• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham (any station) to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutty

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2011
Messages
151
Hello, fountain of knowledge.

Are there any splits I should be aware of without railcards to get to London, at a low cost?

I actually live in Wolverhampton if it makes any difference, though I guess I'm just further up the WCML from B'ham?

I can use friends and family on my weekly bus/trains/metro ticket to get my other half to anywhere, z1-z5 for £1 in the West Mid's.

We'd like to go down on the 13th Oct, preferentially first class as it's a surprise for her birthday. We don't need to arrive in London until around 1 or 2pm and we'll either take the last trains back or come back the next evening/afternoon.

Any takers, or should I just hunt around online for cheap single+singles?

Cheers!

Si
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Im on my mobile but you have the choice of three train companies from Birmingham to London :

Virgin which has 3tph to London Euston from Birmingham New Street, London Midland also has 3tph to London.Euston again also from Birmingham New Street and Chiltern Railways which has 2tph to London Marylebone, 1tph from Birmingham Snow Hill and 1tph from Birmingham Moor Street, this is the off-peak pattern generally where you will get the cheapest fares.

All three companies offer advance fares as well as your walk up fares, London Midland and Chiltern Railways take between 1hr 30 and 2hrs 15 depending on the time of day, with Virgin taking 1hrs 30 throughout most of the day, now as Im on my phone i don't have access to fares information, but someone will be along to further your enquiry
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Hello, fountain of knowledge.

Are there any splits I should be aware of without railcards to get to London, at a low cost?
Not usually. There is huge competition on the Birmingham Stations to London Terminals flow! The overall journey can be cheaper than intermediate journeys.
I actually live in Wolverhampton if it makes any difference, though I guess I'm just further up the WCML from B'ham?
Some may say further down, as down is heading away from London, and some may say that isn't the WCML, but I know what you mean ;)
I can use friends and family on my weekly bus/trains/metro ticket to get my other half to anywhere, z1-z5 for £1 in the West Mid's.
OK, well you are best off looking from Birmingham itself then I'd say.
We'd like to go down on the 13th Oct, preferentially first class as it's a surprise for her birthday. We don't need to arrive in London until around 1 or 2pm and we'll either take the last trains back or come back the next evening/afternoon.

Any takers, or should I just hunt around online for cheap single+singles?
I suggest Chiltern, try to get a loco-hauled train if possible.

The 1055 is a loco hauled train and is only £7.50, and £5 singles on the way back available for 1937, 2010. 2037 and 2107.

I think the 1055 has accommodation that is effectively declassified 1st class. All Chiltern trains convey standard accommodation but one of the coaches in these sets is the "business zone" at peak times, which can be used for a £20 upgrade, however no charge is made off-peak
 

sutty

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2011
Messages
151
Hey guys.

Thanks for the replies. I managed to bag a couple of FC AP to Eus for £44 - which isn't *bad* per-se. I need to book the return *asap* however. Does the Chiltern website say which services are loco hauled? I can't stretch to FC on the way back but the stock they have is as good as ;)

Thanks again for all of your replies :)

Si
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
There is huge competition on the Birmingham Stations to London Terminals flow! The overall journey can be cheaper than intermediate journeys.
I know, from Droitwich Spa to London, going via New St (and then VT to Euston) used to be the best option 5 years ago, but now with competition (particularly with Evergreen and Cotswold improvements) from FGW, Chiltern and LM, it is now becoming quite complicated to work out the best choice.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Thank you once again :)

One last one. If I were to take a bottle of bubbly along, would it be frowned upon by the train staff? I very much dislike being frowned upon.

There is no reason why they would.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
Make sure you don't choose a train on which it is illegal to carry alcohol - mainly those expecting large numbers of people travelling to + from sports events.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top