• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Banbury to Bradford permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

XC victim

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2015
Messages
174
I often travel from Banbury to Bradford. I change at Doncaster and Leeds, using a std Off Peak Return. Would I be permitted to instead use the Grand Central services between Doncaster and Bradford instead of going through Leeds. I know this used to be permitted but not sure if it is still a permitted route.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,417
I often travel from Banbury to Bradford. I change at Doncaster and Leeds, using a std Off Peak Return. Would I be permitted to instead use the Grand Central services between Doncaster and Leeds instead of going through Leeds. I know this used to be permitted but not sure if it is still a permitted route.
Do you mean "between Doncaster and Bradford"?
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,417
Assuming you do, the answer appears to be "no". The only mapped route via Doncaster is a combination of maps RL + DO. And map DO only links Bradford via Leeds to the outside world.

This does seem a bit odd. Not only is the Grand Central service via Pontefract, Wakefield Kirkgate and Mirfield not mapped, but neither is Sheffield - Barnsley - Huddersfield - Bradford (though this might be the shortest route - I haven't checked).

I doubt anyone would notice or care though, in practice.
 

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,417
sorry, yes I did mean Bradford.

No worries I will just have to keep going via Leeds. Shame it is a nice ride between Doncaster and Bradford on the Grand Central services
Just ask the GC guard at Doncaster. If they say your ticket is valid then it is.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,831
Would the direct trains rule not apply for the GC trains?
No, because the 'direct trains rule' applies to trains between the origin and destination on the ticket and GC don't call at Banbury.
 

hkstudent

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
1,431
Location
SE London
Will split of tickets can do?
1. Banbury - Wakefield Stations
2. Wakefield Stations - Bradford Stations

If so, OP need to pay £2 extra for a return trip if want a GC ride.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top