• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best suburban MU in Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I hate 378s. Really nasty units with a hideous brown and orange colour scheme. It is very similar to an ancient bus we have running in our local area (the seats) this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16725528@N07/6097900578/

I preferred the 313s!

This I agree with, they would be decent if they didn't have the London underground seats in, especially for journeys like Richmond-Stratford and Eusotn-Watford. IMO I reckon they could fit a few more seats in if they were put in the 'Normal' way
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
This I agree with, they would be decent if they didn't have the London underground seats in, especially for journeys like Richmond-Stratford and Eusotn-Watford. IMO I reckon they could fit a few more seats in if they were put in the 'Normal' way

Yeah do what they've done with S8s on LU. Have some longitudinal and some transverse
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
This I agree with, they would be decent if they didn't have the London underground seats in, especially for journeys like Richmond-Stratford and Eusotn-Watford.
But they're not really designed for through journeys between Richmond & Stratford. That roundabout journey takes about 65 mins on LO, compared to about 45 mins via SWT & Jubilee line. Similarly there are other, faster trains between Euston & Watford.

IMO I reckon they could fit a few more seats in if they were put in the 'Normal' way
But the whole point is to have fewer seats and more standing room - just like on many other 'metro' routes - to cope with large numbers of people taking relatively short journeys.
 

RAGNARØKR

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2010
Messages
571
Location
Göteborg
This I agree with, they would be decent if they didn't have the London underground seats in, especially for journeys like Richmond-Stratford and Eusotn-Watford. IMO I reckon they could fit a few more seats in if they were put in the 'Normal' way
The 378s are similar to the original electric trains used on the line, introduced in 1916. But those also had a few ex-first class which were the height of Edwardian luxury.
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
If we're only doing inner-suburban stuff then it's 315s for me. If outer-suburban counts as well, then my username and avatar ought to give it away!
 

aylesbury

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
622
Chiltern class 158 comfortable seats,good enviroment for passengers,plua an exteremely smooth ride.
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
Chiltern class 158 comfortable seats,good enviroment for passengers,plua an exteremely smooth ride.

Don't you mean Chiltern Class 168, as they do not have any class 158's. Chiltern have Class 165's, 168's and 172's.
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Class 170 or the decent 150s (the ones that you find on Colne-Blackpool on a good day). I also like the 156.

170s one of the best suburban units? :shock: :lol: Good for nothing gutless units more like!

I agree with the 150s and 156s though, they have been good solid workhorses since they were first built and introduced.

185s if given a few extra seats would be bloody good on the hilly commuter routes around Leeds, SHeffield and Manchester, with the added benefit of ripping the current schedules to shreds.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Northern's 333s are IMHO the best suburban MUs in the UK, but I really don't mind LM's 323s/170s which I use almost every day now. I've not missed NR's 142s/150s on my old commute one bit!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top