• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best station to spot units and services

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
Evening all,

In your opinion, where are some of the best stations to grab a load of observations?

For me, I'm very much into jotting down what units are on what service, for example:

221125 1S45 0925 Plymouth to Aberdeen
175105 1V32 0555 Crewe to Carmarthen.

If you have a look at the 'Trains you've seen working thread', you'll see what I mean!

My personal favourite is platforms 13 and 14 at Manchester Piccadilly, simply because of the fact they are through platforms and see many trains stopping, but also because it has a clear view across the terminal platforms.

Furthermore, as I am on my phone a lot for Real Time Trains, I like places that have plug sockets for me to charge my phone if need be. Piccadilly's platforms 13 and 14 waiting rooms have plug sockets in them. I was recently at Havant which, whilst it sees a fair few services, has an Uppercrust cafe on each platform with a plug socket too, so I can spot units there.

I'm basically after the best stations with plug sockets to nab units. Go go go! :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Condor7

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2012
Messages
1,083
Location
Penrith
Leeds is a great station for units. They come in and out so frequently I find it hard to keep up especially as it seems you and I record our sightings in a very similar way.

The only problem is I have have a phone with a great battery life so have never been there long enough to need to charge it so cannot comment on charging facilities but maybe others will know.
 

palmersears

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2011
Messages
1,487
Just get yourself a power pack to charge the phone on the go. World is your oyster then!
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
When we go through Stafford and Nuneaton always seems to be a fair few out for the trains. Reasonable amount of units at both and a decent amount of freight and various workings too.
Fairly sure Stafford at least has power points in the waiting rooms
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
When we go through Stafford and Nuneaton always seems to be a fair few out for the trains. Reasonable amount of units at both and a decent amount of freight and various workings too.
Fairly sure Stafford at least has power points in the waiting rooms

You are correct! P 3/4 waiting rooms all have power points. not sure about the rest
 

djpontrack

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2011
Messages
1,025
Location
Morecambe
I quite like Preston as you get all the West Coast Main Line stuff (Virgin, TPE and freight) and plenty of Northern units including class 319s going to Liverpool which are a favourite of mine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top