to Clapham.

Same diagrams planned for the rest of the week.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Reliably informed 8531+8532 doing the honours today, and the two diagrams are 458 ones, coming off 2R13 which otherwise forms 5Y24 to Clapham.

That's the ones I saw earlier. Just looked at a very short piece of phone video and translated the vehicle numbers to units. Bowled by a departing 455, and another arriving 450. Never made it into the shed during the half hour I could afford to watch... :(
 

rj90

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2014
Messages
24
Yes sure. But our theorising will probably be blown away when they use 458s all week... :D

Perhaps people could keep a look out over the next few days...

I think it's planned for 458s throughout. Tried to get them to use a 707 yesterday but to no avail.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Could some of that be down to just the volume of people heading to Wimbledon for the tennis?
The tennis doesn't start until 12pm so i wouldn't have thought people would be arriving at 8am but maybe they do to queue.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I'd hardly call a up Cobham a semi fast at anytime, thanks to the poor timetable, all you need to do is approximately 37-38 mph to achieve the damned awful 8 minutes journey time from Surbiton to Wimbledon, a journey that in reality can be done in 6. 8 is with Malden and Raynes thrown in.
I nick named it the semi-slow myself but I've tended not to use that term here.

I've never understood why the trains on that line only call at New Malden on the 7.06 departure and 7.35 departure, as those trains are booked to arrive at Clapham Junction at 28 and 58 minutes past the hour just like all the ones that don't stop at New Malden at all other times.

Anyway I digress. There is a points failure affecting platforms 5 - 9 at Waterloo today. Is this down to old signalling that just gets patched up or nothing of the sort? If it is old signalling, will the August blockade deal with such signalling?

I see various trains are terminating short but the last train to Clapham (as I nickname it, aka 6.12 Petersfield to Waterloo) was terminated and then reinstated, leaving 12 minutes late from Guildford. Always pleased when that train isn't cancelled during disruption, especially the Clapham Junction stop, even if I'm not on it.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Today is a bad example to use, or rather, a somewhat unfair example to use, as the 07:07 fast from Surbiton to Waterloo was cancelled - I think it failed somewhere around Ash Vale, on its way to Woking from Farnham. As a result, the 07:27 will have been rammed, as will the 07:38, both of which have the same calling pattern from Woking to Waterloo as the 07:06.

For whatever reason, the fast service from SUR-WAT between 06:41 and 07:38 is rubbish at best, and when one of the two services gets cancelled, they don't bother to stop any of the somewhat empty fast services in that period to relieve the consequent overcrowding at SUR. I'm just glad I was on the 06:57 today.

OK. Thank you for that. I hadn't noticed that the train stops at Surbiton. Of course when slow services (aka semi-fast and stopping) are cancelled from Surbtion in the morning they don't put any others on. If Wimbledon, Earlsfield and Clapham Junction and Vauxhall are cancelled but not Surbtion, they also don't do anything else.

I can only assume paths and times just simply do not allow of any changes other than to miss out stops if trains are running late. I guess the works for the additional platforms probably wouldn't help in this case as the issue isn't solely the number of platforms at Waterloo but number of trains that need to be run on the lines towards Waterloo and then away again.
 

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445
I nick named it the semi-slow myself but I've tended not to use that term here.

I've never understood why the trains on that line only call at New Malden on the 7.06 departure and 7.35 departure, as those trains are booked to arrive at Clapham Junction at 28 and 58 minutes past the hour just like all the ones that don't stop at New Malden at all other times.

Anyway I digress. There is a points failure affecting platforms 5 - 9 at Waterloo today. Is this down to old signalling that just gets patched up or nothing of the sort? If it is old signalling, will the August blockade deal with such signalling?

I see various trains are terminating short but the last train to Clapham (as I nickname it, aka 6.12 Petersfield to Waterloo) was terminated and then reinstated, leaving 12 minutes late from Guildford. Always pleased when that train isn't cancelled during disruption, especially the Clapham Junction stop, even if I'm not on it.

From what I understand the track circuit has failed hard down, which I believe means the signalling equipment thinks there is a train currently over the set of points, as a result the points won't change. Track circuit failures can be caused by many things, usually something causing it to short out.
 

rj90

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2014
Messages
24
I nick named it the semi-slow myself but I've tended not to use that term here.

I've never understood why the trains on that line only call at New Malden on the 7.06 departure and 7.35 departure, as those trains are booked to arrive at Clapham Junction at 28 and 58 minutes past the hour just like all the ones that don't stop at New Malden at all other times.

Anyway I digress. There is a points failure affecting platforms 5 - 9 at Waterloo today. Is this down to old signalling that just gets patched up or nothing of the sort? If it is old signalling, will the August blockade deal with such signalling?

I see various trains are terminating short but the last train to Clapham (as I nickname it, aka 6.12 Petersfield to Waterloo) was terminated and then reinstated, leaving 12 minutes late from Guildford. Always pleased when that train isn't cancelled during disruption, especially the Clapham Junction stop, even if I'm not on it.

August works will end up with brand new signalling for platforms 1-8 and the slow lines.

Bathtub effect (of reliability) will likely mean more failures in the short term. It significantly increased reliability in the medium and long term.
 

fairysdad

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
960
Location
London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Random thought - with certain platform stopping markers changing over the past few days, will the remaining suburban services into Waterloo be running as 10-car trains given that (as far as I know anyway!) the only reason they now aren't is because of the platform lengths in Waterloo (which is the main reason for this August's works)?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Random thought - with certain platform stopping markers changing over the past few days, will the remaining suburban services into Waterloo be running as 10-car trains given that (as far as I know anyway!) the only reason they now aren't is because of the platform lengths in Waterloo (which is the main reason for this August's works)?

The SWT announcements so far have always said the additional 10 car operations don't start until Dec 2017. I expect that would have coincided with full introduction of 707s. Until they do that they can't really change the diagramming, although they could run existing 10 car trains on the main suburban side into different platforms.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I've never understood why the trains on that line only call at New Malden on the 7.06 departure and 7.35 departure...

Please could we keep to matters directly concerning the August blockade in this thread, rather than day to day problems?
 
Last edited:

fairysdad

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
960
Location
London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
The SWT announcements so far have always said the additional 10 car operations don't start until Dec 2017. I expect that would have coincided with full introduction of 707s. Until they do that they can't really change the diagramming, although they could run existing 10 car trains on the main suburban side into different platforms.
I was mainly asking during the blockade only - with fewer trains running, there would be more 456s to attach to 2x455 to make 10-car trains, and with platforms 1-10 not in use at Waterloo, there is the platform length capacity for 10-car trains.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I was mainly asking during the blockade only - with fewer trains running, there would be more 456s to attach to 2x455 to make 10-car trains, and with platforms 1-10 not in use at Waterloo, there is the platform length capacity for 10-car trains.

Don't know. It does seem a logical improvement to make though.

Sorry, but I didn't catch that possible meaning of your earlier question...
 
Last edited:

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
August works will end up with brand new signalling for platforms 1-8 and the slow lines.

Bathtub effect (of reliability) will likely mean more failures in the short term. It significantly increased reliability in the medium and long term.
Which in the short term will mean people criticising the new franchise, including the Evening Standard I'm sure, even though it's not their fault and things need to bed in so to speak.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Network Rail say this will be disruptive and their may be queues at stations and delays to trains. Does anyone on here think it will go like the Olympics in 2012? Whereby people heeded advice and avoided the trains if they could, so trains ended up not being as busy as expected.

I think it could go like that. However there are less trains running so maybe I'm being too optimistic. I can't wait to find out.

Be interesting to know how many less seats will exist during the blockade compared to normal. I would say trains but if they lengthen trains that are running, it's not a fair comparison.
 
Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
I was mainly asking during the blockade only - with fewer trains running, there would be more 456s to attach to 2x455 to make 10-car trains, and with platforms 1-10 not in use at Waterloo, there is the platform length capacity for 10-car trains.

The plan is for 10-car trains running on Suburban services via Wimbledon during the blockade, and that is why the stop marks have changed recently. Guilldford-Ascot is planned to be worked by 450s during the blockade to free up 456s.
 

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
1,546
Norbiton, which is quite a busy station at rush hours, will be closed during the blockade period, as all Kingston and Shepperton services will run via Richmond, and nothing will run from Kingston via Wimbledon to Waterloo. Would it be possible for the Kingston service to be run on to Norbiton and turned there? There isn't these days a crossover at Norbiton, but there is a facing one at Kingston, which could on the face of it allow wrong-line running to Norbiton. Or would this require changes to signalling that would be too costly to implement for just a few weeks?
 

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,759
Norbiton, which is quite a busy station at rush hours, will be closed during the blockade period, as all Kingston and Shepperton services will run via Richmond, and nothing will run from Kingston via Wimbledon to Waterloo. Would it be possible for the Kingston service to be run on to Norbiton and turned there? There isn't these days a crossover at Norbiton, but there is a facing one at Kingston, which could on the face of it allow wrong-line running to Norbiton. Or would this require changes to signalling that would be too costly to implement for just a few weeks?

It would require single line working to be implemented. Without going into too much detail, it would require a pilotman to be on duty 24 hours a day. Most of the available pilotmen (who are mostly MOMS) are otherwise engaged being on standby in inner London in order to respond more swiftly to any incidents that may affect the blockade. Combine that with the fact that if Norbiton station is open people are going to assume there'll be a full service and there would be a maximum of 3tph, resulting in extreme overcrowding (quite apart from the usual loads Norbiton is the closest station to Kingston hospital) . Better to stick people on frequent buses.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
There's a banner at Richmond station: 'Improvements at Waterloo will mean significantly fewer trains.'

I think that this could have been worded a little better.

Indeed it could but I think their intentions are very sensible. I know of several people including myself who have decided to take annual leave during the platform closures so Network Rails warning has certainly been heeded.
 

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,287
Norbiton, which is quite a busy station at rush hours, will be closed during the blockade period, as all Kingston and Shepperton services will run via Richmond, and nothing will run from Kingston via Wimbledon to Waterloo. Would it be possible for the Kingston service to be run on to Norbiton and turned there? There isn't these days a crossover at Norbiton, but there is a facing one at Kingston, which could on the face of it allow wrong-line running to Norbiton. Or would this require changes to signalling that would be too costly to implement for just a few weeks?

There is fatal flaw in your logic - you are assuming that no one at SWT and NR spotted the opportunity to do some work at Norbiton when there are no trains running.;)
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Indeed it could but I think their intentions are very sensible. I know of several people including myself who have decided to take annual leave during the platform closures so Network Rails warning has certainly been heeded.

Are you taking the whole period off (5-28 august)?
 

Ian Hardy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
459
There is fatal flaw in your logic - you are assuming that no one at SWT and NR spotted the opportunity to do some work at Norbiton when there are no trains running.;)
According to the EAS:

NO SERVICES TO RUN BETWEEN NEW MALDEN AND KINGSTON

SWT TO USE PLATFORMS 1 AND 2 AT KINGSTON FOR TERMINATING SERVICES FROM THE
TEDDINGTON DIRECTION

SIGNALLING: ELM ROAD LC PREP
FELTHAM RESIGNALLING BLOCKADE
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
There is fatal flaw in your logic - you are assuming that no one at SWT and NR spotted the opportunity to do some work at Norbiton when there are no trains running.;)
So what work is being done at Norbiton? Your right it is a good time to do some work.
 
Last edited:

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I very rarely go into the office at weekends so my holiday starts on the 7th but yes I will be taking three weeks annual leave.
If I took three weeks annual leave, I'd have hardly any left.

Not that it matters because on the lines I might mostly use, they are either running the same number of trains in the morning or even more. The evening peak might have the same number of trains but I think my journey opportunities are still better.

Be interesting to see how busy these trains will be.
 

OneOffDave

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2015
Messages
453
As I've got to provide emergency cover at work I can't take any of this period off, esp as I'm on call in the middle of it.

I'm not so concerned about getting in as the trains shouldn't be too crowded, it's more about getting home as it's hard enough finding space during a normal week. Given I can only use one carriage out of every 4 car set, my options are a bit limited.
 

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
1,546
It would require single line working to be implemented. Without going into too much detail, it would require a pilotman to be on duty 24 hours a day. Most of the available pilotmen (who are mostly MOMS) are otherwise engaged being on standby in inner London in order to respond more swiftly to any incidents that may affect the blockade. Combine that with the fact that if Norbiton station is open people are going to assume there'll be a full service and there would be a maximum of 3tph, resulting in extreme overcrowding (quite apart from the usual loads Norbiton is the closest station to Kingston hospital) . Better to stick people on frequent buses.

Thanks for that -- I did wonder if doing what I outlined would involve all sorts of operational difficulties.
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,535
Location
West London
District Line, modified Wimbledon branch peak service to enable South West Trains diversions.;
7-11 August
14-18 August
21-25 August
Timetable Notice 75/17 refers.
District Line trains will depart Wimbledon at same times as current timetable WTT149, no reduction in frequency.
The only alteration is that trains will be held at Putney Bridge WB platform for ½-1½ mins to allow SWT trains over East Putney junction.
 

zoneking

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2009
Messages
283
The timetable for Epsom, published this month, shows Southern services running to Guildford. However, they are not currently running due to the overtime ban. Will this still be the case next month?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top