• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham to London with Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinTurbostar

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2017
Messages
200
Location
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm gonna be heading down to London for the day tomorrow, and I was most likely gonna buy the £35 Chiltern Railway Super Off Peak ticket with the zone 1-6 addon. Just to make sure, is this the best value ticket that I can get, or would it be cheaper to buy a ticket on it's own, then pay for the tube with my debit card once there?

Thanks,
Daniel.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
Hi all, I'm gonna be heading down to London for the day tomorrow, and I was most likely gonna buy the £35 Chiltern Railway Super Off Peak ticket with the zone 1-6 addon. Just to make sure, is this the best value ticket that I can get, or would it be cheaper to buy a ticket on it's own, then pay for the tube with my debit card once there?

Thanks,
Daniel.

A Chiltern Super Off-Peak Return is £29.70, whilst a Chiltern Super Off-Peak Travelcard is £34.70 - so the Travelcard premium is £5.

A single zone 1 Tube journey, using contactless or Oyster, costs £2.40 - so two journeys cost £4.80.

So, it's a difference of 20p if you are intending to make two zone 1 Tube journeys. If you intend on making several journeys, the daily cap for travel in zone 1&2 is £6.60.

Basically if you're going to use the Tube once in London, the Travelcard add-on makes sense.
 

TwinTurbostar

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2017
Messages
200
Location
United Kingdom
I'm heading down there with a friend, so we'll be travelling about a fair bit, both to visit the design museum, pop over to the Stratford centre and then anywhere else we feel like going, so we'll be using the tube a fair bit. Thanks for the help.

Do you know if it comes on a regular paper ticket like national rail ones do? I'm guessing there'll be a slot for them at the tube barriers, as opposed to using an Oyster or a contactless card.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
I'm heading down there with a friend, so we'll be travelling about a fair bit, both to visit the design museum, pop over to the Stratford centre and then anywhere else we feel like going, so we'll be using the tube a fair bit. Thanks for the help.

Do you know if it comes on a regular paper ticket like national rail ones do? I'm guessing there'll be a slot for them at the tube barriers, as opposed to using an Oyster or a contactless card.

Yes, it will come as a single printed ticket (or coupon in the railway's jargon), which you use for your travel down to, around and back from London - it should look something like this.

And yes, you feed the ticket into the slot at Tube gates in the same way as you do at railway stations. On buses, show it to the driver on boarding.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top