• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham [BHM] - Newcastle [NCL] (Outrageous pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
No, it's still alternate Doncaster/Leeds every hour from my experience, and I do commute Sheffield-Doncaster a fair bit.
I only asked because a couple of days ago a colleague was travelling from B'ham to Doncaster (for the airport) and found that after 1530, the next direct XC Doncaster train is 1730. He got the impression that the 30 minute alternate had been changed.

But as you say you do the journey and we certainly don't.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
I only asked because a couple of days ago a colleague was travelling from B'ham to Doncaster (for the airport) and found that after 1530, the next direct XC Doncaster train is 1730. He got the impression that the 30 minute alternate had been changed.

But as you say you do the journey and we certainly don't.

AFAIK Old Timer, the 1630 off Birmingham has always gone via Leeds to provide an extra peak train between Sheffield and Wakefield/Leeds. I am not saying I am an expert, but it has got to the point now where I know the times between Sheffield and Doncaster fairly well! :lol:
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,440
Location
Yorkshire
Does he really only need a single? ie, he isn't returning for over a month (or not at all!)?

A Off Peak Return to Morpeth is £96.10 and valid on ANY train departing after 0500, if he is returning within 1 month...
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
If it works for yous, megabus at 20:10 the evening before costs a pound (they might still do the 50p looking fee). Newcastle travelodge is thirty five pound. An earlier coach would cost a tenner. on phone, so cant check, but i think the coach goes via sunderland, which may have a cheaper travelodge. there is also the backpackers inn on grainger street I think, which might be cheap - again, easier for you to check on computer than me on phone!
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2009
Messages
364
Location
Melbourne, Australia
:oops: :oops: Many apologies to our Australian correpondent then.

Apology accepted, I was not long out of bed after a good nights sleep, so I may have read the OP better than others. :lol:

Although it is a bit sad that I frequent this forum and UK train booking websites at 05:00. :|

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Damn, wasted research!

Although looking at AP prices between Doncaster and Newcastle (some trains currently £6.50), a similar split at Burton on Trent and Doncaster may save the OP some money, so perhaps all is not lost.

Indeed, examples:

0619 Birmingham > 0650 Burton, £13
0651 (ie same train) train Burton > 0825 Doncaster £23, change at Derby
09:17 Doncaster > 1044 NCL £6.25

Total is £32.25

If he needs to make it by 10:30, then:

0600 Birmingham > 0632 Derby £14 (advance ticket) £15.10 (walk on fare)
Same train Derby > Sheffield £18
Same train Sheffield > Leeds £9.20 (anytime single Route NOT Doncaster)
0812/0827 Leeds > 0948/1009 Newcastle £10.50

Total is £51.70

Just to summarise, your options that have been suggested so far are:

06:19 to Carlisle, total cost £46.60

05:22 to Peterborough, total cost £48

20:10 Megabus plus Travelodge £37; £1.50 if hotel accommodation not needed!

05:29 to London, arrive NCL 10:44, £31

Or my two suggestions above,

0619 to Doncaster, arrive NCL 10:44, £32.50

0600 to Leeds, £51.70

It was a complicated thread so I thought I'd list what had been suggested!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,303
AFAIK Old Timer, the 1630 off Birmingham has always gone via Leeds to provide an extra peak train between Sheffield and Wakefield/Leeds. I am not saying I am an expert, but it has got to the point now where I know the times between Sheffield and Doncaster fairly well! :lol:

IIRC the various RUS documents for the area are pushing for at least alternate XC 'Reading' services to run via Leeds at some time in the future, but there'd be a number of follow up changes required to give Doncaster better connections.

One of the down services has also just been diverted via Leeds (since the 12th of December), the former 1522 ex Newcastle now leaves at 1506 so there's a similar 2 hour gap at Doncaster between 1555 and 1758.
 
Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
Indeed, examples:

0619 Birmingham > 0650 Burton, £13
0651 (ie same train) train Burton > 0825 Doncaster £23, change at Derby
09:17 Doncaster > 1044 NCL £6.25

Total is £32.25

I think the main reason that Burton on Trent works so well is that the Anytime single is less for Doncaster than Sheffield - ludicrous pricing!
 

brompton rail

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2009
Messages
754
Location
Doncaster
IIRC the various RUS documents for the area are pushing for at least alternate XC 'Reading' services to run via Leeds at some time in the future, but there'd be a number of follow up changes required to give Doncaster better connections.

One of the down services has also just been diverted via Leeds (since the 12th of December), the former 1522 ex Newcastle now leaves at 1506 so there's a similar 2 hour gap at Doncaster between 1555 and 1758.

I think it would be correct to say that XC want to divert "via Doncaster" service to go via Leeds. The Eureka draft t/t issued about a year ago showed a 2 hourly Reading - Newcastle service via Leeds with a similar 2hourly service via Doncaster. Incidentally this gave a Doncaster to York service of 2 trains (within a few minutes of each other) every 2 hours. As the journey time via Leeds to/from Newcastle is longer than via Doncaster it isn't possible (without using an additional Voyager and a long layover) for a train to go north via Leeds and turn around at Newcastle and return via Leeds, but it is possible for a set to go north via Leeds and return via Doncaster with a 15/20 minute layover in Newastle. However, as Eureka now seems to be a secret it isn't possible to be sure what will happen in May. The likely hood of any additional Sheffield - Doncaster trains to fill the gaps left by XC. Trains is I think NIL!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top