• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best railway related films

Status
Not open for further replies.

t o m

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2011
Messages
304
Robbery - Stanley Baker, George Sewell, Barry Foster, 1967

My Grandad is driving the train with the film crew on that filmed the train during the opening credits and is also driving another train that is in the film later on. Stanley Baker also wore his hat and coat. They filmed it in Thedingworth, near where I live.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,725
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
One I've yet to see but heard good things about: the Ealing classic "The Ladykillers". With wonderful vintage scenes on the exit out of Kings Cross.

HST Power - your TGV comment reminds me, when the film was being shot, there was a full-sized wooden mock-up of a TGV, sat for a week by platform 10 at Liverpool Street. I didn't see anyone try to board it, though...
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
HST Power - your TGV comment reminds me, when the film was being shot, there was a full-sized wooden mock-up of a TGV, sat for a week by platform 10 at Liverpool Street. I didn't see anyone try to board it, though...

Really?! In the film itself, the train is heading for London Kings Cross, but I don't know where it's coming from so there could be a connection! Mind you, the film is terrible!
 

Rugd1022

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2010
Messages
565
Location
Rugby
My Grandad is driving the train with the film crew on that filmed the train during the opening credits and is also driving another train that is in the film later on. Stanley Baker also wore his hat and coat. They filmed it in Thedingworth, near where I live.

Great to know that, thanks Tom ;).

I've been to the bridge at Theddingworth where the robbery sequence is filmed, apart from the bushes and trees growing it's hardly changed at all.

Was your Grandad a Rugby man...? If he was, I know several people who would have known him back in BR days.

N ;)
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
Agreed and Oh Mr Porter as well :)

I especially like their way of handling "lost property" in Oh Mr Porter in the scene involving the cast having breakfast and the angry farmer!

I also think The Navigators.

Anyone remeber the scene in the chippy, about the sardines and jumbo sausage? :lol:
 

t o m

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2011
Messages
304
Great to know that, thanks Tom ;).

I've been to the bridge at Theddingworth where the robbery sequence is filmed, apart from the bushes and trees growing it's hardly changed at all.

Was your Grandad a Rugby man...? If he was, I know several people who would have known him back in BR days.

N ;)

He was based at Market Harborough and Leicester in his time on the railways. He said the other drivers in the film were from Rugby. He worked on the railways for 43 years. I actually only found out about the film last week as he just happend to be watching it when my Mum went round to see him, the film was made a year before she born. I remember him mentioning to me when I was about ten that he drove a train in a film but it didn't really register then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top