• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bangor - Liverpool: Merseyrail strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
Under normal circumstances, only map CH is available for this route, which has mapped routes from Crewe and Liverpool to Chester and onwards to North Wales. There is no connection between Crewe and Liverpool, so only travelling via Merseyrail is allowed.

What happens during the strike isn't yet announced, but if you hold a ticket bought pre-strike announcement (and maybe also pre-detail announcement), I'd assume train staff wouldn't make too much of a fuss about travelling via Crewe, especially if you try and find the train guard upon/before boarding and explain them beforehand why you're doing so.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,642
Location
Merseyside
via Crewe is reasonable in the absence of any direct service from Liverpool to Chester in my opinion. I would personally do that.
 

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2013
Messages
1,510
Location
Llandudno
or via Warrington. Maybe easier if you can get one of the few direct Manchester's from Bangor.

Again , assuming ticket acceptance on reasonable routes.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,721
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Notably ticket acceptance is not mandatory for strikes. During the Silverlink strikes some years ago, VTWC made it very clear that they would not under any circumstances be accepting any tickets that would not otherwise be valid on their services.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
I was under the impression that CSL2 incidents mandate ticket acceptance nowadays
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,642
Location
Merseyside
I honestly don't think you will have any problems having your ticket accepted between Liverpool and Crewe. Virgin don't tend to check tickets until after Stafford and I've found the London Midland guards to be very reasonable.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,642
Location
Merseyside
Thanks again guys. Fingers crossed it won't be a problem anyway, but useful to have the information.

I personally would get on the train that suits my itinerary best. I would be ready to give an explanation as to why you are travelling via Warrington or Crewe. I think your explanation is very reasonable that you are going to the nearest station from Liverpool to pick up a direct Bangor service, because of the strike action. There is a chance your ticket will be just accepted to be honest. The guards on that route will know that Merseyrail will be on strike. Of course you cannot be sure of this but a simple explanation I would hope would be enough.

I do think it is a poor show on Merseyrail with their lack of ticket acceptance on other operators when their strike are on and lack of provision of rail replacement buses onward from Hooton and acceptance of rail tickets on local buses..
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,642
Location
Merseyside
I'm going to have a chance it on the Friday of the strike day getting from Waterloo to Formby. My only option is to get the last 47 bus back. Hopefully at around 22.30 it will a. Run and b. Not be too busy and I'll be able to board.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top