Not so much for the scenic nature of the routes, but is anyone able to confirm whether this map from 2018, still available on the relevant website, is still more or less accurate? https://www.visitswanseabay.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Adventures-in-Gower-2018.pdf
Swansea City Bus Station re-opened in July 2020.The web address on the "back" is wrong (.com is a junk site, .co.uk is correct!) also leads to a promising looking list of downloads of First services (https://swanseabaywithoutacar.co.uk/downloads-timetables/), but they also date from 2018/19!
Also, can anyone advise on the position with the 116? Bustimes helpfully shows it as a joint operation between NAT and DANSA, but DANSA themselves don't mention on their website (then again, they also still list Swansea Bus Station as closed, which I rather hope it isn't). Are their journeys (presumably anything not shown by NAT on their single-operator service) run by a "proper bus", or are we looking more at elbows only on a welfare Sprinter?
Thanks!
The bus over Caerphilly mountain is quite scenic; I used to use it regularly (2000-2005) to travel between the Heath and Caerphilly Miners' Hospitals.This thread is giving me ideas for next weekend, using the multi operator ticket. Any good ideas for circular trips starting and finishing in Cardiff or starting in Newport and finishing in Cardiff?
122 Cardiff to TonypandyThis thread is giving me ideas for next weekend, using the multi operator ticket. Any good ideas for circular trips starting and finishing in Cardiff or starting in Newport and finishing in Cardiff?
Thanks for the info. I ended up travelling on the valley lines rather than the buses. But next time I will sample the buses.122 Cardiff to Tonypandy
172 Tonypandy to Aberdare
9 Aberdare to Merthyr
1 Merthyr to Bargoed
X38 Bargoed to Pontypridd
T4 Pontypridd to Cardiff
If pushed for time Merthyr to Cardiff on the T4
Just posted about the 172 in the trip report thread
I did wonder if somebody would suggest the A470 Merthyr Tydfil - Brecon: it is one of my favourite roads in Wales because of the scenery. If you were looking for scenic routes to cover by forms of transport other than a bus then another one I commend to you is the A465 between Glynneath and Neath: this one is best done in the down direction which is more scenic than going up the valley. The Maerdy and Rhigos mountain roads are also favourites of mine, the Rhigos more so. If you like driving along wooded routes then the A40 road is a good trip between Brecon and Llandovery, via. Sennybridge and Halfway: this one is covered (between Brecon and, I think, Sennybridge) by the Traws Cymru T6 route.The T4 north of Merthyr is also spectacular
Agreed about the Llandrindid - Aberystwyth route, at least in part. My employer sent me up to Aberystwyth a few weeks back and my GPS sent me back along the A44 between Aberystwyth and Llangurig, via. Capel Bangor, which I think is the stretch you refer to. It is indeed well worth the trip. Google Maps says that the A44 stretch in question is covered by routes X47 (Celtic Travel) and 525 (Mid-Wales Travel) but I am not sure if that is currently the case.I enjoyed a run on Traws-Cambria from Llandrindod Wells to Newtown via Llanbister and back last week. The bus from Llandrindod to Aberystwyth is also a fine scenic ride (though it goes via Capel Bangor and not the even more scenic route via Devil's Bridge). Most of the mid-Wales routes from Llandrindod and Rhayader are scenic.