• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Benefits of Network Rail stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

atwales

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2013
Messages
45
Location
Cheshire
Hi all,

I have an assignment coming up soon and have come to a bit of a brainfreeze.

Can anybody help me and answer the question:

What is the benefit of Network Rail managing the stations they own?

Thanks in adv.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
What do you have so far? People will be willing to help, but maybe less inclined to do all the work for you ;)
 

atwales

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2013
Messages
45
Location
Cheshire
I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way as so far I have:

To offer more assistance than TOC staff
To have a better knowledge than TOC staff

But I'm not sure if they are really benefits of a station being managed by NR instead of a TOC - and thats what I really need!!

Thanks :D
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
NR receive all the gains from redevlopment, & rentals from station site lettings to shops/ outlets - equally profits from these will not go (in part) to TOC shareholders but to us as taxpayers so reducing the subsidy to NR. This, to me, seems to be a good thing.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
What is the benefit of Network Rail managing the stations they own?
My understanding is that Network Rail own all the railway stations on the National Rail network (except, I think, Fishguard Harbour). They operate 17 major stations and lease the remaining 2,500 to train operating companies. See Our history - Network Rail.

I would be interested to read a comparison of direct operation versus leasing of railway stations. If tackling this, I think I would start with Network Rail and train company web sites, including annual reports. It might also be worth reading the Act and Hansard debates when Railtrack (Network Rail's predecessor) was established to see what benefits ministers expected from direct management of the largest stations. Have these been achieved?
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
My understanding is that Network Rail own all the railway stations on the National Rail network (except, I think, Fishguard Harbour).

They also don't own Warwick Parkway, which is currently owned by Chiltern itself. Also Southend Airport station is owned by Stobart (who own the airport).
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
I've always assumed that the main reason for Network Rail leasing out stations is so they can concentrate on operating the track and other infrastructure, and don't have to worry about employing station staff.
 

tractakid

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
852
Location
Milton Keynes
Aren't some of the tube stations that served by National Rail owned by London Underground? Like Rickmansworth-Amersham, Greenford, Whitechapel, Canada Water? etc
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
Yes. And the opposite is true too where Network Rail stations are served by London Underground trains, such as at Harrow and Wealdstone.
 

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,234
Location
Reading
I suspect by far the biggest motivation is retaining income from non-operational-rail uses the station buildings are put to, i.e. rental income from shops etc. And that this goes back to the privatisation of British Rail and the days of Railtrack, and the way it considered itself as a property company.

I read in RAIL magazine that Network Rail were hoping to take over the management of Reading station once the redevelopment work there is complete. I got the impression it was intended that the rental income from the new retail opportunities was part of the financial plan to offset the cost of the redevelopment. The new Great Western franchise, which was supposed to be let around now I think, wouldn't include have included the management of (nor rental income from) Reading station.

But that has all been thrown up in the air by the DfT negotiating to extend First Great Western's franchise; obviously FGW will use the bargaining power they have with the incompetent DfT to try to hold on to the management of Reading station as long as possible, in order to retain the rental income!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way as so far I have:

To offer more assistance than TOC staff
To have a better knowledge than TOC staff

Thanks :D

I think neither point has much or any relevance. Even at the busiest stations such as Waterloo, most customer/passenger facing activity is still done by the TOC. I don't think NR have much to do with anything at all there, however other major stations with multiple TOCs might be different, for instance in terms of train despatch, but as I see it that isn't really the sort of passenger facing job your question suggests.

Passenger general enquiries, ticket sales, revenue protection etc are all areas where the passenger normally still talks to TOC personnel.

Where the coffee shop rent goes, or who employs the station cleaners is of little direct concern to passengers.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Be aware of the possibility that whoever is going to mark your assignment might be reading all this. :D
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,937
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Economies of scale mainly.
And reducing the multiplicity of organisational interfaces in managing and developing a big station.
It also gives a long-term planning potential for investment, and taps a layer of big-project management and construction partners.
Can you imagine LM managing the Birmingham New St upgrade?
It also provides a consistent interface to government (eg city councils, PTEs, TfL etc).

NR management seems to be creeping down the size scale.
It's not entirely clear to me why large strategic multi-TOC stations like Bristol, Cardiff and Newcastle are not NR-managed if Reading is going to be.

Perversely, it also means TOCs often do not lead on the operation of their flagship stations - Virgin's biggest operated station is, I think Preston, not Euston, New St or Piccadilly for instance.
 
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
NR management seems to be creeping down the size scale.
It's not entirely clear to me why large strategic multi-TOC stations like Bristol, Cardiff and Newcastle are not NR-managed if Reading is going to be.

The 2009 'stations report' for DfT (Green and Hall's) did discuss this a bit, without stating explicitly that the stations should definitely be transferred to NR. I think an odd aspect is that although they reckoned Bristol, Newcastle, York and Cardiff were in the highest tier 'National Hub A' status, they left Reading in the 'National Interchange B' list.

I suspect many people would have expected Reading to be an 'A' station really.

Of course, changing the status of Reading may just be the one that's known about so far, York and Newcastle could possibly change at ECML re-franchising for all we know...

The original poster might find it useful: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/better-rail-stations/report.pdf but I don't really want to write his assignment...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top