this is completely incorrect and we would ask that any advice given is accurate.
Fraud must involve dishonesty, which was not present in the OP's case.
I am speaking from experience. GWR train in February 2017. The horrible experience is still fresh in my mind.
Which is why I put (an apparently) in brackets. It's how they can choose to see it. I agree that they need to prove intent and in the case of OP, that wasn't there, but nothing prevents them from trying to pursue - and spectacularly fail.
For those wondering what happened:
I bought a ticket from TVM. For some reason it declined the card, so I tried 3 times and was successful on the third attempt. On checking my statement, I saw three charges. Went to the station and they fobbed me off, along the lines that I must have bought the ticket three times and am trying to make a false claim. Card was AMEX and I raised a dispute. Got my tw9 refunds from AMEX. following week, when I had a buy a ticket, the card declined and having experience of last time, I decided to go to the counter where I was told that the card was blacklisted and am trying to commit fraud and if I don't stop what I am doing, they will report me to the authorities.
Now whether this was a lone staff acting outside their remit or something with GWR, I don't know and at this point I don't care, but it did leave a bad impression on me. I could still use the card everywhere else.
Point being nothing prevents them from accusing OP - which I wanted to hihighlight am not saying it will happen or has to happen.