• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barcode tickets and cross-London splits

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryF

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2022
Messages
163
Location
UK
Apologies for the long post, I often split tickets for cross-London journeys, as it’s often cheaper to book Newark North Gate - London Kings Cross and London Paddington - Bristol.



I always ensure that I book to London Underground Zone 1 on one of the legs so the tickets “join up” so will end up with a Newark North Gate - London Underground Zone 1 and a London Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads single. I always ensure the minimum connection times are taken into account. Where possible, I use TrainSplit and get one booking reference, but sometimes due to extended booking horizons this isn’t possible.



When there’s been disruption on the first leg, there’s not usually been an argument about me getting the next train out of London, complying with the train operator restriction.



Recently however, I had an issue when collecting the ticket for the London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads ticket. As a result, I had to visit the ticket office and it was printed on Paper Roll with a barcode. The Newark North Gate to London Underground zone 1 ticket was booked separately and was printed as a credit card sized ticket.



Unfortunately there was disruption between Newark and London on the 21st February due to signalling issues at Peterborough. The train eventually arrived at London King’s Cross 58 minutes late. I made my way to Paddington as quickly as possible using the tube but had missed my connecting train out of Paddington.



At first the gateline staff were reluctant to let me travel on the next train to Bristol as the Paddington-Bristol ticket was a paper roll ticket with barcode. They took a lot of persuading to allow me on the next train, and I was told that “just this once” I’d be allowed to travel, the reasons for the initial refusal were “barcode tickets can’t be used in any part of a cross London journey” and that there was “a crackdown on people doing cross-London journeys”and “ideally these should be done on CrossCountry as you get one ticket”



My initial opinion is that the staff member was a little misguided, however having seen the new barcode tickets coming out of ScotRail and Greater Anglia ticket machines I’m beginning to wonder if they’re telling the truth.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,288
Location
Crawley
That's complete nonsense. Paddington gateline has a reputation, let's say.
 

HarryF

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2022
Messages
163
Location
UK
That's complete nonsense. Paddington gateline has a reputation, let's say.
Thanks, I didn’t realise Paddington gateline had a reputation, I wonder how many people have been given the wrong information!
 

Benjwri

Established Member
Joined
16 Jan 2022
Messages
3,323
Location
London
I wonder if this is even worth a complaint? It’s normally unlikely HWR will do anything, but I wonder if they might be displeased with customers being told to use a different TOC enough that they do do something.
 

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,713
Location
Slade Green
what on earth does this mean? people using the tube on tickets without a maltese cross?
I would also be interested to know what that means. I rather doubt gateline staff working for TOCs would be told to crack down on people dodging tube fares. I could believe they may have been encouraged to crack down on people who have made a cross-London transfer trying to board a train other than the one they've booked.

My personal experience is it's got much harder in recent years to buy a through ticket from Slade Green to distant destinations via London on a sensible itinerary. As best I can work out this seems to be both because of some long-distance operators not pricing their cheap advance tickets on an "& connections" basis (i.e. making them available to and/or from stations not on their network) and also because of some weird routing restrictions in London involving the Elizabeth Line. (The latter is still a problem even if you split the tickets in the way the OP has set out).

Being a bit cynical, I suspect they know many people who live in and around London are accustomed to using contactless and so, if you steer them towards buying a ticket from the terminus in London, many will think "that's fine, I can just tap in and out to get there" and then you can make them think (rightly or wrongly) that it's their problem if they are delayed and miss their connection onto the long-distance train.
 

HarryF

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2022
Messages
163
Location
UK
I get the impression that the staff member was annoyed people were saving money by splitting tickets.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Perhaps they were confused because barcode tickets not being accepted by the tube and one of your tickets being a barcode one (despite it not being the one you used on the tube). Your tickets sound perfectly valid to mep
 

a729

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2013
Messages
159
Would delay repay be applicable to the entire cost or just the 1st portion of the journey due to split tickets?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
Would delay repay be applicable to the entire cost or just the 1st portion of the journey due to split tickets?
Your rights to Delay Repay on split tickets are the same as if you were on a through ticket, provided you allow enough time for changes and the tickets join up.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Sounds like Paddington gateline making up their own rules, as they are known to do.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,531
Location
LBK
One of the more inventive and original lies told by front line staff, so give them some credit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top