• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best spots in the US for spotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Hi folks,

I am planning a late break for mid September and thinking abour a city break in the US. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a city that has some good/safe spotting locations.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holly

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
783
Hi folks,
I am planning a late break for mid September and thinking abour a city break in the US. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a city that has some good/safe spotting locations.
Oakland, California.

Amtrak and freight trains running through city streets are pretty exotic for a Brit. Sacramento railroad museum, historic street cars and cable cars in San Francisco, plus commuter trains and BART.
Lots of rail by North American standards plus everyone should see San Francisco once in their life (including the preserved Liberty Ship).
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Depends what you're looking for I guess. The Oakland idea sounds particularly tempting.

I spent a week or so in New York/New Jersey earlier on in the year and had a great time all in all. Would recommend Princeton Junction and Rathway (both in NJ) on the North East Corridor Line for spotting. Northeast Regional and Acela Express, as well as NJ Commuter stock can all be seen here.

Rush hour in Jamaica on the LIRR is also a great sight.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Plenty round Chicago. Blue Island crossing has a good amount of freight activity - about a 15 minute walk from a station (the name of which I forget but can look up if required).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top