• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Average cost of restoring a locomotive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

60163

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2011
Messages
515
Location
All around Sloane Square
...I just need to know for a college project article i'm writing.

I used to have an article on this subject in an issue of Railways Illustrated that can't find now. <(

I know it's about £100,000 but I'd need to quote the exact issue of the magazine as a source. Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGVDUDE

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,041
Location
Cheltenham
I suppose it matters on the initial condition of said loco, sorry about not answering, somewhat curious myself :)
 

Mvann

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2010
Messages
790
Location
Peterborough
I think it was either in September or October issue. I assume you are on about diesel locos and not steam?
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,107
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
Depends on:-
Size.
Type (Steam - Diesel etc)
Standard of restoration - Heritage line use or Main line.
Availability of parts.
Time available or lack of.
Volunteer workforce or paid staff.

That is just what I can think of in 2 minutes.

Main line steamer could set you back £500,000 to get back to working order.
Or maybe more if the name is Flying Scotsman.
 

Kinghambranch

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
73
Location
Bomber County
A very difficult question to answer; as previous posters have said. In my experience, restoring a steam locomotive to working order on a heritage line took 29 years and the best part of half a million pounds. Like most projects, it is always the vicious triangle of the "dog with 3 masters" You can have something restored quickly, you can have something restored very well or you can have something restored very cheaply: You cannot have all three. If you get 2 out of 3 that's brilliant!
In the case of the 9F, its a really big job but, in some respects, not too bad as its a BR standard locomotive so some spares, fittings and drawings etc are not too difficult to find. There is also some experience in restoring these locomotives. I'm not sure of the situation regarding diesels but the bodywork seems to take much time and effort so would be expensive. However, the results are usually excellent.
Skilled volunteer labour and a large volunteer support group are more valuable than diamonds when restoring these beasties. Witness the very swift rebuild of the "cut and paste" Hawksworth County and now, soon to be constructed, the "night owl" Churchward 47xx.
 

MP33

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2011
Messages
635
Thoughts I had on this subject were,

When does it become more viable to build a replica rather than restore the original?

Would anyone in the business of building replica steam locomotives adopt the business model that manufacturers of super cars use of;

Making an announcement of their plans,

Obtaining orders/deposits for say 20 or 30 of the same,

Then building them using the advantages of economies of scale to keep the price down,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top