• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,515
Neither as of yet:

390123
390125
390131
390148
390154
390155
390156
390157

Are the only ones done so far I believe.

Is the plan to finish all the 11-cars before starting the /0’s?
There only appears one in service today, have all the rest been temporarily withdrawn for some reason?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,885
Location
Cambridge
If it is down to a lack of training in the food bars, I seriously hope there are no cancellations or short-forms (5 or 9 vice 11) as a result. It would be far better to operate the trains and just not have the buffet open in that case.
 

SansHache

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
182
Location
Manchester
Neither as of yet:

390123
390125
390131
390148
390154
390155
390156
390157

Are the only ones done so far I believe.

Is the plan to finish all the 11-cars before starting the /0’s?
390124, the 9th refurbished unit, returned to service this morning from Edge Hill depot.
390104 is now stopped at Alstom Widnes undergoing refurbishment.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Is that enough to put only the refurbed units out in service now to cover the emergency timetable? ;)
It could comfortably cover at least a third of the timetable I’d say!

More likely they’ll send the 9 car’s out… then act surprised when it gets overcrowded as usual!
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,915
It could comfortably cover at least a third of the timetable I’d say!

More likely they’ll send the 9 car’s out… then act surprised when it gets overcrowded as usual!

as posted elsewhere, 44 units are needed to run the emergency timetable.
 

TheHovisKid

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2008
Messages
311
Location
Heysham
More likely they’ll send the 9 car’s out… then act surprised when it gets overcrowded as usual!
"This train is expected to be very busy today. Passengers with nowhere to be may prefer to sit around doing nothing waiting for an equally crowded later train"
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,283
More likely they’ll send the 9 car’s out… then act surprised when it gets overcrowded as usual!
Funny you should say that..
Today's first four (08:47/09:46/10:46/12:28 from London Euston) to Glasgow Central are all allocated 9 car Pendolinos at the moment.
It could even be the first five, as nothing is showing allocated to the 13:28 departure from London Euston on Real Time Trains.
I really think Avanti are taking the Michael, seeing the 08:49 and 10:50 London to Wolverhampton services are both currently allocated 11 car sets.
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,591
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
It could even be the first five, as nothing is showing allocated to the 13:28 departure from London Euston on Real Time Trains.

There are duplicate schedules for the 1328 from Euston; 1S69, due Glasgow Central 1806, no set allocated, and 1Z70, due Glasgow Central 1810, which is (hurrah !) an 11-car.
Presumably the 1S69 schedule has missed being cancelled off, as all other trains on the route today are 1Zxx.

I don't doubt that Avanti have separate diagrams for 9 and 11 car sets, but from experience it is a lottery what actually turns up.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
There are duplicate schedules for the 1328 from Euston; 1S69, due Glasgow Central 1806, no set allocated, and 1Z70, due Glasgow Central 1810, which is (hurrah !) an 11-car.
Presumably the 1S69 schedule has missed being cancelled off, as all other trains on the route today are 1Zxx.

I don't doubt that Avanti have separate diagrams for 9 and 11 car sets, but from experience it is a lottery what actually turns up.
As far as I can tell - it is simply random allocation and little to no thought is given to the demand on the services allocated! Certainly feels that way!
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
It was absolutely chaotic at Stafford yesterday afternoon. The 1643 Stafford to Euston was announced as full and standing even before arrival. A wheelchair user with a reservation was unable to get on. There were repeated announcements that the next service to Milton Keynes and Euston was the LNWR service at 1655 - absolutely nothing said about whether Avanti tickets were valid though - with the next Avanti service an hour later....
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
390119

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I have a feeling that 390121 could be next for refurb.
Is that 390121 going in now?

So 390119 and 390121 are both in, with 390104 having just come out?
 

hapt1n

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2014
Messages
22
IMG_20220817_201841_014.jpg
390104 waiting for inspection at Widnes by Avanti and Angel before heading back in to traffic.
 

Roger B

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2018
Messages
1,279
Location
Gatley
Yesterday I had the misfortune of travelling on 390123 - my first trip on a refurbished Pendo. Dreadful. As if Pendos weren't claustrophobic enough! The wide high seat backs make it virtually impossible to see outside unless you've one of the rare window seats with a forward view - and even then you can see hardly anything through the windows ahead on the other side. Even in bright sunshine the inside feels gloomy. Pretty much kills the joy of rail travel IMHO - might as well be in any old metal tube anywhere.

For many years when I've been going to London from Manchester, I travel via Sheffield. The meridians get a lot of bad press on other threads, but I think they're a massive step-up from the voyagers. In fact, I quite like them. Loads of tables, wide and comfortable seats, wide windows, narrower spaces between windows, feels spacious with plenty of natural light. Beats a cramped, claustrophobic Pendo hands down every time. And not only is going via Sheffield the same price, but it permits me an earlier arrival into London than Avanti off-peak - plus I get to enjoy the great scenery over the peaks. What's not to like!
 

bengley

Established Member
Joined
18 May 2008
Messages
1,987
Yesterday I had the misfortune of travelling on 390123 - my first trip on a refurbished Pendo. Dreadful. As if Pendos weren't claustrophobic enough! The wide high seat backs make it virtually impossible to see outside unless you've one of the rare window seats with a forward view - and even then you can see hardly anything through the windows ahead on the other side. Even in bright sunshine the inside feels gloomy. Pretty much kills the joy of rail travel IMHO - might as well be in any old metal tube anywhere.

For many years when I've been going to London from Manchester, I travel via Sheffield. The meridians get a lot of bad press on other threads, but I think they're a massive step-up from the voyagers. In fact, I quite like them. Loads of tables, wide and comfortable seats, wide windows, narrower spaces between windows, feels spacious with plenty of natural light. Beats a cramped, claustrophobic Pendo hands down every time. And not only is going via Sheffield the same price, but it permits me an earlier arrival into London than Avanti off-peak - plus I get to enjoy the great scenery over the peaks. What's not to like!
I disagree. I think they're much more comfortable and less claustrophobic with more legroom in standard and much fresher and more efficient air conditioning.

Each to their own though!
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
Yesterday I had the misfortune of travelling on 390123 - my first trip on a refurbished Pendo. Dreadful. As if Pendos weren't claustrophobic enough! The wide high seat backs make it virtually impossible to see outside unless you've one of the rare window seats with a forward view - and even then you can see hardly anything through the windows ahead on the other side. Even in bright sunshine the inside feels gloomy. Pretty much kills the joy of rail travel IMHO - might as well be in any old metal tube anywhere.

For many years when I've been going to London from Manchester, I travel via Sheffield. The meridians get a lot of bad press on other threads, but I think they're a massive step-up from the voyagers. In fact, I quite like them. Loads of tables, wide and comfortable seats, wide windows, narrower spaces between windows, feels spacious with plenty of natural light. Beats a cramped, claustrophobic Pendo hands down every time. And not only is going via Sheffield the same price, but it permits me an earlier arrival into London than Avanti off-peak - plus I get to enjoy the great scenery over the peaks. What's not to like!
Problem is theres nothing out there that beats a mk3, and there doesnt seem to be anything on the horizon that will. The next IEPs will come out to replace the voyagers soon, with smaller windows, airline seats, poor seat cushioning etc etc. Its so blaringly obvious that we need to go back to traditional values to improve the travelling experience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top