Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
From https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/bletchley-eastern-entrance-updates.295181/#post-7700446:
Based on my experience of Bletchley e.g. the old leisure centre and the present leisure centre car park, unless that was wholly inside the gateline it would soon be a hive of antisocial behaviour and would strongly smell of urine and illegal smoking products.
I see no issue with "downgrading" Saxon St, it's not a major thoroughfare (e.g. it's not a proper grid road and never really was - primary access from the rest of MK to Far Bletchley is via Standing Way/Buckingham Road) and already has a 30mph limit and nowhere near enough traffic to justify being dualled. Indeed, it being dualled probably causes accidents because the lane layouts of some of the junctions are slightly confusing. I would even consider dropping that section to 20mph (not enforced) with a zebra crossing rather than Pelican across to the new entrance, it'd cost people seconds on their journeys and make it a much nicer environment. And I find the National Speed Limit "racetrack" section under the Marston Vale Line bridge a bit silly too, that needs a 40 on it, it's hard to drive it above 45-50 without being reckless due to the blind curves.
I do agree with you on the progressive downgrading of the grid itself, but this isn't really the grid even if it technically has a V number on the signs. The grid really ends at the Tesco double roundabout.
(Curiously it's only that side of Bletchley - you rarely if ever see ASB in the station building itself, and that's open 24/7/363 sometimes without any staff there as there's no other way to the platforms!)
I'd really love to see a footbridge run from the EWR platforms right over Saxon Street to the bus station, but sadly the current MK Council administration is hell-bent on downgrading roads and forcing pedestrians onto them.
Based on my experience of Bletchley e.g. the old leisure centre and the present leisure centre car park, unless that was wholly inside the gateline it would soon be a hive of antisocial behaviour and would strongly smell of urine and illegal smoking products.
I see no issue with "downgrading" Saxon St, it's not a major thoroughfare (e.g. it's not a proper grid road and never really was - primary access from the rest of MK to Far Bletchley is via Standing Way/Buckingham Road) and already has a 30mph limit and nowhere near enough traffic to justify being dualled. Indeed, it being dualled probably causes accidents because the lane layouts of some of the junctions are slightly confusing. I would even consider dropping that section to 20mph (not enforced) with a zebra crossing rather than Pelican across to the new entrance, it'd cost people seconds on their journeys and make it a much nicer environment. And I find the National Speed Limit "racetrack" section under the Marston Vale Line bridge a bit silly too, that needs a 40 on it, it's hard to drive it above 45-50 without being reckless due to the blind curves.
I do agree with you on the progressive downgrading of the grid itself, but this isn't really the grid even if it technically has a V number on the signs. The grid really ends at the Tesco double roundabout.
(Curiously it's only that side of Bletchley - you rarely if ever see ASB in the station building itself, and that's open 24/7/363 sometimes without any staff there as there's no other way to the platforms!)