• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best first class seats from worst to best

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
best was the declassified first class carriages used in the Grand Central HST sets. Superb.) q
I quite like some of the former first class sections on the turbos used in the North Downs Line. Think they might be class 165. There are also first class sections on the train but they aren't much different.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,656
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I have to agree with Mogz here - though they are nowhere near as soft as old MkIII seats, the new generation of seats are generally very ergonomic. You get up from them not realising you've sat down in them for X hours. In fact I was pleasantly surprised when I sat in a new-gen Scotrail 156 seat from Glasgow to Mallaig not long ago!

That's the ironing board with contoured base? I'm happy with that style of seat, it's vastly better than the rubbish fitted to Class 80x.
 

VT 390

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2018
Messages
1,754
In my opinion I would say, of the first class trains that I have used they would be ranked from worst to best in the following order:

Southeastern class 375
Thameslink class 700
South Western Railway class 450
London North Western Railway class 350
East Midlands Trains 222
Great Western Railway class 800
Cross Country class 170
Great Western Railway class 166
South Western Railway class 159
Cross Country class 220/221
Greater Anglia Mk3
Cross Country Mk3
Virgin Trains class 390
Trans Pennine Express class 185
Virgin Trains class 221
GWR (now Scot Rail I think)/LNER Mk3
 
Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,293
Location
East Midlands
The best was GWR HSTs, now Scotrail.
EMT HSTs are worse than the 800s, the only stock where the seats are more uncomfortable in first than in standard!

Obviously a very personal thing! I love the EMT 1st class HST seats, I find them roomy and comfortable and I like the low back which gives a good view.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,530
If the first class I’ve used: GWR HSTs, GWR 180s, GWR 166s and SWR 159s are all very pleasant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top