• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hapt1n

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2014
Messages
22

SansHache

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
182
Location
Manchester
Anyone know which set is in for refurbishment ? 122 is back in service.
390151 (22nd set for refurbishment) replaced 390122 at Widnes, arriving early on Saturday 11th February. Full list of modified trains below.

TrainReturn to Service
39010306-Oct-22
39010426-Aug-22
39010724-Jan-23
39011412-Nov-22
39011505-Nov-22
39011920-Sep-22
39012212-Feb-23
39012306-May-22
39012430-Jul-22
39012525-Apr-22
39012629-Jan-23
39012729-Nov-22
39012817-Sep-22
39012911-Dec-22
39013116-Jul-22
39014130-Dec-22
39014814-May-22
390151At Widnes
39015412-Jun-22
39015520-May-22
39015625-May-22
39015725-Jun-22
 

qantas330

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2022
Messages
90
Location
Derby
390151 (22nd set for refurbishment) replaced 390122 at Widnes, arriving early on Saturday 11th February. Full list of modified trains below.

TrainReturn to Service
39010306-Oct-22
39010426-Aug-22
39010724-Jan-23
39011412-Nov-22
39011505-Nov-22
39011920-Sep-22
39012212-Feb-23
39012306-May-22
39012430-Jul-22
39012525-Apr-22
39012629-Jan-23
39012729-Nov-22
39012817-Sep-22
39012911-Dec-22
39013116-Jul-22
39014130-Dec-22
39014814-May-22
390151At Widnes
39015412-Jun-22
39015520-May-22
39015625-May-22
39015725-Jun-22
Thats great - thank you
 

43102EMR

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2021
Messages
1,376
Location
UK
390151 (22nd set for refurbishment) replaced 390122 at Widnes, arriving early on Saturday 11th February. Full list of modified trains below.

TrainReturn to Service
39010306-Oct-22
39010426-Aug-22
39010724-Jan-23
39011412-Nov-22
39011505-Nov-22
39011920-Sep-22
39012212-Feb-23
39012306-May-22
39012430-Jul-22
39012525-Apr-22
39012629-Jan-23
39012729-Nov-22
39012817-Sep-22
39012911-Dec-22
39013116-Jul-22
39014130-Dec-22
39014814-May-22
390151At Widnes
39015412-Jun-22
39015520-May-22
39015625-May-22
39015725-Jun-22
Seems like the 11 coaches are now being put through at a fast pace - hopefully not much longer until the 9 cars can be worked on too!
 

hapt1n

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2014
Messages
22
Each 11 car is now taking 2 weeks to complete, 26 weeks to go before the first 9 car.
 

eroded

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2012
Messages
53
Refurbished Pendos both ways today for the first time. Impressions mostly good.

But they're removed the carriage letter sticks from the glass vestibule doors.

It confused even the catering staff this morning! I ordered a coffee to coach U, and he brought it through U to G (11-car Pendo, G is after U) accidentally, before having to work out that he wasn't in U.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,722
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Refurbished Pendos both ways today for the first time. Impressions mostly good.

But they're removed the carriage letter sticks from the glass vestibule doors.

It confused even the catering staff this morning! I ordered a coffee to coach U, and he brought it through U to G (11-car Pendo, G is after U) accidentally, before having to work out that he wasn't in U.

When they're all done I wonder will they consider a re-lettering to make it run in order?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,722
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Good question - is there a specific reason why U comes before G today?

When the units were taken from 9 to 11 cars, there wasn't another letter to insert between F and G, and by doing it the way they did they could mix the sets without worrying about reservations not working, and indeed could sub a 9 for an 11 with the reservations still working too, as C, F, U and G were unreserved.
 

eroded

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2012
Messages
53
When the units were taken from 9 to 11 cars, there wasn't another letter to insert between F and G, and by doing it the way they did they could mix the sets without worrying about reservations not working, and indeed could sub a 9 for an 11 with the reservations still working too, as C, F, U and G were unreserved.
Thanks - but why not simply insert U between G and H?
 

eroded

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2012
Messages
53
When U went in, G was still first class.
D'oh! Of course.

Those were the days - I certainly miss hopping back and forth up to Manchester on ~£30-£40 (railcard) 1st APs with almost a guaranteed table of 4 to myself!

Lovely VT.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,910
Refurbished Pendos both ways today for the first time. Impressions mostly good.

He’s I had refurbs twice today too.

I still get a mild thrill when I put my phone on the table, and without realising it have put it on the induction charger, and it lights up to say charging!
 

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,725
Location
Watford
I still get a mild thrill when I put my phone on the table, and without realising it have put it on the induction charger, and it lights up to say charging!
I did the same :D

I didn't even know my phone was capable of it - I thought it was only for posh phones!
 

Skie

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2008
Messages
1,239
I did the same :D

I didn't even know my phone was capable of it - I thought it was only for posh phones!
The "posh" phones have huge camera bumps that mean it's a bloody pain lining the phone up with the inductive charger if you don't have a case on it to smooth the backside out. And then the phone slides off when tilting!

I will say however, now having done a few more journies on the refurbs, the seats arent all that bad. They do feel hard when you first sit down vs the old seats, but after 3 hours straight on them my backside hasn't complained once yet.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,645
Location
Greater Manchester
I will say however, now having done a few more journies on the refurbs, the seats arent all that bad. They do feel hard when you first sit down vs the old seats, but after 3 hours straight on them my backside hasn't complained once yet.
I've only had 10 minutes on a refurbished one so far and am very much looking forwards to when I get more time on them (probably this summer).
Unfortunately my reserved seat (it was quite busy too) didn't have a very good window view so I couldn't rest on the seat if I wanted to look out the window.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,722
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I've only had 10 minutes on a refurbished one so far and am very much looking forwards to when I get more time on them (probably this summer).
Unfortunately my reserved seat (it was quite busy too) didn't have a very good window view so I couldn't rest on the seat if I wanted to look out the window.

To me the "killer app" is that I now fit all seats rather than only priority. And I like them too, very comfortable and the right angle, not too upright and not too reclined. They really do look basic from a photo (even more so the Lumo ones) but when you sit on them I think they're great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top