• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bergen line on FIP: reservations compulsory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I intend to visit the Flam Railway which I know isn't included in the Fip arrangements

However Oslo to Bergen (Bergen line) is? My question is can you use coupons as it appears reservations are now compulsory? Best buying a normal ticket in advance?

I won't be using the sleeper
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calopez

Member
Joined
16 May 2017
Messages
114
I suggest you contact Vy (https://www.vy.no/en/customer-service/form/tickets-and-travel-info) - they were very helpful, in English, when I raised a query about travelling on the Bergen line. They do seem to understand FIP; I'm retired so now only get a 50% discount rather than a coupon, but they did confirm that the FIP discount was the same as the Senior discount to which I am old enough to qualify for! They may very well be able to do a reservation-only booking for you.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
You can call them - they are very good and their English is excellent, or visit the little travel centre in the middle of Oslo S (run by Entur) - they will print out reservations on a till receipt for you. Even before any of this modern compulsory rules, reservations were always strongly advised, the Bergens get chokka, especially in holiday times.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Ring Entur and they'll sort it out for you. The bloke I spoke to a couple of years ago was full of knowledge and advice about travelling on the network. I don't have a great experience with the travel centre in Oslo S - they made a right mess of issuing me reservations and charged me for several people before refunding me in cash instead of back to card.

Reservations on long-distance Norwegian services were always strongly advised (as well as to Åndalsnes) as they were never marked so you'd be playing musical chairs in any case.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
According to the RDG information, FIP facilities are not valid on Flåmsbana between Myrdal and Flåm, so you'll need a regular ticket.
Reservations for Norwegian trains can be booked online now on entur.no, where you can use "Interrail / Eurail Seat reservation".
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
Worth noting that trains can sell out in peak season, as they were 2-3 days ahead last week.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I can confirm you can request free reservations using the coupons. Enjoying my four hour 40 min journey Oslo to Myrdal then Flam!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top