• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bath to Eastbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith300

Member
Joined
9 May 2010
Messages
111
Trying to get to Eastbourne from bath next Saturday returning Sunday.

Had a look around and think the cheapest I can get is by split ticketing at Swindon - getting an off peak return to Swindon and then super off peak return from Swindon to Eastbourne via Reading and Gatwick.

Some of the Bath to reading trains call at Swindon and some don't. If I get on a train that doesn't call at Swindon will my ticket be invalid?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Don't forget that next Sat and Sunday AFAIK there are major engineering works on FGW, Bath trains to Reading are not calling at Swindon, it's a shuttle bus from Swindon to Reading if you are going via Swindon. Split tickets would have to go Swindon and catch the bus, not the "direct" Bath - Reading
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
You could consider a Bath Spa - Eastbourne Rte: Salisbury ticket?

Off Peak Return (SVR): £48.70

Example journey times:
OUT:
Bath Spa 0736
Salisbury 0832

Salisbury 0845
Basingstoke 0926

Basingstoke 0936
Clapham Jn 1012

Clapham Jn 1023
Eastbourne 1144


RTN:
Eastbourne 1555
Clapham J 1724

Clapham J 1822
Bath Spa 2048
 

Dennis

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
2,676
Location
Trowbridge
I'd consider making use of the SouthWest train service from Bath to Waterloo, back to Clapham then to Eastbourne. Advance Clapham-Eastbourne only a fiver, bargain.
 

jsmith300

Member
Joined
9 May 2010
Messages
111
You could consider a Bath Spa - Eastbourne Rte: Salisbury ticket?

Off Peak Return (SVR): £48.70

Example journey times:


Could always use this but its more expensive than the £29 odd that it was coming to with a Y-P railcard with the original route I mentioned above.

May not have any choice considering the engineering works at swindon =(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So I am at Eastbourne now and I bought a ticket via Salisbury in the end.

I want to come back tomorrow and I think due to engineering the options through Salisbury are all quite long so I want to take the train via Gatwick and Reading.

Can I simply excess my Off Peak Return to a Super Off Peak Return for the different route?

Thanks,

James
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Should be possible, either at a booking office or on-board. If doing it on-board, find the guard as soon as you get on and tell them that's what you want to do, don't wait for them to find you.
 

jsmith300

Member
Joined
9 May 2010
Messages
111
So I am at Eastbourne now and I bought a ticket via Salisbury in the end.

I want to come back tomorrow and I think due to engineering the options through Salisbury are all quite long so I want to take the train via Gatwick and Reading.

Can I simply excess my Off Peak Return to a Super Off Peak Return for the different route?

Thanks,

James
 

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
If it says "Any route Permitted", then you should be able to go via Reading, if its "via Salisbury" then i think you can only go that way :(

Lets also hope that the snow keeps off down here for your journey tomorrow :)
 

jsmith300

Member
Joined
9 May 2010
Messages
111
If it says "Any route Permitted", then you should be able to go via Reading, if its "via Salisbury" then i think you can only go that way :(

Lets also hope that the snow keeps off down here for your journey tomorrow :)

Can you not excess to the different route? My ticket is via Salisbury ....
 

premier01

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
459
Can you not excess to the different route? My ticket is via Salisbury ....

Yes you can usually excess a ticket to another route although you would probably need to excess to the off-peak any permitted route if you have an off-peak ticket not the Super Off-Peak ticket-it can be hard trying to get staff to issue excesses correctly but don't take no for an answer it's an acceptable request.

 

jsmith300

Member
Joined
9 May 2010
Messages
111

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Not sure what engineering works on but a route salisbury ticket will be valid either via the coastway or via clapham junction and then salisbury.
 

premier01

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
459
Are they likely to show any flexibility on routing restrictions when there is engineering work on?

The 1.55pm train via Gatwick and Reading isn't too bad of a journey compared to everything else!

It depends on the TOC and don't know FGW at all however they are usually a lot more flexible and sometimes don't even check tickets on rail replacement coaches however if it was me I would go to the ticket office and request the alternative route excess-perhaps someone here with current access to avantix could tell u what the damage would be-but as I have said if that's what you want then make sure they issue excesss ticket for the journey.

 

jsmith300

Member
Joined
9 May 2010
Messages
111
If anyone is interested I managed to excess my off peak return to a super off peak return for all routes.

Wasn't a great journey - got held up outside bracknell I think it was for a good 45 minutes due to over running engineering work!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top