• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BA 777 From Bejing crash lands at LHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nathan

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
1,050
Looks dreadful !, Pilot lost all control and glided the 777 over the perimeter fence!, Landing gear was snapped off and the engines look rurined!:(:(.

It was an unfortunate event, but doesnt really look dreadful unlike the worst case scenario of falling even shorter into residential houses, engine fire etc...

what could have been a very serious incident just averted. Very proffesionally handled, we'll see how events unfold.
 

5872

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
2,277
Location
A6-EHF
It was an unfortunate event, but doesnt really look dreadful unlike the worst case scenario of falling even shorter into residential houses, engine fire etc...

what could have been a very serious incident just averted. Very proffesionally handled, we'll see how events unfold.

G-YMMM:(, is what Ive been told....
 
T

Tom

Guest
Did you just misspell GYM? In which case yes you do need to go. ;)

Yes, I do know what he actually means...
 

LucaZone

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2006
Messages
752
Location
West End, Surrey
The undercarriage fell out? Guess you havent been reading or following the news progress.

Seems quite clear from the markings on the ground that all 3 undercarriage points hit the ground first, just inside the perimeter, before they were crushed by the weight of the plane above them. Resulting in them snapping over as the plane slide along the ground.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I'd have hated be on that plane. I sh*t myself whenever there's even a wee bit of turbulance.
 

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Joined
7 Sep 2005
Messages
1,787
Location
Loughborough
Interestingly I was messing around with X Plane last night flying the BA777 model. I did an approach to Heathrow runway 27L and once I was stable on the approach (flaps fully down, gear down, approach speed) I set the auto-throttle to fail at current thrust (just over 50x N1). The result was almost an exact recreation of what we know about the crash, the plane began to loose speed, slip under the glideslope, with the auto-pilot pulling the nose up. I disconnected and tried to keep it high for as long as possible, but it stalled and hit the ground hard some way from the runway (before the real one did, I probably landed on or even just before the road). The most amazing part was that it actually came to a rest within meters of where the real one did. Oviously it can't be said to be any kind of a recreation, since I didn't have the weight set correctly, or the approach speed, and my efforts to recover were unlikely that close to what they really did, plus we still don't know much about what actually happened, but it was very interesting to see how this particular failure could leave to a similar outcome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top