• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best and worst TOCs for station signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
FSR seem to have at least 4 different signs on the Go. The nx , SPT , Pre Saltire First and Saltire .
There is also some big Orange Strathclyde Transport still on some railway bridges , Cathcart being an example.
I do like the like the Saltire blue.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
There was a series of programmes on television, a while back, about the development of the UK motorways; there was a section about how much time and effort went into designing new signage for these road - very interesting. Bit of the story here:

http://designmuseum.org/design/jock-kinneir-margaret-calvert

PS: If every airport in the World can have the same signage, why can't our railway stations ??

She was on top gear a while back too.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Thing is though the accountants would probably be happy with only having one person on duty at any one time on these platforms so given the reputation of the station, it would certainly need more then one member of staff maybe a member of Northern Rail and a member of security who would be paid for by West Yorkshire PTE.

The thing is Kirkgate is an InterCity station now - I know they have little choice at where to stop or a say in the matter but I am surprised that Grand Central aren't concerned about the state of Kirkgate at all.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I worked a train out from Kirkgate not so long ago. My first foray up there. If trains weren't stopping, I'd have thought it was derelict.

It is derelict! Just so happens that trains run to it as well I suppose.

Don't think GC are too bothered about it, they wouldn't want to spend any money on doing it up apart from a few signs. Plus most of the signs are paid for by Northern (see Brighouse as another example).
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
FCC seems to be introducing new signs that have some standardised symbols for things like exits, platforms etc.

I presume there's an international standard for such things, or if not international then certainly EU-wide.

There used to be one, basically because BR used it. All new signs (not counting old Company or pre-corporate ones) were in Rail Alphabet with standard terms and definitions. It was simple, clear and understandable. The other good thing was that most stations had a big sign at either end of the platform, illuminated at night, so that you would know where you were without having to peer too hard. That's always a good idea.

Certain TOCs, notably Southern, have tiny signs and tiny logos. When they first got going, I assumed that Southern were going to introduce tube-style signs, but green (and 18-inch-high lettering on the sides of trains). They did not, just some tiny logos and barely-readable signs. Not very good.
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
The old BR signage was clear for everyone. Apparently, the font, its size and black on white were the clearest they could be for everyone - particularly those with sight difficulties.

Keeping the signs as when under BR would keep this advantage and would save money when TOCs change etc.

Progress - not.

Also, Wakefield Kirkgate is a disgrace!! At one point, GC were going to do it up. I think this was when they first put forward their proposals including trans-pennine Newcastle to Preston.

I am opposed to pulling station buildings down as a rule, but Kirkgate needs it. Either do it up or blow it up and start again.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Also, Wakefield Kirkgate is a disgrace!! At one point, GC were going to do it up. I think this was when they first put forward their proposals including trans-pennine Newcastle to Preston.

Kirkgate didn't make the list of the 10 worst stations two years ago, how is that even possible?!

I mean Man Vic isn't good at all and desperately needs a refurb BUT I'd rather wait there than Kirkgate!!
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Kirkgate didn't make the list of the 10 worst stations two years ago, how is that even possible?!
There was no "list of 10 worst stations." The media oversimplified the story. The list of 10 was for Category B stations and was weighted based on how busy they were and how far away they were from the minimum standards. Wakefield Kirkgate is a Category F station so obviously it didn't feature on the list of the Category B stations in most urgent need of work!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/passenger/stations/betterrailstations/pdf/report.pdf
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
There was no "list of 10 worst stations." The media oversimplified the story. The list of 10 was for Category B stations and was weighted based on how busy they were and how far away they were from the minimum standards. Wakefield Kirkgate is a Category F station so obviously it didn't feature on the list of the Category B stations in most urgent need of work!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/passenger/stations/betterrailstations/pdf/report.pdf

Maybe, but as I showed last year (link), those categories are extremely unreliable. Having never been to Kirkgate I can't comment on the station's condition but I can tell you categorically that it should not be an F; probably C.

Regarding signage...

Best: Network Rail! :D
Worst: NXEA. Really dull and with nonstandard lettering that stands out as "not so good".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top