• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Baggage Rustling on the West Highland Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
In an area more associated with sheep abduction I feel it my duty to report that on yesterdays 0857 from Oban to Glasgow there was an incidence of the above nature.

A trio of luggage heisters boarded at Arrochar and Tarbet alighting at Helensburgh. In the intervening period it transpired they had rifled through the bag of a gentleman removing items of value.It was in the luggage rack.

The crew made an announcement asking everyone to check they had not suffered a similar fate.

This is the first time I have come across this :idea:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
In an area more associated with sheep abduction I feel it my duty to report that on yesterdays 0857 from Oban to Glasgow there was an incidence of the above nature.

A trio of luggage heisters boarded at Arrochar and Tarbet alighting at Helensburgh. In the intervening period it transpired they had rifled through the bag of a gentleman removing items of value.It was in the luggage rack.

The crew made an announcement asking everyone to check they had not suffered a similar fate.

This is the first time I have come across this :idea:

Been happening in mainland Europe for many years, we now appear to have imported the practice. Keep all luggage within sight or use a luggage cable lock through zips.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,346
Location
Herts
It used to happen a lot on ATW services around Newport. Don't know if it still is.

I/C services along the North Wales coast used to suffer from opportunistic thieves boarding at intermediate stops. Pick and select and get off at a convenient point.
 
Joined
13 Apr 2011
Messages
649
Location
Helsby
Virgin staff used to issue warning over the intercom on the west coast run from Euston to Liverpool a few years ago. Not sure if this is still the case.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Obviously it is best not to store anything valuable in luggage if possible, especially if luggage is going to be stored near vestibule ends.

Furthermore, although it may be the best of intentions, I would not recommend using padlocks, cable straps, etc to secure luggage, as it would automatically draw attention to professional crooks that there is stuff inside that is worth nicking.

When I frequently stewarded at festivals, it was surprising the number of the general public who enquired about if there was a stall on the festival site that sold padlocks so as they could secure their tent. I explained that is the easiest tents for professional crooks to target, as it is screaming out to them that there are items worth nicking that are inside the tent. I made the recommendation for them to use the onsite lockers, of which they were grateful for.
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Obviously it is best not to store anything valuable in luggage if possible, especially if luggage is going to be stored near vestibule ends.

Furthermore, although it may be the best of intentions, I would not recommend using padlocks, cable straps, etc to secure luggage, as it would automatically draw attention to professional crooks that there is stuff inside that is worth nicking.

When I frequently stewarded at festivals, it was surprising the number of the general public who enquired about if there was a stall on the festival site that sold padlocks so as they could secure their tent. I explained that is the easiest tents for professional crooks to target, as it is screaming out to them that there are items worth nicking that are inside the tent. I made the recommendation for them to use the onsite lockers, of which they were grateful for.

Good point re not attracting attention. I have seen some backbackers use a cable system with an alarm with the inevitable results when someone moves their bag to get to their own!

Other than keeping it in sight (which is not going to be possible with large cases) what other options do passengers have to not become a victim of this vermin?
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,775
Clever packing: stick to bags without external pockets and place smaller items further inside, larger items (eg towels) to the top to make it more obvious if someone is rummaging. All valuables and small items in hand luggage, keep that close.
 
Last edited:

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Clever packing: stick to bags without external pockets and place smaller items further inside, larger items (eg towels) to the top to make it more obvious if someone is rummaging. All valuables and small items in hand luggage, keep that close.

Another one is to put anything valuable which can't be kept on you in an empty box of tampons or other ladies sanitary product inside the case. The amount of male thieves who won't touch them!
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
Another one is to put anything valuable which can't be kept on you in an empty box of tampons or other ladies sanitary product inside the case. The amount of male thieves who won't touch them!

One of the culprits on the "Great WHL Robbery" was female :p
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
On North TPE whole suitcases have been stolen from the train. Putting wide double doors next to luggage racks may help dwell times but it also helps thieves.
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
This is not a new thing. It happened to a friends of mine about 30 years ago when they were travelling from Glasgow to Nottingham. After travelling down the WCML, when they arrived at Crewe ready to change trains for Nottingham, they found that that their large case had been stolen.

Even though that happened to them 30 years ago it has always meant that I never leave my case somewhere where I can't see it when I travel by train. This is not made easy with many of the modern trains where even a small case will not fit on the luggage rack. I now mainly use a medium sized case which does fit in the luggage rack above where I'm sitting on an HST, Mk 4, and most DMU's I travel on like Class 150, 156, 158 and 185. Unfortunately it does not fit on the useless small luggage racks on Voyagers and Meridians. When I travel on those types of trains I'm afraid I would rather struggle and sit cramped up with my case under my feet or between my legs rather than using the end of carriage luggage racks and worrying about it for the whole journey. Usually, if possible I try to plan my journey using trains where my case will fit on the rack even if it does mean a longer journey time.
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,154
Location
Cornwall
This used to be an issue on the overnight sleepers to / from Penzance, it may indeed still be an issue. Last time I travelled on the down sleepers from Paddington a BT police patrol was on board for part of the journey.
Announcements were made on the train mainly for the benefit of passengers in the day coach.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,107
Location
North Wales
I/C services along the North Wales coast used to suffer from opportunistic thieves boarding at intermediate stops. Pick and select and get off at a convenient point.

As I recall it was generally disembarking with someone's luggage in this area, as opposed to stealing items out of the luggage and leaving the case.
 

R4_GRN

Member
Joined
11 Jul 2012
Messages
135
I always use a bicycle cable lock on cases left in the rack between the case and the rack. padlocking the zips of the case ensures I can relax, fall asleep, go to the loo etc without worrying about the case, works a treat never had a problem
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
As I recall it was generally disembarking with someone's luggage in this area, as opposed to stealing items out of the luggage and leaving the case.

About 25 years ago I did this by mistake! Taking about 20 youngsters to a summer camp, we changed trains and found one bag left over on the platform once everyone had collected theirs. We told platform staff straight away, who phoned ahead so that the rightful owner could be reunited with their dirty laundry.
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,198
With a cable lock I suppose it would be possible to lock your case to the train, as well as locking the case.
 

father_jack

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2010
Messages
1,557
With a cable lock I suppose it would be possible to lock your case to the train, as well as locking the case.

But wouldn't "over security" draw more attention to the fact that there might something worth stealing...........
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
But wouldn't "over security" draw more attention to the fact that there might something worth stealing...........
And would also, on a technicality, be illegal in itself:
Byelaw 6(3) said:
No person shall write, draw, paint or fix anything on the railway.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
With a cable lock I suppose it would be possible to lock your case to the train, as well as locking the case.

If the bag was considered unattended, and locked to the train, then you'd most likely have a full scale anti terrorist operation descend upon the train.

Is there CCTV on these units?

Yes, there should be.
 

didcotdean

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2013
Messages
169
In 1994 a thief took a bag from a train at Reading only to find later that it had a 7kg of Semtex in it, although the bomb was unprimed.
 
Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Doesn't that technically mean using the fittings provided on the train for securing bicycles are illegal?

Arguably no, as the fixing is provided by the railway company, and is releasable by anybody.
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
I always use a bicycle cable lock on cases left in the rack between the case and the rack. padlocking the zips of the case ensures I can relax, fall asleep, go to the loo etc without worrying about the case, works a treat never had a problem
Until you lose the key!
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,373
Not luggage, but I've experienced undesirables attempting to steal bicycles from my train on services between Southampton and Portsmouth. You sometimes have to pay real attention to who boards with a bike and make sure it's the the same person alighting with it!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Another one is to put anything valuable which can't be kept on you in an empty box of tampons or other ladies sanitary product inside the case. The amount of male thieves who won't touch them!

One of the culprits on the "Great WHL Robbery" was female :p

Women won't steal another woman's "lady things" though- sisterhood is alive and well on that front!

Of course, you do need a female to supply you with empty boxes for that strategy!
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Doesn't that technically mean using the fittings provided on the train for securing bicycles are illegal?

No, as they don't permit a passenger to physically lock their cycle to it. Is merely stored.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
It was mentioned earlier that this is not something that's new. I agree. The way to keep your most valuable possessions safe is to keep them with you, on your lap, at your feet or immediately above you, and then keep a close eye on them.

Even though my bigger bags are normally filled only with items of clothing, I still try and make sure that I keep an eye on them. Even though I'm not sentimentally attached to items of underwear I still don't want to lose anything if I can help it :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top