• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best company in south to work for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beartrain

New Member
Joined
23 Aug 2013
Messages
3
Hello,

I am new here, I have a couple of applications to work in the rail industry, one with First Capital connect and one with Southern. Can anyone advise me on these companies?

I've been invited to an interview day with FCC for a ticket inspector (on train and barrier, based at Brighton) and awaiting word on the job with Southern selling tickets at a minor station. Any views from people doing these jobs would also be great.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
To my mind the closer you live to work the better it is. The intercity TOCs tend to provide a more upmarket serving compared to commuter TOCs in my opinion.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Some people probably prefer a quiet station but IMO it would get tedious quite quickly.
 
Joined
4 Dec 2011
Messages
602
Should you be fortunate to get a job offer for either I suggest you take it!

It's usually easier to move to something you prefer later.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,393
Location
Messroom
Should you be fortunate to get a job offer for either I suggest you take it!

It's usually easier to move to something you prefer later.

Indeed, it's better to have a foot in the door and gain experience of the railway environment as it gives you a better advantage when applying for internal vacancies later on.

As for preferring a quieter station, it seems to be down to individual preference. Personally, I quite like the idea of working at a 'one man band' station. The only thing is, that when it does kick off it's all down to you - with no one else to back you up, or to vent to about an incident etc.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Hello,

I am new here, I have a couple of applications to work in the rail industry, one with First Capital connect and one with Southern. Can anyone advise me on these companies?

I've been invited to an interview day with FCC for a ticket inspector (on train and barrier, based at Brighton) and awaiting word on the job with Southern selling tickets at a minor station. Any views from people doing these jobs would also be great.

I presently work for a Train Operating Company selling tickets at a minor station. I'm contracted to work less than 10 hours a week, but over the summer holidays I have been working plenty of rest days. I have been working at several different ticket offices on the network, many of them at minor stations, some more busy.

No two stations are the same - each has its own charms and nuances. You soon get to know the locale at the smaller places and it can be great, if you get on with them. At smaller stations the ticket office staff have to perform tasks that team leaders/supervisors would normally do, such as sort out the machines, change orders and stock replenishment ordering. I also have to do the security checks at stations where there are no platform staff. Where I'm the only member of staff, I sometimes do announcements if the train goes from the "wrong" platform or if there are delays.

I was at one of the quietest stations on the network yesterday with customers only coming sporadically, so I found other ways to keep myself busy. I do enjoy my time at busy stations with 5+ windows as the transactions are more interesting and your attitude/aptitude as a clerk really needs to kick in to avoid having arguments with customers who either know more than you, or expect you to be able to advise on travel plans and ticketing with competence. Clerks are always gossiping about who's "good" and who is a nightmare to have to work with.

I actually love the job I have now. I like the culture at the TOC I'm at. They seem to take on quite a few people my age (I was 21 when I started) and I'm always cracking jokes with the RPIs, who like to stop off at my home station for their meal breaks. Individual's skills do seem to be utilised too - I was drafted in to solve a riddle over why a customer was able to use a certain ticket to legitimately circumvent the morning peak restriction into London. Of all the stations I've worked at, I have to say I prefer the quieter stations where I'm the only member of staff, to the busier places - I've done my time working at a London Terminal and I'm quite happy where I am :)

The only thing is the rolling stock on the line - not sure I'm too keen on the smell of diesel infiltrating the office when the trains pass by!
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Is it East Midlands Trains by any chance?;)

No, thought not!

Possibly not - I did apply to work at the Sheffield ticket office last year as it would have been a good source of income whilst at university a bit further up the line. I got through to the interview stage and ran with the "eminently customer focused, with a bit of previous experience in a ticket office" approach. HR felt I had a strong enough application to get through the sift, but the local managers/team leaders decided that I didn't tally with what they were after.

Every cloud has a silver lining - had I gotten the job, I would have had to resign after a few months as I managed to land a transport industry placement of my dreams in London, starting in September. Also, I'm not sure where else I'd get a Priv and generous benefits/T&Cs for around 5 hours of work per week. I won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future either so I suppose all's well that ends well.

My first job in the industry was in a ticket office and it has led on to big things, so I'd certainly recommend the OP gives it a go!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top