• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best large luggage for UK trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzman6500

New Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
1
Location
London
A recent change in job means I have to travel on the trains up and down the country every few weeks. I generally need to travel with enough luggage to last me a two or three week stay as well as laptop and other small bits of computer equipment. I'm often in and out of London and the South East, so also have to venture on the tube from time to time.

I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on the best luggage for such travel given the widths of train isles, storage rack dimensions and leg room. So far I've been finding storage racks to be a rarity and mostly have to make do with squeezing my bag into the leg room in front of the seat next to me.

It's been a frustrating few journeys recently with my an old wheeled duffle bag. I really need an upgrade.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ruaival

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2020
Messages
116
Location
New Mills, Derbyshire
When that was my life - inter city rail and tube, week in week out - I lived out of an Antler trolley bag which had more than enough room for 7+ days work clothes, evening clothes and running kit. I carried my laptop in a rucksack pack by Nomad which also had shoulder strap or simple handle to carry by day. On tube escalators the trolley bag would sit on its base on the step behind me nicely and ready to wheel off at the top. It also sat nicely on - Mk3/4 - luggage racks at the end of carriages and guarded by its TSA grade padlocks on the zips. Looking at their catalogue just now its would be https://www.antler.co.uk/products/bamburgh-wheeled-holdall-navy if I invested in another one of those; I went through 3 generations in 13 years but still consider them good value.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,749
Location
Nottingham
I've been doing trips ranging from a day to a week away by train or plane for as long as I can remember.

I can pack enough for a couple of overnights in a Wenger laptop rucksack alongside the laptop and a few papers. That's about the largest that will fit under a seat - not enough for a stay of more than a week unless you have access to frequent laundry service or your needs are very different from mine!

Next step up is an aircraft cabin bag, which will fit on the overhead rack on many but not all trains (Cross Country's longer distance services and East Midlands Railway (Voyagers and Meridians if you're into train details) being totally useless in this respect). Worth observing what other people get to fit on whichever train operators you use most, and go for something of a similar size. Mine was chosen to fit whatever Ryanair's maximum was at the time, which I'm fairly sure they will have reduced since then... I could pack enough for a working week in that one, but for a seven night trip where I also have to have some more casual clothes I end up with a smallish suitcase for the hold plus the laptop rucksack as a carry-on. Although I have a colleague who did the same with cabin baggage only!

I prefer luggage with two wheels rather than four. If that sort is stood upright it will stay put, whereas four-wheelers tend to wander off if left on the floor of a moving train or any other sloping surface. This type also has recessed wheels rather than protruding castors, which are probably less vulnerable and although they take up some of the interior, the bag itself will fit into a smaller space. If I was buying new today, I'd go for something similar to @ruaival's choice.
 

fwsmVor

On Moderation
Joined
27 Aug 2021
Messages
244
Location
London/Berlin
guarded by its TSA grade padlocks on the zips.
Keep in mind that "TSA Grade" doesn't mean that it's secure; it means it's suitable for flying to the US. The TSA is their federal airport security agency, and they've mandated that all baggage locks have master keys that they can open. Luggage locks are generally just for psychological reassurance anyway: once the thief's got away with the suitcase, they can just take a bolt-cutter to it.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,749
Location
Nottingham
Devil's advocate here, but sounds like you need a car...
Others may differ, but I'd far rather lug a bag on a train than try to drive and park in unfamiliar cities. It probably helps that most of the UK places I visit are in city centres and only a short walk from a main station.

There's also the possibility of getting some work done on the laptop while on a train.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,569
Location
Hampshire
Big bags on escalators can be extremely dangerous. I've seen them falling out of control on three occasions. On the last one I was the person who got hit! Holding one behind you on an up escalator is really playing with others' safety. Always place the bag above you, so that you can control it even if you loosen your grip on the handle. All those notices about using lifts if carrying luggage are there for a serious reason.
When that was my life - inter city rail and tube, week in week out - I lived out of an Antler trolley bag which had more than enough room for 7+ days work clothes, evening clothes and running kit. I carried my laptop in a rucksack pack by Nomad which also had shoulder strap or simple handle to carry by day. On tube escalators the trolley bag would sit on its base on the step behind me nicely and ready to wheel off at the top. It also sat nicely on - Mk3/4 - luggage racks at the end of carriages and guarded by its TSA grade padlocks on the zips. Looking at their catalogue just now its would be https://www.antler.co.uk/products/bamburgh-wheeled-holdall-navy if I invested in another one of those; I went through 3 generations in 13 years but still consider them good value.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Big bags on escalators can be extremely dangerous. I've seen them falling out of control on three occasions. On the last one I was the person who got hit! Holding one behind you on an up escalator is really playing with others' safety. All those notices about using lifts if carrying luggage are there for a serious reason.

I've always put mine in front of me.

In terms of actual bags for long trips, I like the IT Luggage range, the actual bag is very light which maximises what you can take on a flight and is easy to store. Two wheeled, I agree with the preference for this over four expressed above. Fit in most railway overheads other than the tiny ones on some early 2000s stock.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,720
Devil's advocate here, but sounds like you need a car...
From a safety point of view that is the last thing you need and many companies refuse to allow staff to drive on business for this reason. The days of working all day then expecting someone to drive 3-4 hours home afterwards are fortunately gone in many industries.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
From a safety point of view that is the last thing you need and many companies refuse to allow staff to drive on business for this reason.

I have literally never heard of a company that didn't permit business travel by car. Ever. Not a single one.

The days of working all day then expecting someone to drive 3-4 hours home afterwards are fortunately gone in many industries.

I do agree with this.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,720
I have literally never heard of a company that didn't permit business travel by car. Ever. Not a single one.
Should make it clear that the ban is where there is a public transport alternative available.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top