Hey,
I went through New Street recently, and took the lift on platform 1a. I saw there was a keyhole for going to the “subway” floor. Is this the old way between the platforms from before the refurb and does anybody know what it’s used for now?
Thanks in advance
I believe it's just staff access between platforms, what is interesting it that it connects with The Mailbox (former RM sorting office).
AFAIK historically, in normal circumstances the subway was 'staff only' and used for parcels and mail transfers between platforms, the old RM city-centre sorting office and the parcels and mail/road transfer dock that used to exist next to today's platform 12 (which only became a passenger platform when the 'Cross City' services started in 1978).
In the early 1970s when I first started trainspotting at New Street regularly, there was a lot of mail and parcels traffic carried on passenger trains - e.g. the Euston - Birmingham IC trains had a full-brake coach at each end to carry it (particularly the ones that terminated there, which had layover time to load and unload it). All in loose mailbags, manually handled between trains and blue BR 'BRUTE' trolleys, coupled into 'trains' and hauled around the platforms and along the subway by small (battery powered?) tractors.
I suspect the origins of the subway may go back to the original building of New Street as a joint LNWR/MR station in the 1850s (replacing terminal stations at Curzon Steet and Lawley Street), which had a central footbridge for passenger use and which maintained a public right-of-way across it (as the station had been built over/obliterated several streets). The public right-of-way moved up into the shopping centre in the 1960s station rebuild.
As for other ex-parcels and mail bridges/subways, the north end footbridge at Peterborough station was originally 'staff only' and continued across into the next-door RM sorting office (where the Waitrose supermarket is today).