• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham International to Glasgow - Ticket availability 19/05/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what's holding up Virgin releasing tickets for 19/05/2014?

The booking horizon seems to have been stuck for a couple of weeks.

I'm travelling BHI to Glasgow on 19/05/2014. I booked my ticket to Birmingham New Street (BHM) (with XC) [and I'll probably then spend and extra £1.30 and get a BHM-BHI Virgin only 1st class ticket and try out the lounges as I have a bit of time in hand ] and a hotel a couple of weeks ago. I then booked my hotel in Glasgow and my ticket out of Glasgow (with EC) a week ago.

I'm tempted to book a flight (currently available for £35, a fiver more than when I first looked) but I'd rather get the train - (possibly 1st class if I can get the right fare).

There is an XC from Birmingham New Street for £39 in STD but that takes over 2 hours longer and is XC. For some reason the Virgin site won't show me this train, even if I specify via York but I've seen it on the EC site.

(It's just me, no railcards, flexible on timings but don't want too early a start as I'll have been out the night before and not too late a departure as I'll have to check out of my hotel by 1200).
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andythebrave

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2009
Messages
570
Location
England
Checking further north on NRE there are notes that there could be engineering work around that time (I looked at Preston to Glasgow) so when that's decided I've no doubt they'll be released.
 

LesS

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2012
Messages
203
Location
Sydney
I am having exactly the same problem. I am wanting a Euston to Glasgow ticket for 22 May. Virgin seem to have been stuck at the 17th for a couple of weeks.

East Coast have just opened their bookings to 31 May and even this seems to be a little long winded in coming.

Could Virgin be playing games or is there a more serious problem with their booking system?
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I don't think Virgin are playing games, the fares for the 19th April were only released on 3rd March. Could be there is some engineering work that needs sorting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Virgin have just said to me on twitter, that the advance fares for 19th may, will be released at the end of the month.

Follow me @5onic2009
 

extendedpaul

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
706
Location
Caerphilly and Kent
It's not just Virgin whose tickets are being released later than usual. I've been trying to book trips on FGW to Devon and to Wales for w/c Mon 19 May for two weeks now but still no advances.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire

LesS

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2012
Messages
203
Location
Sydney
Well, I have grown tired of waiting and have now booked London to Glasgow with EastCoast via Edinburgh. Interestingly the fare to Glasgow is the same as to Edinburgh. As the Anytime fare between Edinburgh & Glasgow is 13.50 the saving is considerable.

I am puzzelled at the suggestion that Virgin might be delayed by the need to sort out trackwork programmes. In the few days before a major holiday weekend this seems unlikely.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
Sorry to bump this, but it's another week, East Coast have released another week of tickets. Anyone know how long this delay is likely to last?

XC and airline prices continue to rise and I'm worried I'm going to end up coaching it to Glasgow.

What day does Virgin usually release tickets? I know for EC it's usually Thursday.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
I don't think Virgin are playing games, the fares for the 19th April were only released on 3rd March. Could be there is some engineering work that needs sorting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Virgin have just said to me on twitter, that the advance fares for 19th may, will be released at the end of the month.

Follow me @5onic2009

It's looking less likely unless they're very quick now :(

Anyone heard anything else?
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
Much relief as I've picked one up for 16 quid on my preferred train (1053 from BHI). That appears to be the lowest fare available for that route so I'm happy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top