• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barriers and rejecting discount tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Hi all!

All of this week on my way to and from work I've found that FCC TL stations seem to have their barriers set to reject discounted tickets both in and out.

It's been set like that morning, afternoon, every direction, every day for a whole week now. And I'm finding it quite irritating.

Is there rules on this? I was under the impression there was.

Any help on the subject would be appreciated!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,395
Location
Bedford
Bedford have been doing this for a month or more now - I've sent a carefully worded letter to FCC expressing my objection to this, but havent yet had a response.

Sadly, I'm not sure its against any rules, as its effectively a permanent revenue block :(
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Bedford have been doing this for a month or more now - I've sent a carefully worded letter to FCC expressing my objection to this, but havent yet had a response.

Sadly, I'm not sure its against any rules, as its effectively a permanent revenue block :(

Would you be able to cite age discrimination as it appears that FCC are accusing the young and old of fare dodging by (legitimately) not paying full fare? I'd be interested to see their response but I can't see you getting anything off them. Perhaps you should go with an angle of "old man accused of fare dodging"? After all the media aren't known for telling the truth
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Would you be able to cite age discrimination as it appears that FCC are accusing the young and old of fare dodging by (legitimately) not paying full fare? I'd be interested to see their response but I can't see you getting anything off them. Perhaps you should go with an angle of "old man accused of fare dodging"? After all the media aren't known for telling the truth

Discrimination, really?

You must be able to present the railcard or supporting document at all times when requested by an authorised person.

The gates rejecting tickets mean you should show the authorised person any supporting documentation.

-Railway Byelaw and NRCoC.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Discrimination, really?

You must be able to present the railcard or supporting document at all times when requested by an authorised person.

The gates rejecting tickets mean you should show the authorised person any supporting documentation.

-Railway Byelaw and NRCoC.

Perhaps you're right but I was thinking of the assumption that people travelling on discounted tickets are fare dodgers.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,528
Location
LBK
Not fare-dodging, but given that a discounted ticket must, in almost all cases, be presented with some additional documentation, isn't their action understandable?

I'm not sure I agree with rejecting ALL discounted tickets, however.

I'm yet to have a Priv ticket rejected anywhere, although the sale of those tickets is more tightly regulated.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,395
Location
Bedford
Bear in mind that FCC is DOO and hardly ever has ticket checks - so perhaps they've decided it's the best way of checking railcards? I do think however that they should only have the barriers set up for rejection in one direction though - if this policy is applied uniformly it is still effective (for the most part, Im aware a few stations still are unbarriered or open their barriers earlier in the evening) :)

My main complaint is not with the practice, but the way it slows down people entering/exiting the platforms, with the barrier staff having to check people in both directions.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,824
Location
Back office
Would you be able to cite age discrimination as it appears that FCC are accusing the young and old of fare dodging by (legitimately) not paying full fare? I'd be interested to see their response but I can't see you getting anything off them. Perhaps you should go with an angle of "old man accused of fare dodging"? After all the media aren't known for telling the truth

Desperate and ridiculous.

 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
There can be no discrimination on the grounds of age if all railcards are rejected, including those such as HM Forces, Network Cards, F&F and Two Together. Indeed, as 16-25 cards are available to mature full time students even that one fails to be discriminatory.

There may be a case to describe barriers rejecting Senior Railcards only as age discrimination, but that is about the best I can say!
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,528
Location
LBK
There can be no discrimination on the grounds of age if all railcards are rejected, including those such as HM Forces, Network Cards, F&F and Two Together. Indeed, as 16-25 cards are available to mature full time students even that one fails to be discriminatory.

There may be a case to describe barriers rejecting Senior Railcards only as age discrimination, but that is about the best I can say!

I was waiting for someone to play the Disabled Card!
 

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
I'm yet to have a Priv ticket rejected anywhere, although the sale of those tickets is more tightly regulated.
Last time I travelled on Southeastern Highspeed, the barriers at St Pancras and Ebbsfleet rejected my PRIV Day Return. But in general, yes, barriers won't reject a PRIV.

Cheers,

Barry
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Not fare-dodging, but given that a discounted ticket must, in almost all cases, be presented with some additional documentation, isn't their action understandable?

In a way, yes .... but if they really want to check the additional documentation in all cases, why not direct passengers with such tickets to a manned gate at the outset, thus cutting down delays at the automatic barriers.

I know from personal experience how annoyed fellow travellers can get, especially in the London area, if your ticket doesn't work the barrier and you delay them for a few seconds ! Even better though when you try your ticket again in case you inserted it incorrectly the first time ;)
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
In a way, yes .... but if they really want to check the additional documentation in all cases, why not direct passengers with such tickets to a manned gate at the outset, thus cutting down delays at the automatic barriers.

I know from personal experience how annoyed fellow travellers can get, especially in the London area, if your ticket doesn't work the barrier and you delay them for a few seconds ! Even better though when you try your ticket again in case you inserted it incorrectly the first time ;)

They could direct people to manned gate but I suspect they will still insist you put in the barrier first.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
They could direct people to manned gate but I suspect they will still insist you put in the barrier first.

I don't doubt that you are correct. On many occasions I have been told to put a ticket though a barrier even though I know it won't work, which is why I have approached the manned gate in the first place :lol:
 

Chris999999

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2010
Messages
238
In such situations it is best to try your ticket by inserting it in all 4 possible ways, and then repeating this again in case you made a mistake with the original 4 choices. Repeat this at every available barrier.

The crowds of delayed commuters will give encouragement!
 

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Joined
12 Jul 2011
Messages
1,290
In such situations it is best to try your ticket by inserting it in all 4 possible ways, and then repeating this again in case you made a mistake with the original 4 choices. Repeat this at every available barrier.

The crowds of delayed commuters will give encouragement!

I must try that! :D
 

craigwilson

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
424
Location
Buxton, Derbyshire
Last time I travelled on Southeastern Highspeed, the barriers at St Pancras and Ebbsfleet rejected my PRIV Day Return. But in general, yes, barriers won't reject a PRIV.

St Pancras seems to reject anything that isn't a "To: LONDON TERMINALS" route "PLUS HIGH SPEED". Sometimes the odd onward Off-Peak ticket works it, but I've never had an Advance open the gate. I always just go straight for the gate staff now!!

It's strange because the Victoria barriers (the other station I tend to use for journeys into/via London) have never rejected anything.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
It's strange because the Victoria barriers (the other station I tend to use for journeys into/via London) have never rejected anything.

My experience at Victoria says that the barriers in front of Platform 15-19 reject Route Southern Only Advances and gateline staff insist on seeing the reservation coupon too.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
My experience at Victoria says that the barriers in front of Platform 15-19 reject Route Southern Only Advances and gateline staff insist on seeing the reservation coupon too.

Was fun with the Southern 90% off advances - just about every single gate was jammed with the advance tickets stuck inside - cue one very embarrassed gateline attendant having to retrieve them all!
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
St Pancras seems to reject anything that isn't a "To: LONDON TERMINALS" route "PLUS HIGH SPEED". Sometimes the odd onward Off-Peak ticket works it, but I've never had an Advance open the gate. I always just go straight for the gate staff now!!

Well tickets to Calais work the barriers (route any permitted) even though they arnt valid on HS1 according to Southeastern Trains.

Or are you talking about the EMT platform's in perticular?

Sent from my HTC Desire S
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Like Mike said, it's not so much about having to present my railcard. It's the fact that there is a huge crowd of people behind you that whinge and moan because you didn't go through, but then have their tickets rejected too.

I think the code that comes up on the barriers is 135. It's obviously a TL wide thing.
 

craigwilson

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
424
Location
Buxton, Derbyshire
My experience at Victoria says that the barriers in front of Platform 15-19 reject Route Southern Only Advances and gateline staff insist on seeing the reservation coupon too.

My experience with Victoria is with the Southeastern platforms....I've only ever used Oyster on the Southern platforms.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
The FCC GN route stations in Hertfordshire will not accept the tickets sold with the 50% discount given to holders of a Hertfordshire senior bus pass.
I gather this is due to the ticket type not being programmed into the barriers.

They used to reject any advance tickets booked via East Coast but this seems to have been fixed now.
 

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,234
Location
Reading
In such situations it is best to try your ticket by inserting it in all 4 possible ways, and then repeating this again in case you made a mistake with the original 4 choices. Repeat this at every available barrier.

I thought the reason for a magnetic stripe in the centre (rather than offset, as on credit cards), was that there were only two possible ways of inserting it (facing up or facing down). It actually seems to me a better design than credit cards have, but I suppose there must be a reason for the stripe being offset that I'm not aware of.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I thought the reason for a magnetic stripe in the centre (rather than offset, as on credit cards), was that there were only two possible ways of inserting it (facing up or facing down). It actually seems to me a better design than credit cards have, but I suppose there must be a reason for the stripe being offset that I'm not aware of.

I thought it was so that the card is easy to hold when swiping by hand - the older readers were quite bulky.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I thought the reason for a magnetic stripe in the centre (rather than offset, as on credit cards), was that there were only two possible ways of inserting it (facing up or facing down). It actually seems to me a better design than credit cards have, but I suppose there must be a reason for the stripe being offset that I'm not aware of.

I very strongly suspect that Chris999999 was joking.

I less strongly suspect that the credit card stripe in on one side because that's how the first person who made a magnetic stripe card decided to do it. It could also be because the readers don't need to be as large.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top