GRALISTAIR
Established Member
I am sure with all the data etc, improvements will be made and we will get better at this. I am not concerned .
I am. it's a pretty poor do if a specialist firm supplies, installs and runs something like this in 2025 and it fails at the first challenge.I am sure with all the data etc, improvements will be made and we will get better at this. I am not concerned .
"However, it had not been formally entered into operational use, so was not sending alerts to the Network Rail control centre."
I am. it's a pretty poor do if a specialist firm supplies, installs and runs something like this in 2025 and it fails at the first challenge.
Echoes of new rail siting in the fourfoot at Hatfield .I think a key point of RAIBs release has been overlooked. It states that the system was not yet in comission,
If the system was not in use, then the traditional method of inspection at the required intervals should have been in operation. Of course, how often inspections were done does depend on what risk level Network Rail had assigned to it.I think a key point of RAIBs release has been overlooked. It states that the system was not yet in comission, so there may well have been reservations about it's performance from the NR side.
Surely it has to be fully operational to be effectve. It seems to have been working but not connected in a way to deliver prompt readings to the appropriate section.If the system was not in use, then the traditional method of inspection at the required intervals should have been in operation. Of course, how often inspections were done does depend on what risk level Network Rail had assigned to it.
As there are other operational sites elsewhere across the network, that does raise the further question of why it was not operational.
... but this one didn't!Except it hasn‘t “fallen at the first challenge”.
Systems such as these have been successfully providing warnings of ground movement for years.
Until it’s commissioned, it can’t be regarded as a reliable asset. In fact, it may not even belong to Network Rail as the commissioning process will prove it can meet certain challenges, been installed to design, be loaded with the correct software and meets its intent. Only then will it be integrated into the NR assets.... but this one didn't!
I think they have been there quite a long time now, I wonder when they will actually become operational? And whether this applies to all the other sets of sensors in the area too?Until it’s commissioned, it can’t be regarded as a reliable asset. In fact, it may not even belong to Network Rail as the commissioning process will prove it can meet certain challenges, been installed to design, be loaded with the correct software and meets its intent. Only then will it be integrated into the NR assets.
Quite, this would be a notably bigger issue if the sensor assets were commissioned and in use. I'd imagine the full RAIB report will explore the commissioning process and how those assets specifically were developed/commissioned.Until it’s commissioned, it can’t be regarded as a reliable asset. In fact, it may not even belong to Network Rail as the commissioning process will prove it can meet certain challenges, been installed to design, be loaded with the correct software and meets its intent. Only then will it be integrated into the NR assets.