• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Open-Top Bus Route You've Been On

Have You Ever Been on an Open Top Bus?

  • Yes

  • No


Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I don't believe Arriva operate any open top services in North Wales now.

Though, it goes without saying, with it being Arriva, finding any concrete information either way isn't easy.

  • It's probably a dumb question (as it would require them to be entrepreneurial) but does Arriva have any O/T services now? I recall Rhyl and a limited Southport offering in the past.
Unfortunately you are both correct.
I live in the area and haven't seen any Arriva open-toppers since a few years before the pandemic.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
614
Location
Lancashire
It's probably a dumb question (as it would require them to be entrepreneurial) but does Arriva have any O/T services now? I recall Rhyl and a limited Southport offering in the past.

There's nothing open top in Rhyl or Southport now.


The Keswick O/T 78 route is nice, although I would say the 77/77A via Catbells is more scenic than the 78 via the main road.

I would agree with TheGrandWazoo that the best O/Ts are the ones that First run in Somerset/Dorset/Devon/Cornwall. It's been a few years since I was last at Weymouth but I don't remember any of the Jurassic Coasters being open top. Is that a recent addition?
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
23,022
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There's nothing open top in Rhyl or Southport now.

It's been a few years since I was last at Weymouth but I don't remember any of the Jurassic Coasters being open top. Is that a recent addition?
Weymouth's open top operations in Southern National days were Portland Bill and Bowleaze Cove. Under First, it dwindled to a one bus Portland operation. However, Portland was improved a few years ago and in 2021, the open top X52 from Wool to Bridport was introduced as an overlay to the existing closed top, year round services.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,278
A vote from me for the Needles Breezer- certainly the last bit from Alum Bay along the cliff road to the Needles Battery.
The Needles Breezer isn't just a nice scenic journey, it's also a very useful public transport connection around the west of the IoW. Indeed it was by far the best way for me to get to my B&B from the Yarmouth ferry!
 

PTR 444

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2019
Messages
2,647
Location
Wimborne
The New Forest Tour routes are very good. So far I’ve only done the green and blue routes around the Beaulieu and New Milton areas respectively, but hoping to do the red route which covers the northern half of the forest this year. There’s a bit of route that goes underneath the Ampress low bridge near Lymington, and hence you are instructed to remain seated!
 

E27007

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
1,044
One for the historians:
It would be around 1990. An open-top bus being used on a route passing through Rotherhithe towards London. I was on my way to work on a weekday morning around 8 am and seeing the open top bus approaching, I chose the bus over the tube (East London Line).
I caught it at Rotherhithe Station and left at Tower Bridge. It was a cold morning but I still sat on the top deck. I cannot recall the colour scheme; it might have been blue and not London Transport red.

Was the garage short of buses on the day or the week, and the open top bus hired in or substituted for what is a the fairly mundane service? Today the service is the 381.

Was the use of the open-top double decker bus reported in any of the bus magazines?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bungle158

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2019
Messages
337
Location
Benaulim Goa
Has to be the Combined Red and Blue route ticket in Cape Town. A drive through the city and a run out along the peninsula. Spectacular scenery and comfortable buses.
 

Wychwood93

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2018
Messages
693
Location
Burton. Dorset.
The New Forest Tour routes are very good. So far I’ve only done the green and blue routes around the Beaulieu and New Milton areas respectively, but hoping to do the red route which covers the northern half of the forest this year. There’s a bit of route that goes underneath the Ampress low bridge near Lymington, and hence you are instructed to remain seated!
Certainly agree - see: https://www.morebus.co.uk/about-NFT the map on the link shows where the routes overlap. Familiar territory for Mrs. Wychwood and myself as we live near Christchurch - trains to New Milton, Brockenhurst and Ashurst are handy.
 

PTR 444

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2019
Messages
2,647
Location
Wimborne
Certainly agree - see: https://www.morebus.co.uk/about-NFT the map on the link shows where the routes overlap. Familiar territory for Mrs. Wychwood and myself as we live near Christchurch - trains to New Milton, Brockenhurst and Ashurst are handy.
IIRC you can also board the Green route from Beaulieu Road station, which might be worth a try if you enjoy ticking remote stations off the bucket list.
 

341o2

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
2,014
New Forest Tour starts July 1, and finishes September 17th. The 1A to Somerford is hardly a scenic route, but the two newly branded Breezer buses (1812/3) have appeared on it, with open top.
I vote for Breezer 50, crossing the chain ferry, past Studland (but the ferry has suffered several breakdowns over the past few years, which means the 50 terminates at Studland and from Bournemouth runs to the ferry terminal at Sandbanks.
The best open top bus - the three converted Bournemouth trolleybuses, when Bournemouth was a nice town , before it became the dump it currently is
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
As an aside, the three best IMHO are First operated, and they do have a raft of open top operations
Definitely one of the strengths of First especially in the south west is their commitment and passion of open top routes.
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
23,022
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Definitely one of the strengths of First especially in the south west is their commitment and passion of open top routes.
They certainly have focused on that aspect. IIRC, the Kernow fleet was down to about 6 or 7 vehicles, Dorset had 2 vehicles, and there was nothing in Somerset. Compare that to now where Kernow has 22, Dorset has 12 (plus the three SD open decks), and 11 in Somerset (incl. Weston).

They did kiss quite a few frogs and not all turned into princes (e.g. Lizard, Exeter) but they've had some notable successes, not least Exmoor Coaster. Shows a level of entrepreneurial spirit and marketing flair that Arriva could never contemplate.
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
A few years ago I rode with Ulsterbus from the Giant's Causeway to Portrush via Bushmills - service 177 I think it was and a very scenic run along the Antrim Coast. My earliest memory is of the Weston-super-Mare sea front service using pre-war Bristol Ks and most recent is Stagecoach Devon 95 from Exmouth to Sandy Bay, both of these mostly urban.
 

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,861
As an aside, the three best IMHO are First operated, and they do have a raft of open top operations - some honourable mentions to Portland Coaster, Atlantic Coaster and the Somerset Coaster in Weston super Mare. Stagecoach also have some O/T operations but I have some questions that I wonder if anyone has answers to...

  • First Cymru is back with the Tenby service this year and looks like two vehicles are based there rather than one, so a spare is available. Only three O/Ts seem on fleet so does anyone know if Porthcawl and Mumbles have lost their services now?
  • It's probably a dumb question (as it would require them to be entrepreneurial) but does Arriva have any O/T services now? I recall Rhyl and a limited Southport offering in the past.
Assuming the "Hants & Surrey Bus Blog" open top bus compilation is correct, it would appear that Arriva are absent from open top operation on a national basis. It also only makes mention of the Tenby open topper, with the Swansea Bay News quoting the following regarding Mumbles:

A spokesperson for First Cymru said: “We have been reviewing the Coaster services, conscious that during our ongoing recruitment campaign to tackle driver shortages we must prioritise provision of a reliable service on our year-round routes in the months ahead. Hence the unfortunate withdrawal of the Swansea and Aberavon open-top buses for this coming summer. We have, though, been working to improve services to Mumbles, adding standard double deckers to three routes. We have yet to confirm the Coaster service in Porthcawl but can confirm the Tenby Coaster will be operating seven days a week from April 2nd through to mid-September.” A number of people were injured aboard the Mumbles service in August 2021 after the open top vehicle struct overhanging trees on the route.

Hants & Surrey Bus Blog open top list: https://handsbusblog.wordpress.com/open-top/

Bath​

Belfast​

Bournemouth & Poole​

Brighton​

Bristol​

Bute​

Cambridge​

Cardiff​

Chester​

Clacton-on-Sea​

Cleethorpes​

Cornwall​

Derry / Londonderry​

Devon​

Dublin​

Dundee​

Eastbourne​

  • Eastbourne Sightseeing – Seven Sisters Bus & Coach
  • 197: Pevensey Explorer (Mix of vehicles will be used so check with operator to see if an open or closed top bus is in use on your chosen day) – Seven Sisters Bus & Coach

Edinburgh​

Galway​

Glasgow​

Great Yarmouth​

Hull​

  • [TO BE CONFIRMED] Hull Tour – Jorvik Tour Bus

Inverness​

Isle of Wight​

Lake District​

Lincoln​

Liverpool​

Llandudno​

London​

Manchester​

Minehead​

New Forest​

Newcastle​

Norwich​

Oxford​

Peak District​

Plymouth​

Portsmouth & Southsea​

Ramsgate​

Scarborough​

Skegness​

Southend​

Stratford-upon-Avon​

Tenby​

Weymouth​

Whitby​

Windsor​

York​

 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
23,022
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Assuming the "Hants & Surrey Bus Blog" open top bus compilation is correct, it would appear that Arriva are absent from open top operation on a national basis. It also only makes mention of the Tenby open topper, with the Swansea Bay News quoting the following regarding Mumbles:
Thanks for the update on First Cymru. To be honest, they are still dropping journeys around Bridgend (just had a check on their twitter) so not running the Porthcawl route does make sense.
 

JD2168

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2022
Messages
1,735
Location
Sheffield
East Yorkshire usually have an open top on a service from Bridlington to John Bull World of Rock during summer months.
 

CBlue

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2020
Messages
859
Location
East Angular
One for the historians:
It would be around 1990. An open-top bus being used on a route passing through Rotherhithe towards London. I was on my way to work on a weekday morning around 8 am and seeing the open top bus approaching, I chose the bus over the tube (East London Line).
I caught it at Rotherhithe Station and left at Tower Bridge. It was a cold morning but I still sat on the top deck. I cannot recall the colour scheme; it might have been blue and not London Transport red.

Was the garage short of buses on the day or the week, and the open top bus hired in or substituted for what is a the fairly mundane service? Today the service is the 381.

Was the use of the open-top double decker bus reported in any of the bus magazines?
At a guess, either Ensignbus or Cityrama would have operated that. Both ran normal tendered London Buses service routes alongside tour routes around that time.
 

mlambeuk

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Messages
265
Location
York
Not in the uk, but Siam Park to Playa de las Americas in Tenerife at midnight on the top deck of an open top bus.
 

RELL6L

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
1,262
I realise I have joined this discussion very late but my top 3 are:
1) Exmoor coaster
2) Keswick to Borrowdale 78
3) Lands End coaster

Combination of scenery and operations, I do like the routes which are genuine A to B people carriers as well as the pure ‘tourists’.

Not done Weymouth to Bridport on an open top, worth a try. I did even get the family on a return trip on a VR Weymouth to Portland Bill many years ago and that was very good.
 

Goldfish62

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
13,223
I realise I have joined this discussion very late but my top 3 are:
1) Exmoor coaster
2) Keswick to Borrowdale 78
3) Lands End coaster

Combination of scenery and operations, I do like the routes which are genuine A to B people carriers as well as the pure ‘tourists’.
Agreed, and certainly in the case of 2 and 3 above they are important local bus services in their own right.
 

80073

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2022
Messages
25
Location
Chelmsford
Another late entry. From a nostalgic point of view, my choice has got to be the Eastern National and Southend Corporation Transport routes 67 and 68 running along the Southend sea front in the 1960s.

If I was fortunate, one came along to take me to West Leigh School along London Road, Leigh. Us boys would always try to grab leaves from trees along the route! This was a worry for our mothers in case we got pulled from the bus! And, of course, there was the game of seeing if you could touch the Pier Bridge.

I also got a thrill from see on TV 'topless' buses, from Southend and elsewhere, at horse races, where they served as mini-grandstands.

I was delighted to come across the attached photo from Mike Beamish's website at mikesbuspages(used with permission). It was taken in 1963 outside Highlands Methodist Church where my parents were married and I attended Cubs and then Scouts. Happy Days!
 

Attachments

  • bus.jpg
    bus.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

E-Rail

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2012
Messages
272
It's also now confirmed that First Wessex have extended the X50 to operate Weymouth to Swanage using open tops from 23 July this year.
 

Towers

Established Member
Joined
30 Aug 2021
Messages
3,014
Location
UK
The Needles Breezer isn't just a nice scenic journey, it's also a very useful public transport connection around the west of the IoW. Indeed it was by far the best way for me to get to my B&B from the Yarmouth ferry!
It also culminates in some impressively high-risk driving around hairpin bends up to the top of the Needles and back down again; superb! Another vote from me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kijeta

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2022
Messages
113
Location
North London
Apparently Cardiff Bus just purchased an open top Scania for their 99 route this summer, no more borrowing from Reading!
 
Joined
10 Feb 2016
Messages
134
Recently been on the Exmoor Coaster from Lynmouth to Minehead and return.
Some pretty impressive driving, especially through the narrow roads and the steep hills, not to mention the 2 hairpins on Porlock hill.

My question, do the buses just rely on normal brakes and engine braking. It stayed in a very low gear when going downhill, the engine revving quite high,
I'd always assumed that automatic geared buses disengaged when on the overrun but this didn't. I'm just wondering if they have been modified for the route, I couldn't detect any exhauster braking as some lorries and coaches have.
The brakes smelt pretty hot at the bottom of Porlock hill I have to say!

Also when ascending the steep hlls the engine kept trying to change up to the next gear which then slowed the bus down and it immediately changed down again and so on. I assume that there's no facility for the driver to override it to stay in a lower gear when ascending hills.

I didn't get a chance to speak to the drivers to ask them.
 

Towers

Established Member
Joined
30 Aug 2021
Messages
3,014
Location
UK
Recently been on the Exmoor Coaster from Lynmouth to Minehead and return.
Some pretty impressive driving, especially through the narrow roads and the steep hills, not to mention the 2 hairpins on Porlock hill.

My question, do the buses just rely on normal brakes and engine braking. It stayed in a very low gear when going downhill, the engine revving quite high,
I'd always assumed that automatic geared buses disengaged when on the overrun but this didn't. I'm just wondering if they have been modified for the route, I couldn't detect any exhauster braking as some lorries and coaches have.
The brakes smelt pretty hot at the bottom of Porlock hill I have to say!

Also when ascending the steep hlls the engine kept trying to change up to the next gear which then slowed the bus down and it immediately changed down again and so on. I assume that there's no facility for the driver to override it to stay in a lower gear when ascending hills.

I didn't get a chance to speak to the drivers to ask them.
I was sent a photograph a year or two back (when the service was first launched, I believe) of one of the vehicles being stranded roadside with overheating front brakes; ISTR it was an Omnidecker. Whether modifications have since been carried out it would be interesting to know, but in answer to your question there will be a ‘retarder’ linked to the footbrake, but entirely separate to the brakes, and it is this which would provide the majority of the speed control on a long downhill section.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top