• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bashing Yorkshire and Beyond: A Beginner's Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Of Pacer

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2016
Messages
40
Hi all - a newbie here, both to the forum and to the world of bashing!

By way of background: I'm 32, have loved railways from a young age but have fluctuated over the years in how this love manifests itself. For many years it was predominantly railway history, when I was younger it was a bit of trainspotting, and throughout I've had a half-hearted focus on photography. But for the past couple of years I have begun carefully logging every rail journey I make, and ticking off both stock and stations. More recently my passion for this has grown somewhat, thanks largely to some of the excellent 'blogs' on this forum, particular 'Keith goes wandering' which is a consistently interesting read.

So why this post? Well, I figure that I'm probably some decades away from catching up with any of the big fish on here in terms of breadth of coverage, number of units/shacks/miles covered etc. I also don't have that much time to spare on this hobby. But perhaps it might be interesting for somebody out there to read a little from the perspective of a relative beginner, and somebody who gets a thrill from little victories, so my thought is to post updates as and when I manage something of vague interest.

To start out, then, my current status. As of 15/12/16 I have boarded or alighted at 127 stations and bashed 249 units/locos. My main stomping ground is West Yorkshire. My current 'projects' are 1) clearing all the Neville Hill units, and 2) clearing all West Yorkshire shacks. Progress on these to date:

Project 1
- Easiest first; I've cleared the three 321 units and five 322 units which ply between Leeds and Doncaster and provide additional capacity on the Airedale/Wharfedale lines.
- I need 2 of the 16 class 333 units (007 and 009)
- I need 6 of the 35 class 158s (4 of the 3-car Calder Valley units and 2 of the ex-Metro liveried 158/9s)
- I'm missing 155346 from the 7-strong fleet of 155s
- Biggest failure to date is the 153s - have only got 9 of 18. Haven't worked out yet where these are most likely to pop up, apart from coupled to a two-car unit on the Harrogate line
- Arguably an even bigger failure from a personal perspective is only bagging 17 out the 23 class 144 units (my favourite!). The clock is ticking on this one...

Project 2
Working my way slowly through this.

I need 20 plus the Penistone line (even as I type, I'm not sure why I don't just include that in the total figure). I've completed all of the Wharfedale line, most of Airedale and Calder Valley, and bits of everything else. On evenings after work over the coming weeks I plan to make such exotic single trips as Streethouse to Featherstone (and bus back), Outwood to Fitzwilliam, and Crossflatts to Steeton & Silsden. Ah Yorkshire how I love thee.

My most recent 'expedition' was so micro that it's scarcely worth a paragraph. Yesterday morning, in a couple of hours away from work, I got two ticks in a single round trip. My mission was to tick off Weeton station, and hope to get lucky with a unit. I began at Leeds (and in buying a return to Weeton, one station outside of the Metrocard zone, I found it to be more expensive than a WY Rail Rover! Ouch) and boarded 2C24 10:59 Leeds-Knaresborough, formed of 155344 and 153307. In a touch over 20 minutes I had reached my destination of Weeton and had an easy eight minutes to walk down a (somewhat slippery and unmaintained) walkway down the back of the down platform (a lot of downs in this sentence), pass under the underbridge, and walk up to Platform 1. The station itself is pretty non-descript and unhistoric, being formed of two wooden platforms and a couple of basic shelters. In several blinks of an eye, the 10:28 train for Leeds (2C23 11:06 ex-Knaresborough) pulled in formed of 155343 and - what's this! - 153324. I hopped aboard along with my four fellow passengers, probably a touch more excited than each of them. The truth is I'd have preferred to have had my eyes lit up by the sight of my final 155 pulling in, but I think that's the nature of this hobby - you're sometimes left feeling like you've slightly missed out, even if you've basically achieved what you set out to at the start of the jaunt. Not that you can call a return to Weeton a jaunt.

Anyway - I hope to post something a bit meatier on Saturday when I have most of the day free from fiance duties to "go Christmas shopping" (and take in some trains on the way!). Keeeeeeep bashing!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,834
Location
West of Andover
Good luck with 333009, last I heard it was parked up at the depot being robbed for spare parts awaiting to be fixed.

I can see many of a weekend festering around Leeds area for your last 144s, plus various other units :)
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Both the Leeds-Knaresborough diagrams are booked for a 155+153 combination, so probably worth checking out again.
 

djpontrack

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2011
Messages
1,025
Location
Morecambe
Hi Ace Of Pacer. You should be able to get your remaining 144s easily enough at Leeds. I've had all 23 of them on the Morecambe branch on services starting at Leeds so it's worth checking them out if your at Leeds when one is due to leave. We get 153s here too and pairs of them on the Lancaster to Barrow line. I once had 4 153s on a Lancaster to Morecambe trip.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Good luck in your quest. 155346 is away for refurbishment at the moment i'm afraid.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Hi all - a newbie here, both to the forum and to the world of bashing!

More recently my passion for this has grown somewhat, thanks largely to some of the excellent 'blogs' on this forum, particular 'Keith goes wandering' which is a consistently interesting read.

Ace of Pacer, welcome to the Guild of Tripwriters. All contributions are more than gratefully received no matter how insignificant. You're probably right in trying to sort out most if not all of your local area first before going further afield.

I know exactly where you are coming from when you say that 153s are a pain in the rear to get hold of. I only want three Northern units all time and one of them is a 153. The 13:16 to Morecambe ususally turns up a 153 in the week (with a 150) and also the 14:30 ish arrival off the S&C another (brings along a 158 for company).

Thank you for the accolade - I have far more to share from over the years but with limited time available all that will have to wait another day. And I'm sure (blushes with modesty) that other folk are equally interesting too.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Welcome to the trip reporters club.
As a fellow West Yorkshireman I can empathise with your shack scratching aims.
It was only when I joined the TRC in earnest that I realised how many stations in West Yorkshire I had never visited, despite having been out and about since 1981.
At the start of 2015 I needed well over thirty.
It took me until August this year to get them all (well, until Low Moor opens), so I know what a challenge it is.

As an aside; it's interesting to read about 333009 and its current woes as it was the very first haulage I had this year.
 

Ace Of Pacer

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2016
Messages
40
Thanks all! Shame to hear that 333009 is out of commission - that will be an annoying little gap in the spreadsheet!

As it turned out, I somewhat overindulged at the Christmas office party last night and so anything too strenuous was out of the question today :oops: I have nevertheless managed four ticks in the past 24 hours. Last night I somewhat blurrily managed to catch the last train from Wakefield Westgate to Leeds, the 23:54 departure (1D33 21:35 ex-Kings X) in the charge of 43311 and 43307. In returning to Wakefield to pick up my car this afternoon, 43208 and 43257 were kind enough to form 1A37 15:05 ex-Leeds and take me on my way.

43s (along with most other stuff!) form a massive gap in my records and a big target to aim at. I've done 18 so far, mostly on my occasional hops between Leeds and Wakefield.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Hi Aceofpacer (great name), I'm fairly new to all this too, I don't really go out bashing on the big railway much these days, I tend to do diesel galas and sometimes I write about older trips that I've done.
Reading the reports on here are very enjoyable and eye opening to what people do currently. It's also probably the friendliest place on the forum too. I guess everyone understands where each other's coming from (or trying to get to).
Looking forward to reading more.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Welcome to the Trip Reporters Association! And to the bashing scene too for that matter.

Sounds like you're doing well up there, I still need 3 155s myself and I've been on the rails for a long time! As for over-indulging on a Christmas party, well I did just that on Sunday night. Not wise considering the ultra early start to my trip to Lancashire :lol:

I look forward to more from you as time goes on!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top