Hydro
Established Member
- Joined
- 5 Mar 2007
- Messages
- 2,204
I think Sam Main's FB page said more about him than the video, and it still smacked of a tosser to me.
Taking the law into your own hands is straight out of the Daily Mail's textbook and is equally not a recipe for success.
By the way, I neither buy the guardian or the Daily Mail. I do occasionally dip into their websites.
Oh, and last time out (local elections) I voted Conservative.
That is an interesting viewpoint. What else had the "Big Man" tried as first resort? Do we see him talking to the younger man, asking him on behalf of other passengers to desist? Do we see him even saying "Shut up or I'll deck you"? I would suggest he actually took the law into his own hands as a first resort, and that - vigilanteism - is a very scary path to go down (regardless of what the offender was doing).The taking of the law into his own hands was done as a last resort. .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---'Big Man' train vigilante Alan Pollock invited to join US crimebusters group Guardian Angels
THE Big Man has been asked to join a US vigilante group.
Banker Alan Pollock, 34, has become an internet sensation after throwing student Sam Main, 19, off the 9.33pm Edinburgh to Perth train on Friday.
Footage of the incident has been watched by more than a million people around the world – and the dad-of-three could face an assault rap as a result.
Now a vigilante group have backed Alan and invited him to join them.
Andreas “Hawk” Schoyen, UK director of crimebusters Guardian Angels, said: “We would definitely like Alan to join us.
“We run a training programme which would help him to develop the correct skills to better handle situations like the one he found himself in.
“I have watched the footage on YouTube and I’d say Alan’s intentions are good but that he could do with some conflict resolution training.
“We could help him develop the physical skills and negotiation skills he needs. The Guardian Angels strongly believe in and applaud members of the public who dare to care about their community by *intervening and peacefully resolving conflicts on public transport.
“Citizen’s arrest is our last resort when dealing with a conflict *resolution. If such action needs to be taken, it should be done using minimum force and in accordance with the law.”
The red beret wearing Guardian Angels were founded in 1979 to combat violence and crime on New York’s subways.
Alan – a manager with £2.3trillion asset management firm BlackRock – was applauded by passengers and praised on the internet after his intervention. He stepped in after the ticket inspector repeatedly asked Sam to leave the train as he did not have a valid ticket.
Sam claimed he had been told that morning to buy two singles, as it would be cheaper, and had been given two tickets in the same direction by mistake.
He suffered cuts and bruises in the incident and has officially complained to British Transport Police. He said: “I was given no time to explain myself.”
It has been revealed the inspector has gone on annual leave and ScotRail have launched an investigation.
There was no answer at Alan’s home in Stirling last night. British Transport Police say the inquiry is ongoing.
I think Sam Main's FB page said more about him than the video, and it still smacked of a tosser to me.
I think Sam Main's FB page said more about him than the video, and it still smacked of a tosser to me.
He's hardly been that contentious on FB. Separate his own posts on his Wall from those of his FB 'friends'......
Would that last resort have been reached though if the conductor hadn't decided to delay the service?
I can't quite understand how the situation would've developed into either Sam Main or the conductor lashing out.
The only time we see any evidence of Sam Main acting in an aggressive manner is after he has been forcibly removed from his seat.
Correct - it wasn't for him to try any options. None of his business...
Oswyntail - it wasn't for bigman to try 'first resort' options...
Ah yes, that hoary old chestnut, as daft now as whenever it is used. Of course many people who ae not guards handle confrontation daily, and have a perfectly valid opinion....As this thread seems to be full of armchair experts who have clearly never done a Guard's job
With formal assertion, calmly, rationally, adultly, bringing the offender round, and implementing the appropriate procedure.... and I believe are incapable of doing the job, I'd like to pose a couple of questions.
1. How would you have handled it?
Was this an option? If (unlikely) I chose it, I would regret it..2. What would you do if you chose to let Mr Main have a free ride and had say 25 people gang up on you in the carriage for doing so?
Correct - it wasn't for him to try any options. None of his business
Ah yes, that hoary old chestnut, as daft now as whenever it is used. Of course many people who are not guards handle confrontation daily, and have a perfectly valid opinion.
With formal assertion, calmly, rationally, adultly, bringing the offender round, and implementing the appropriate procedure.
Was this an option? If (unlikely) I chose it, I would regret it
It saddens me to read thatNone of his business
Arguably, but then too many people stand off and do nothing then receive criticism for doing so.
Nope, it's an entirely valid criticism. It's too damn easy to sit at home passing judgment from behind a keyboard when you've never been there. It's then hilarious to see responses such as this, which just prove my point.
Ah yes, this is of course what the textbook says - I'll grant you that. And of course, if it says it in the textbook it must be right, because the textbook isn't a real-life scroat with no intention of being brought round.
Oh yes, this could've been an option. When your textbook response didn't work and you walked away as per what the textbook told you to do, that could be what happened. In fact, something similar happened to me only last week... although I'd only walked off to get a pen and paper so I could get details of an offender rather than given up to give him a free ride - it's just that 5 people in the carriage didn't realise that's what I was doing and decided to give me a hard time.:roll:
1. How would you have handled it?
By using the conflict resolution training I was taught during a brief spell in one of Brenda's hotels, which was added to and improved when I started working with young people.
I would refer you and others who believe this to the Regulation of Railways Act 1840, Section 16, which is still in force.An equally bizarre post - None of what you say allows someone who isn't involved in the discussion/dispute originally, is not employed by the railway, has no authority implied or otherwise from anyone with the power to grant him that authority, clearly doesn't know what he's doing in terms of restraint and removal and really just wants to show he's a big hard man to get involved and physically throw someone to the the floor using a dangerous hold in order to do so. ....
I would refer you and others who believe this to the Regulation of Railways Act 1840, Section 16, which is still in force.
XVI. And be it enacted, That if any Person shall wilfully obstruct or impede any Officer or Agent of any Railway Company in the Execution of his Duty upon any Railway, or upon or in any of the Stations or other Works or Premises connected therewith,..........and shall refuse to quit the same upon Request to him made by any Officer or Agent of the said Company, every such Person so offending, and all others aiding or assisting therein, shall and may be seized and detained by any such, Officer or Agent, or any Person whom he may call to his Assistance, until such Offender or Offenders can be conveniently taken before some Justice of the Peace for the County or Place wherein such Offence shall be committed, .......
Under such Legislation it used to be an Offence for a person so asked to assist, to fail to do so.
So legally Big Man was acting under the auspices of S16 once the Guard requested (which I believe/understand) he did
I would be interested to see which way this goes.If this matter should come before the courts, it will be interesting to see if Alan Pollock's defence team do actually enter a claim of acting under the stringencies of what you have quoted above.
This was the guidance given by the BT Police in Leeds in the 1970s, sadly I suspect that if tested, some liberal judge on Appeal would seek to close down that avenue as well, seeing that our Judiciary seem unwilling to take a hard stance against scum who terrorise and assualt others, but are happy to jail debtors and others who do not cause harm to others.
Both apply in Scotland and are not overwritten by any specific Scottish legislation according to the Government website, this means that there is no superior Law that can overtake its application.The Railway Byelaws appear to cover the UK but ultimately Scottish Law will apply.
That would seem a perfectly normal response from a teenager/young adult male who found himself in this situation because he had (allegedly) been mis-sold a ticket.
That is correct (other than, perhaps, the ECHR, which I'm quite sure will not be applied here).Both apply in Scotland and are not overwritten by any specific Scottish legislation according to the Government website, this means that there is no superior Law that can overtake its application.
I would refer you and others who believe this to the Regulation of Railways Act 1840, Section 16, which is still in force.
XVI. And be it enacted, That if any Person shall wilfully obstruct or impede any Officer or Agent of any Railway Company in the Execution of his Duty upon any Railway, or upon or in any of the Stations or other Works or Premises connected therewith,..........and shall refuse to quit the same upon Request to him made by any Officer or Agent of the said Company, every such Person so offending, and all others aiding or assisting therein, shall and may be seized and detained by any such, Officer or Agent, or any Person whom he may call to his Assistance, until such Offender or Offenders can be conveniently taken before some Justice of the Peace for the County or Place wherein such Offence shall be committed, .......
So legally Big Man was acting under the auspices of S16 once the Guard requested (which I believe/understand) he did.
Removal of the scrote was covered under the byelaws, but the assistance could only legally come from the 1840 RRA when requested, and for the purpose of detaining. One would thus anticipate that the intention to "detain" was withdrawn once the scrote was removed from the train.
Under such Legislation it used to be an Offence for a person so asked to assist, to fail to do so.
There are faults on both sides which make things far from clear, as the scrote was "damaged" by the Big Man, and there could well be a case of "unreasonable force" brought by the scrote.
[...]our Judiciary seem unwilling to take a hard stance against scum who terrorise and assualt others, but are happy to jail debtors and others who do not cause harm to others.
By using the conflict resolution training I was taught during a brief spell in one of Brenda's hotels, which was added to and improved when I started working with young people.
Further to that, can 'bigman' legitimately claim that scrote suffered injury because he was resisting his lawful removal?
There is no way the big guy on the train was any kind of a police officer as he would have been required to identify himself and show a warrant card, he would also have to warn the person he wanted to remove that he was arresting him and at that point advise said person that he was being arrested and would be removed.
Sniper, not so - read Old Timer's post above. At the point he laid a hand on him, he was acting lawfully. It seems that where he went wrong was not detaining him until such time as the Police could deal with the matter.... But then of course, those of us with practical knowledge know that the Police were unlikely to show.