I know this has come up from time to time but was wondering if anyone knows what the root cause of the ongoing escalator problems at Birmingham New Street are? Or if there is a plan to improve the situation beyond changing the direction of flow at weekends and reactive repair work to each breakdown?
Today, of the four escalators in the central atrium (i.e. the main escalators which take people up to the shops and eateries on the upper level), only one was in service, taking people up where they were effectively 'trapped' until they worked out (or were informed by staff) that they could walk all the way to the Victoria Square end to get back to the concourse level. Or go through John Lewis like I did. The public are not permitted to walk up and down the broken escalators.
There was a couple of maintenance personnel working on one of the out-of-service escalators. As I passed them on the way up I overheard a snippet of conversation conveying the sense of them facing a complex issue which would not be easy to rectify. The language was slightly more colourful.
It's all really rather embarrassing.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Today, of the four escalators in the central atrium (i.e. the main escalators which take people up to the shops and eateries on the upper level), only one was in service, taking people up where they were effectively 'trapped' until they worked out (or were informed by staff) that they could walk all the way to the Victoria Square end to get back to the concourse level. Or go through John Lewis like I did. The public are not permitted to walk up and down the broken escalators.
There was a couple of maintenance personnel working on one of the out-of-service escalators. As I passed them on the way up I overheard a snippet of conversation conveying the sense of them facing a complex issue which would not be easy to rectify. The language was slightly more colourful.
It's all really rather embarrassing.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.