• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best railway related films

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2011
Messages
1,920
Location
Wigan, Greater manchester
1: The taking of Pelham 123 (Original) The remake was not a patch on the original

2: Runaway train (John Voight)

Both classics in my opinion although American based!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ungreat

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2006
Messages
964
Titfield Thunderbolt
The C4 one about the trackworkers(forgot the name)
The Love Match
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
I do remember enjoying the Kassandra crossing about 20 years ago but I haven't seen it on telly since.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Anyone got any opinion on Unstoppable from last year?

I have had it recommended - just need to get round to watching it but wondering what other people thought of it?
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,553
Location
Geordie back from exile.
2: Runaway train (John Voight)
Pedant mode....Sorry, but it is Jon Voight. I'm a huge Seinfeld fan and the episode where George buys a car owned by a John Voight thinking it was Jon Voight is one of the best ever. :lol::lol:

[/pedant]

Anyhoo I agree with vote for the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123, Walter Matthau was just fantastic. The Titfield Thunderbolt also rates highly on the railway movie-ometer, wonderful stuff. Even Sid James got involved..:lol:
 

strange6

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2011
Messages
1,920
Location
Wigan, Greater manchester
Pedant mode....Sorry, but it is Jon Voight. I'm a huge Seinfeld fan and the episode where George buys a car owned by a John Voight thinking it was Jon Voight is one of the best ever. :lol::lol:

[/pedant]

Anyhoo I agree with vote for the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123, Walter Matthau was just fantastic. The Titfield Thunderbolt also rates highly on the railway movie-ometer, wonderful stuff. Even Sid James got involved..:lol:

Thanks for that! You have good taste in films :)
 

gedj2

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
51
Location
Wigan, UK
without a doubt, two classics,

1. The Ghost Train - Arthur Askey (c1941)
2. Oh Mr Porter - Will Hay (c1937)
 
Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
Bridge on the River Kwai (losely railway related)
The Great St Trinans Train Robbery (though full of continuity errors)
and im suprised Buster hasn't come up yet Phil Collins was amazing in that.
 

Rugd1022

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2010
Messages
565
Location
Rugby
Robbery - Stanley Baker, George Sewell, Barry Foster, 1967
The Train - Burt Lancaster, 1964

;)
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Isn't really a railway film but I was in fits of laughter in the first Mission Impossible where Tom Cruise is chasing after the TGV! Couldn't believe how bad it was! :lol:
 

Ibex

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2010
Messages
800
Anyone got any opinion on Unstoppable from last year?

I have had it recommended - just need to get round to watching it but wondering what other people thought of it?

I saw this at the cinema when it was released and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not exactly realistic but it was a very good watch nonetheless.

The storyline is simple which does leave you to enjoy the action and effects, rather than be spending the film wondering what relevance an event has to something that happened 5 minutes beforehand.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Bridge on the River Kwai (losely railway related)
The Great St Trinans Train Robbery (though full of continuity errors)
and im suprised Buster hasn't come up yet Phil Collins was amazing in that.

Hi, Brief Encounter, From Russia with Love, Spy Who Loved Me, Carry On Spying, Murder on the Orient Express, a few Various Poirots and Miss. Marples, (Rutherford & Hickson) all had quite a bit of UK or European Rail scenes.

I too thought of the The Great St Trinans Train Robbery, there was quite a bit of train action towards the end of that with steam, DMU, little railman's car and Diesel goods, I have often wondered where that part of the film was shot.
I wonder who also agrees with me, that those films of the 195os and 1960s, (St Ts, Carry Ons, Michael Caine, Earlier Jmes Bonds, Connery, Lazonby & Moore, etc. are often far better than the stuff that is made today, even though the technology now is no doubt better.?
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Agreed and Oh Mr Porter as well :)

I especially like their way of handling "lost property" in Oh Mr Porter in the scene involving the cast having breakfast and the angry farmer!

I watched Oh Mr Porter for the first time a couple of days ago, and what a brilliant film! Swapping tickets for bacon and eggs even though no trains stopped at the station!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top