• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avoiding London - whatcha reckon my chances and exactly what to ask for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,912
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
I have an advance from Durham to Kings Cross leaving 3:45ish - my ultimate destination being Watford. I've a vague plan of trying to get someone to endorse the ticket to travel via Birmingham instead so that I can avoid what will probably be a couple of hours queueing at Euston at the other end.

How do you reckon my chances and who would you recommend approaching for the greatest possibilities of success? Am I missing out on a more sensible option? (I did look into just switching to other services but they were mostly unavailable, presumably due to cross country's silly reservation policy)

Ticket was bought through railforums.co.uk if it makes a difference!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,517
Location
Yorkshire
Cancel the journey using the refund portal and book the itinerary you want, to the destination you want to go to.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,901
How do you reckon my chances and who would you recommend approaching for the greatest possibilities of success?
If you have an Advance from Durham to King's Cross, the chances of them letting you go via Birmingham to get to Watford are almost nil.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,721
Why do you think you will be queuing for hours at Euston? London Overground to Watford are rarely full at Euston and you could also see what the Met Line is like at Kings Cross.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,840
Cancel the journey using the refund portal and book the itinerary you want, to the destination you want to go to.
Probably too late as the OP is likely to be travelling today. I can’t imagine there would be any prospect of “a couple of hours queuing at Euston” on any normal day.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,912
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
Probably too late as the OP is likely to be travelling today. I can’t imagine there would be any prospect of “a couple of hours queuing at Euston” on any normal day.

Precisely.

I've just deciced to risk it and if I have to queue a couple of hours so be it. Oddly this train is pretty busy itself which I wouldn't have anticipated.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
You won't have a two hour wait to travel from Euston to Watford.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Are you talking about Overground to Watford High Street or LNR to Watford Junction?
Both. You might have to stand on LNR but I thinkj it's highly unlikely that you wouldn't get on a train.

I'm sure @Egg Centric will update us in due course.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,912
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
Are you talking about Overground to Watford High Street or LNR to Watford Junction?

Happy with either as my ultimate destination is a Premier Inn roughly equidistant between the two.

Both. You might have to stand on LNR but I thinkj it's highly unlikely that you wouldn't get on a train.

I'm sure @Egg Centric will update us in due course.

Will do :)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Update since I promised: No queues whatsoever at either Kings Cross, St Pancras (probably) or Euston. Seems quieter than normal if anything
 
Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,023
Location
Yellabelly Country
That would be right. I caught a train to London King's Cross about 08:20 this morning, only stop at Stevenage. There was me and one other in coach B all the way. The rest of the train was lightly loaded too.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Update since I promised: No queues whatsoever at either Kings Cross, St Pancras (probably) or Euston. Seems quieter than normal if anything
As I suspected then ;)

Good that you had a straightforward journey.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,912
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
As I suspected then ;)

Good that you had a straightforward journey.

Thanks. Must admit I feel a wee bit silly given how easy it was.

I was warned by many people "oop norf" about how horrendous it was going to be - and I had already come to those conclusions myself. So I don't think I was utterly delusional. Just wrong and presumably ill informed.

Since (hopefully) this isn't going to happen again for at least fifteen years I don't think there's much future applicability to anything really. But thanks and maybe this thread will help a future historian.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,517
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks. Must admit I feel a wee bit silly given how easy it was.

I was warned by many people "oop norf" about how horrendous it was going to be - and I had already come to those conclusions myself. So I don't think I was utterly delusional. Just wrong and presumably ill informed.

Since (hopefully) this isn't going to happen again for at least fifteen years I don't think there's much future applicability to anything really. But thanks and maybe this thread will help a future historian.
Maybe they heard of someone having to queue at one of the stations around Green Park and thought that would apply to Euston.

People up north who don't visit London (much) don't always have an accurate idea of what London is like.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top