• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best suburban MU in Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2012
Messages
842
Location
Down south
Following on from the best EMU thread I was wondering what people.thought was the best suburban MU - can be diesel or electric. This does not include tube/metro/trams.

I think my favourite is the Class 376. Although it could do with toilets, I always prefer one to a networker for suburban journeys.

So what is your favourite suburban MU?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
LO 378 or the 376 for me. Spacious, clean (usually), comfortable on quick journeys, great layout for lots of suburban commuters, good acceleration etc
 

RAGNARØKR

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2010
Messages
571
Location
Göteborg
Siemens class 450. Provided it IS only used on suburban services. Comfortable seats for a short journey and high quality interior finish.

Class 378 - simple internal layout with longitudinal seating makes the most efficient and effective use of the Electrostar bodyshell design, appropriate for the type of service on which they are operating.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
South West Trains refurbished (red livery) 455s.
Yes they are a huge improvement on their original configuration.
 

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
100 mph capable class 317s are used on Abellio's London Liverpool Street to Chingford route where the fastest they can go is 50 mph. Are there any other examples like this?
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
A break from the trend of electric trains and I will go for the class 172: good layout with excellent acceleration for a DMU and 100mph top speed - copes brilliantly with Snow Hill services. Also, sometimes, they will attempt to imitate the sound of a EMU (I'm thinking 455s). :)
 

VTPreston_Tez

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2012
Messages
1,159
Location
Preston
Class 170 or the decent 150s (the ones that you find on Colne-Blackpool on a good day). I also like the 156.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
GA's 315s win for me, if we are talking proper inner-suburban MUs only. NX did a very good job on the refurbishment, and they can also carry alot of people. They are dreadful for longer journeys, but for short station to station hops they are second to none.

Adam :D
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Problem with the 315s is that they're in poor condition- the SWT 455 refurb showed what's possible with older stock.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Amazingly enough, the 357! :shock: For the job they do they are pretty much perfect. OK, so a small First Class provision would help, as would a bit more standing room (2+2 perhaps?), and gangways, but these aren't important! They're surprisingly good units.

I would suggest that the 444 and 350 are the closest to it but neither really counts as suburban for me, even the 350/2s; ditto the 442s which I claimed to be #1 in the other thread. 312s were good too, but obviously they don't run these days so I shall overlook them. Therefore, my choice for "Best of the Rest" goes to the 507/508. Very similar to the 313/4/5, but they feel like a mix of everything that is good about the AC lot with everything bad about them - apart from the drone which I'm not overly keen on - left in London/Glasgow. Their interior layout feels so much better for a suburban route too; less seating space but what does exist is more generous than the usual 2+2 configuration on a seat-by-seat basis, and their upkeep and appearance are highly commendable.

Among diesel units, I shall proclaim the 143 <D

And at the other end? Which is last? Take a wild guess <D


:roll:
 

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
The SWT refurbed 455s get my vote - they are perfect for what a suburban MU needs to be - plenty of capacity for standing and plenty of seats.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
And at the other end? Which is last? Take a wild guess <D

I thought you quite liked the 507/508s :lol:


I might faint. :roll:

For me, I'd say the 150s for DMUS - I think they're pretty much ideal for suburban work on non-electrified lines. As for electrified lines, I'd have to say that, although I prefer 323s overall as units, I'd have to say that the 333s over in Leeds are better for suburban work.
 

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
I have to agree with others and say a SWT 455 because of the reasons already mentioned. Having said that when I was a kid and I'd go to London I quite liked the NSE 455 but looking back they are very...yeah
But then there's the 185s. Controversial maybe but I quite like them. Good acceleration and are well suited to he transpennine routes. If they were longer that last statement would be true;)
If we were to allow tube trains I'd say a 1973 stock (not including the 1938 stock)
Wy because they're like a 455 (metaphorically speaking) because they were extensively refurbished and are now in an incredibly good condition. They're the most reliable LU train.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Might I draw everyone's attention to my new sig please? <D

I thought you quite liked the 507/508s :lol:

Unlike their AC counterparts, they're decent little units. And as you said in person last Monday, passing through the central sections on Merseyrail is almsot Pacer-esque courtesy of the extreme screeching :p
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Might I draw everyone's attention to my new sig please? <D
Advertising your hatred towards 323s now are we? You really are trying to provoke another all-on-Ivo discussion/argument [delete as appropriate] aren't you. :roll:
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
For me it is as follows:

1st: 378
2nd: 450
3rd: 455

Hate the ride place: 458, which if you read my previous posts is not surprising.
 

phil281

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2011
Messages
186
Top 3: 1: Class 465/466 (Spacious, bright, comfy seats, love the ding when the doors are released)
2: SWT 455 (Spacious, everyone gets on and off quick, just a nice place to be inside)
3: Class 377 (Spacious, seats line up with windows, air con works properly)

Bottom 3: 1: Class 450 (Caustrophobic, nasty seats, takes ages to open doors, terrible ride when standing up, toilets never work, air con is rubbish)
2: Class 378 (Are the seats some sort of joke?)
3: Class 315 (Tired, nasty seats)
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I should also add the Class 158 and 156 although some of the 156's ive been on, I wouldnt go on again
 
Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I wouldn't really call a 158 a suburban unit, but I guess the criteria's somewhat open.

For me it would have to be the 378.
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
465/ 466. Or the 165s for diesels. Closely followed by the 334s.
Not sure what people have got against the 458s. Havent been on one for a while, but they seemed pleasant enough last time I stepped foot aboard.
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
For me, the best suburban DMU would have to be the LM 172s, which have great acceleration, are spacious and are relatively quiet as far as DMUs go.

Best suburban EMU would be the 465/466 Networkers - they are spacious, bright, have brilliant acceleration, and they make a great sound (like a hyped up F1 car, really).
 

Coolguy22468

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2012
Messages
107
Location
United Kingdom
For me it would have to be the Class 144. The do move about loads and rightfully have the name nodding donkeys but they have been very cheap and economical an have managed to last much longer than planned and when they are used on smooth track they are great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top