• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham to Manchester XC - crowding question

c2c

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2017
Messages
27
Hello,

I need to travel from Birmingham Int. to Manchester Picc. on Friday (returning early Monday morning). I'm not too worried about the return journey as the train starts from Piccadilly and if I get there early enough I should be able to get a seat + space for luggage. Just wanted to know what to expect crowding wise between 5-7pm on a Friday if anyone had an experience making this journey?

Thanks :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
Hello,

I need to travel from Birmingham Int. to Manchester Picc. on Friday (returning early Monday morning). I'm not too worried about the return journey as the train starts from Piccadilly and if I get there early enough I should be able to get a seat + space for luggage. Just wanted to know what to expect crowding wise between 5-7pm on a Friday if anyone had an experience making this journey?

Thanks :)
If it's the direct train it's likely to be horrendous as it comes from Bournemouth. You might be as well catching another train to New Street or Wolverhampton to intercept it there once it's had a chance to kick out at Birmingham.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,304
@c2c. What ticket type are you buying? = Off Peak Return? Did a similar journey recently, and changed trains at Wolverhampton, Stafford and Crewe, so as to use less busy trains, and avoid using XC. Might be a consideration, although noted you'll have luggage.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,415
Hello,

I need to travel from Birmingham Int. to Manchester Picc. on Friday (returning early Monday morning). I'm not too worried about the return journey as the train starts from Piccadilly and if I get there early enough I should be able to get a seat + space for luggage. Just wanted to know what to expect crowding wise between 5-7pm on a Friday if anyone had an experience making this journey?

Thanks :)
You should be able to find itineraries changing at Crewe or Stafford to swerve from an XC journey of hell (or perhaps via Rugby?).
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,159
Location
Wilmslow
Via Coventry and therefore by implication via Rugby is not a permitted route for “any permitted” tickets such as off peak returns or open returns.
 

Top