• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best value with discounted travelcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leogilbert007

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2024
Messages
162
Location
Born under the Brixton sun
Hi all, happy new year

I have a Student 18+ (Turquoise) oyster with a Disabled Persons' Railcard linked. On it, I have a Z1-3 anytime travelcard, but on Sundays I walk the London Loop which requires travelling to Zones 6, 7, 8, and 9 so not covered - often ending up at tube stations which removes the possibility of CCSTs. I only venture there once a week so not worth a more expensive travelcard, which brings me onto my question:

I currently use PAYG for journeys not covered by my travelcard: Is this the best-value way of doing things, or am I missing something that would save me money, even a few pennies? Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
I imagine you're getting the best value already - your (train/tube) travel beyond zone 3, as paid for by PAYG, is already discounted courtesy of your Railcard (which as you say you have linked to your Oyster card).

How much of the Loop have you walked?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
The Student 18+ Oyster gives you a 30% discount on your Zones 1-3 Travelcard. You'll get a 34% discount on PAYG fares outside of Zones 1-3. I don't think you'll beat this, especially if you're travelling to one station and returning from another.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
The Student 18+ Oyster gives you a 30% discount on your Zones 1-3 Travelcard. You'll get a 34% discount on PAYG fares outside of Zones 1-3. I don't think you'll beat this, especially if you're travelling to one station and returning from another.

The only further thing that sprang to mind would be to try and avoid the PAYG peak... but of course, travelling on a Sunday there is no PAYG peak!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
The only further thing that sprang to mind would be to try and avoid the PAYG peak... but of course, travelling on a Sunday there is no PAYG peak!
And a Disabled Railcard gets discount on PAYG peak fares as well.
 

Leogilbert007

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2024
Messages
162
Location
Born under the Brixton sun
Thanks so much for all your answers! Guess I was indeed trying to have my cake and eat it, I'll stick to the current setup...
How much of the Loop have you walked?
Not a lot so far, High Barnet to Cockfosters and Enfield Lock to Chingford, both of which were beautiful and which I highly recommend. Planning to walk at least one section every week.

And when I've walked sections 1-24, onwards to the Thames Path!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top