• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best post-1998 built rolling stock for comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Based on passenger comfort only and ignoring the size of trains, which post-1998 built rolling stock would you prefer for a 2 hour journey? You can pick one diesel type and one electric type.

For diesel I would say 170. Comfortable seating and quiet engine for a diesel.

Tbh for an electric I haven't been on a post-1998 build I would like to be on. I would say 390 if they were refurbished with less seating and seating aligned to windows, otherwise a 350 if they had more comfortable 2+2 seating.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
I'm inclined to agree with both jcollins and 142094: I would say 170s and 333s, they're both excellent trains, and the seating fitted as standard to many of the earlier Turbo sub-classes (170/1, 170/5 and 170/6 for a start, I can't remember whether the Scotrail units have the same type of seat since my last trip on one of their 170/4s) is particularly comfortable IMO.

The 180s are good too, I like the fact that the interior layout consists primarily of table bays lined up with the windows, and the seats are good too, but it's debateable whether one could remain operational for a whole two hours <D ;)
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I agree, 170s are very comfortable trains and the engine is very quiet usually. To be honest I haven't been on many post-1998 trains (as you can tell in my signature). Most comfortable electric train would be a pendolino (from my limited choice).
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I would take a 170 over a 158, love the way on a 170s have comfortable seating than those buckets on some northern 158s :)
 
Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Class 334 is comfortable as it has the right mix of seating and the 172 just to be different :)
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
For Mainland based DMUs - Its got to be a 180 for me, good fast comfortable units, with a far better interior layout than the likes of a Voyager or Meridian!

For non mainland based units, id have to say its got to be Translink / NI Railways CAF 3000 / 3CKs - For all the same reasons as the 332/333s!

EMU Wise - CAF 332 / 333. Good fast comfortable units, with a nice cool and quiet interior - and incredibly spacious interior too, with pretty high ceilings and deccent size lugguage racks - not even a patch on the cramped plastic offering from Bombardier (electrostar)!...Pretty close behind though, id have to admit is the Siemens Desiro family (444 / 350/1 & 450)
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
I'd go with a 170 (and a 168, its essentially the same train) for diesels. They really are a pleasant place to be inside.

A Pendolino is nice if you get a window seat.
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
I find the 180 a very comfortable train to travel on even in the airline seats. I recently caught a 334 and found it comfortable to travel Edinburgh to Glasgow on.
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
I'd agree with 180s. It's a pity, I think, that delivery times and reliability were not as good as they could be, since they knock Voyagers into a cocked hat, if anyone was to ask me.
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Class 180 for sure, sadly we don't get them down my way now (HST's are better though).
Class 159's aren't bad, the 158's with FGW currently just don't have enough legroom for me, my legs are touching the seat in front.

I've never been in an electric (:oops:) so can't comment on them.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
For me, probably a 180, although a 175 (although I've never travelled on one) would probably provide the same level of comfort given they belong to the same family.

The most comfortable EMU I've travelled on would be a 450. Compared to 444s they feel a lot more spacious.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,466
Location
Cambridge
Would probably be the 180s (or 175s) for me, much more pleasant than Voyagers. If only they worked properly!

The 170s are mixed in my view. Some are really comfortable (CrossCountry ones stand out for me), but the seats in the TPE 170s I find to be particularly firm and I never enjoy travelling on these.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Arriva's 175s are excellent (same as 180s really) for quiet, space and alignment.
170s have some good seats but too many are badly sited.
Priority seats in a 221 are very good too.
Somehow the 185, despite being very similar in layout to the electric 350/1, never seems to work for me seat-wise. Noisy and too many sight obstructions I think.

Probably 350/1 for electrics.
I've only had one ride in a 380 but they seem good too.
I like the priority seats in a 390.

It's very subjective, but the door warbles on the 221/390 are more bearable than the others on a journey with many stops - slightly more relaxed/musical.
On the other hand the intrusive rising alarm tones you keep hearing (toilets etc) are very annoying.

And I can't stand the KERRUMP of the Desiro doors crashing shut every 5 minutes.
They must have been told to emulate a Southern slam-door EMU and did it all too well.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
Best DMU for me has to be 180s very nice interior with comfy seating and not too much noise for a DMU but as others said it's just a shame about the reliability.

Best EMU I would say is the 332 standard class is about as good as most trains first class!
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,893
Location
South Wales
diesel - crosscountry & London Midland class 170's and the class 175's. I havnt been on a class 180 so i cannot comment.

for electric I would have to say the class 332 for heathrow express
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
Class 180 for sure, sadly we don't get them down my way now (HST's are better though).
Class 159's aren't bad, the 158's with FGW currently just don't have enough legroom for me, my legs are touching the seat in front.

I've never been in an electric (:oops:) so can't comment on them.

I think the new seats that FGW put into the 158s are not bad; i always try to go for a table, so I rarely have complaints about legroom, mind.
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
Comfort-wise, for DMU it would be 175 and for EMU it would be 444. (Although my favourite modern EMU is the 333, I think that 444s are more comfortable.)
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
best trains ATW have in terms of comfort, did do a long enough trip on the refurbished class 158's though so cannot comment on them

I haven't been on a refurbished 158 yet either, but I much preferred the 175's to the 158's, and I doubt the refurb will change my perception that much!
 

lemonic

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
497
You didn't specify it had to be UK-based rolling stock, so I will go for the ICE3! Comfortable, reclining seats with ample leg room as well as the wonderful ambience of the whole carriage: unbeatable!
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
Most 170s for diesel. Electric is difficult as hardly any have had comfortable seats. I'll go with the only 2 I can think of with comfortable enough seats. Either a 375 (not a 375/9), Or a 333. Virtually everything else needs new seats in my opinion.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
I'd go for a 175/180 on the diesel front; if you ignore all the introduction and subsequent reliability problems they're actually pretty good trains from a passenger perspective. As for EMUs, the 333s seem popular and from my limited experience they are pretty good, but I'd rather not be on a train with 3+2 seating for two hours. I would say an original interior 442, but as it has to be current I'll go for a 444.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,583
Location
LBK
Diesel - 222 (no argument1) :lol:
Electric - 390
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
You didn't specify it had to be UK-based rolling stock, so I will go for the ICE3! Comfortable, reclining seats with ample leg room as well as the wonderful ambience of the whole carriage: unbeatable!

Well I didn't although I was trying to get at post-BR stock.

I would rather see 4 car 170s on TPE. However, if a 4 car option of the Renfe MD R-599 was available as an option that'd be even better - they're very spacious internally and are utilised effectively on bendy, mountain climbing tracks where they are surprisingly quiet in operation.

http://www.renfe.com/EN/empresa/comunicacion/productos_trenes/md_599.html
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
For electric, I'm gonna have to say Class 444s, they are magnificent and I actually prefer them to 442s in just about every way (as far as I can tell, this isn't a wide-held opinion, does anyone else agree with me?) and for Diesel stock, a tie between Class 175 and a lightly loaded Virgin 221 (I have never been on a 180 or 222).
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
444s? They don't ride as well as 442s, and the air con is rather noisy, but the seats, while they may seem firm initially, aren't bad in terms of space & legroom, I think. You've got quite good visibility, since the window pillars are fairly narrow, which is also an advantage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top