• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Option for peak London Daytrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotton

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
101
Hi all, this has probably been posted many times before, but I am wondering what the best option is for a Daytrip around London Z1-6 (and how much extra it would cost for Z7-9 to be included).

I will be arriving off the Highland Caledonian Sleeper (approx 8am), so well before the off peak cap starts. I have a 16-25 railcard and do not hold an Oyster card. I see from the TFL website that there is no Railcard discount on anytime day travelcards, could someone advise if there is a location outside of London from which it would be cheaper to buy a Railcard discounted anytime day travelcard (if such a location exists).

I am apprehensive about using contactless due to issues surrounding the max journey time limit.

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,801
Location
UK
Paper Travelcards are available in Anytime as well as Off-Peak variants. There is no 16-25 Railcard discount on inboundary Anytime Day Travelcards but there is on outboundary ones, subject to a £20.30 minimum fare.

If you want an Anytime Day Travelcard (ADT), there is no difference in price (as a 16-25 Railcard holder) between a Zones 1-6 and Zones 1-9 Travelcard - both will be available at the £20.30 minimum fare. So you may as well buy the latter, e.g. from Watford Junction or somewhere else outwith the Zones, to get a bit of extra validity for free.

If you are prepared to wait until 9:30 to start your journeys, you can use an Off-Peak Day Travelcard (ODT). In this case, the general £12 minimum fare for 16-25 Railcard discounted tickets applies until 10am. So if you wanted to travel after 9:30 but before before 10am, you would need to buy an ODT 'capped' at the minimum fare of £12. Again, here there is no difference between a Zones 1-6 and Zones 1-9 Travelcard as both will be available at £12. So you may as well buy the latter, e.g. from Amersham.

If you are prepared to wait until 10am to start your journeys, the £12 minimum fare no longer applies and so it is then cheapest to buy a fully discounted ODT. Within Zones 1-6 this would be £9.50; to add on Zones 7-9 would be an extra 60p.

Oyster fares work slightly differently and it may be worthwhile obtaining an Oyster card and having your Railcard added to it - though there is now a £5 'deposit' payable (this is non-refundable but is added as credit after 12 months). On Oyster, your Railcard will not give you any discount for "peak" fares or caps, however you will get the full discount from 9:30. The Oyster system will stop charging you once you hit the relevant daily cap.

The relevant daily Oyster caps are:

Zones 1-6Zones 1-9
Peak£14.10£20.00
Off-Peak£9.30£9.30

Peak fares are charged for most journeys touching in between 16:00-19:00 (and so will not receive any Railcard discount), however any journeys made during this time will still count towards the Off-Peak cap (which is Railcard discounted as above).

So as you can see, in all cases it is cheaper to use Oyster, even if travelling at peak times. However, that does subject you to the maximum journey times. These can be fairly easily worked around by simply touching out and back in every time you change trains, but I appreciate that could be a bit of a hassle.

If you don't want to have to obtain an Oyster card and pay a deposit, you can always use a contactless card/device instead. Obviously you would not receive any Railcard discount, however, as calculations are done by the back office system rather than on-the-fly, you will sometimes be charged less than the above caps. For example, this would be if it found that it was cheaper to use a Zones 1-5 cap plus a Zones 6-9 extension fare, rather than a Zones 1-9 cap (even if you didn't stop or touch in/out in Zone 5). By contrast, Oyster only applies extension fares if you have a weekly/monthly/annual Travelcard already loaded - otherwise it just caps based on the Zones where you touch in and out.
 
Last edited:

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,614
With contactless, just leave the system every 70 minutes (90 minutes within zones 1-4) and it will be fine, everything will be worked out later. You also have the chance to call TfL and amend something - obviously you can't change your entire travel history but you can add a "missing" touch if that would fix a problem with the charges.

I realise you have a potential discount from your railcard, but if you're prepared to pay the daily cap amount anyway, you can just leave and enter the system as often as possible with contactless and don't need to worry about standalone validators / continuation exits messing up which could happen with oyster
 

Shotton

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
101
Thank you for your helpful replies. Given as I don't think I want to wait until 9:30/10, I will buy the anytime z1-9 travelcard from Watford Junction - doesn't seem worth it to register an oyster card with deposit for the 30p saving.

Am I right in saying I should be able to buy this on the day? Would buy it in advance, but, who knows, the sleeper might be late :lol:
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,801
Location
UK
Thank you for your helpful replies. Given as I don't think I want to wait until 9:30/10, I will buy the anytime z1-9 travelcard from Watford Junction - doesn't seem worth it to register an oyster card with deposit for the 30p saving.

Am I right in saying I should be able to buy this on the day? Would buy it in advance, but, who knows, the sleeper might be late :lol:
Yes, that will be available on the day. You can buy it online and pick it up at a ticket machine, or buy it on a ticket machine (though not all sell tickets from other origins), or go to a ticket office.

The only real advantage to buying it ahead of time is that you wouldn't be eligible for delay compensation if any disruption already exists when you buy your ticket. If you buy through one of the GTR sites, you can get a fee-free refund if you don't pick up your tickets so that's probably what I'd do.
 

Shotton

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
101
Thank you for all your help. I'll buy it from the Southern website to pick up on the day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top