• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham New Street to Dawlish

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
I've left plenty of time for this one :lol:

August 1st
August 4th two adult returns :)

Would also like to know how much I could join the Penzance sleeper for and get back to BHM with Virgin from London.

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
How long are you going for.

I would recommend a SVR from Birmingham to Worcester (13-10) or a SVR from Birmingham to Cheltenham (21-10) plus a Freedom of the South West Rover (3 in 7 days £70-00, 8 in 15 days £95). This then gives you a more or less free rover for upto 6 days (using the 8 days in 15 and taking up 2 days in travelling)

Peter
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Leaving the 1st coming back the 4th (or getting the sleeper the evening of the 3rd)

I was hoping for cheeky cheap advances :)
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I've left plenty of time for this one :lol:

More than 12 weeks to be exact so you'll have to keep an eye out.

I have used Monday 4th July outward and Thursday 7th July return as examples (these match the days you want?)

BHM - DWL
9:42-12:43
£19 Advance
0 Changes

DWL - PAD
00:11 - 05:21
Sleeper
Change at Exeter St Davids for the sleeper at 1am.
£45 Advance (I think, not entirely sure since it wants me to register)

PAD - BHM via EUS
Tube + Train
05:30 - 07:27 (including tube)
£13.50 Advance

The next train is £22.50 if you feel uncomfortable getting across London or in the event of a delay
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Should you not take the sleeper:

DWL - BHM
10:35 - 13:26
£19 Advance (£35 first advance)
0 Changes
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
PAD - BHM via EUS
Tube + Train
05:30 - 07:27 (including tube)
£13.50 Advance

This is pretty darn cheap considering that the cheapest tier of AP between PNZ and BHM cost £15 on XC.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
This is pretty darn cheap considering that the cheapest tier of AP between PNZ and BHM cost £15 on XC.

I thought it was about right given Virgin's cheap advances between Euston and Birmingham. Add on a bit for a tube journey from Paddington. Virgin consider the first two trains of the day from London to Brum as off-peak (there is an easement).

Or did I make a mistake? :oops:


OP: If you're eligible for a railcard it might be worth looking into (no minimum fare applies in August)
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Great stuff SS4, thanks.

I would like to stay on the sleeper til 7, get some nibbles from the Paddington lounge and then maybe get a 08:30 departure back to Coventry?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I thought it was about right given Virgin's cheap advances between Euston and Birmingham. Add on a bit for a tube journey from Paddington. Virgin consider the first two trains of the day from London to Brum as off-peak (there is an easement).

Or did I make a mistake? :oops:


OP: If you're eligible for a railcard it might be worth looking into (no minimum fare applies in August)

Yes you're correct. Somehow I read that as PNZ - BHM £13.50 :(
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
The 9:23 from Euston to Coventry is £22 advance which arrives at 10:22.

That £22 is from Paddington so if you want to use Oyster it will be cheaper to buy from Euston (£19 advance)

Travelling an hour later on the 10:23 it is £7.50/£10.50 advance or £22/£26 first advance from Euston/Paddington respectively (the £26 is the £22 from Euston plus a single cash fare on the tube since NRE quotes £40!)


to reiterate, this is for July (the latest I could get hold of info) - keep an eye on the calender for 9/5/11 and 12/5/11 which are 12 weeks prior to your departure and return dates
 
Last edited:

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Could I join the Sleeper at Newtons Abbot or Plymouth?

Do your quoted prices include a berth?
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Could I join the Sleeper at Newtons Abbot or Plymouth?

Do your quoted prices include a berth?

Yes to both although Newton Abbot is a lot closer than Plymouth

No idea the FGW site didn't let me go far enough without registering my details

However:

FGW Site implies you can get a berth and a ticket from £49 or from £69 based on two sharing (I inferred that if, like me, you'd rather not share then you could pay the extra?)
It remains unknown whether or not the supplement is included. Probably not by definition (and I don't want FGW to have my mobile number). I'd get in touch with their customer service and ask


Dawlish - Newton Abbot
£3.10
Anytime Single

Newton Abbot - Paddington
00:32 - 05:21
Sleeper - see above
 
Last edited:

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Thanks again :)

I think I could quite happily (sorry for sharing holiday plans here)

Monday, arrive, food, maybe walk the beach (if its a latish arrival)
Tuesday spend time in Dawlish
Wednesday trip down to Penzance, hopefully somewhere to leave the luggage safely spend day on beach and then catch the sleeper to London.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Thanks again :)

I think I could quite happily (sorry for sharing holiday plans here)

Monday, arrive, food, maybe walk the beach (if its a latish arrival)
Tuesday spend time in Dawlish
Wednesday trip down to Penzance, hopefully somewhere to leave the luggage safely spend day on beach and then catch the sleeper to London.

Sounds flexible enough (assuming you've got somewhere to stay on Mon and Tues). If you're going to Penzance you'll need to give it a couple of hours for the journey though (around 3 hours)
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Get up at 9, leave the station at 10 join a FGW HST and get food onboard? Getting me to Penzance at two I think.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
You're looking earlier than 2, nearer quarter past 1 if you change at Newton Abbot onto a train from Paddingtron
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Even better :)

Sorry about all the questions, I would happily walk Paddington to Euston, be a nice stroll. I just need set in stone sleeper prices so I can decide how it weighs up compared to another night in a hotel. I better ask how she feels about the sleeper, probably not the same enthusiasm as me!
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
The sleeper berth prices are from £49 for a berth on your own, or from £69 for two people sharing a berth. There is no option to share a berth with someone you don't know on FGW.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1555

Looks like the prices quoted by TEW are similar to those quoted on the website for berth supplements, but the price may have gone up by a few quid?

You can get berth inclusive tickets, the FGW site sells them, they are clearly identified by the name "Sleeper" in the ticket type and also with the bed icon
sleeper_bed.gif


If you search for one person, only "Solo" will be shown. If you search for 2 people it will ask "Would you like to share a cabin together?", if you select Yes it will show "Twin" fares.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry about all the questions, I would happily walk Paddington to Euston, be a nice stroll.
Not really what I'd call a nice stroll at any time of day, unless you like traffic noise/fumes ;)
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
So £69 on top of the price for the journey?
No, £69 is for an all inclusive ticket including the berth for two people. £49 is also an all inclusive fare for one person including a berth.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Not really what I'd call a nice stroll at any time of day, unless you like traffic noise/fumes ;)

Surely it beats taking the tube though and either a massive ascent at Euston or Baker Street (in case one prefers sub-surface lines) :p
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Right on the FGW site we can share a berth for £69, so i've got all the info I need, thanks guys :D
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
No, £69 is for an all inclusive ticket including the berth for two people. £49 is also an all inclusive fare for one person including a berth.
Not a bad deal. Can't be many at that price; it's not much more than the Supplement then!
Surely it beats taking the tube though and either a massive ascent at Euston or Baker Street (in case one prefers sub-surface lines) :razz:

I wouldn't take the tube and would take sub-surface from Euston Square. However if there was a Met turned up, and it was ages 'til the next one to Pad, I would take the Met to Baker St and from there it's actually not too bad to get to the Bakerloo.
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
But after being on a train for the night, and the prospect of another hour on one, i'm sure it wouldn't be that bad :)
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
August 1st

Birmingham New Street 10:12
Newtons Abott 13:03
Should hopefully be a HST.
Newton Abott 13:41 (13:06)
Dawlish 13:53 (13:17)
Please tell me this isn't a Pacer?
Stay the night, go to Plymouth the eve of the 2nd, nip to the pub until the sleeper.
Dawlish 18:48
Newton Abott 19:01

Newton Abott 19:07
Plymouth 19:45

Plymouth 23:45
London Paddington 05:48 (stay on til 7, then spent an hour in the 1st Lounge.)
57 THRASH MY LORDDZZZ. What is the lounge car like aboard?
London Euston 09:23
Coventry 10:22 and go home and sleep!

All for £124.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top