• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti west coast - change collection method after internet purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyY

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
95
Location
Borehamwood
I bought a ticket for travel next Monday on the Avanti west coast website.
When asked to choose the collection method, I blindly selected the option which I normally use: "collect at station".
It was only afterwards when I realised that in order to collect the ticket, I need the card which was used to make the purchase. However, the physical card is yet to arrive, and due to the impending bank holidays, is unlikely to do until the travel date.
I need to change to an e-ticket, sent to my mobile phone or email address.

At the Avanti west coast website, I can see the booking after logging into my account, but under "My Bookings", I cannot see any option to amend the collection method.
I am unable to find a telephone number number at the website.
I opened a request at "Help and support" at the website, and received an email that it will take up to 5 (working?) days.

What do you think my best option would be? Should I wait, or try to cancel or change the ticket?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2016
Messages
4,416
You can’t change the fulfilment method. Many TVMs no longer need the card though - for instance northern and southeastern ones just need the collection reference. I can’t remember if Avanti ones are updated. But just try a few different ones out.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,781
Location
UK
Generally speaking it isn't possible to amend the collection method once you have made a purchase.

However, firstly it's worth checking to see if you actually need the payment card to collect the ticket. Many retailers no longer require this for their bookings, so you may be able to collect the ticket with just the reference number (and possibly any payment card, i.e. not necessarily the one you used to pay).

Even if there is currently a "same card" collection requirement, you may be able to collect your booking if you go to a ticket office and are able to show the booking confirmation email plus ID. There isn't an official procedure for this but it may work.

Otherwise, I would suggest contacting Avanti on social media (e.g. Twitter) to ask them whether there is anything they can do. In the worst case scenario you can just get a refund if it's an Off-Peak or Anytime ticket (less a £5 fee per ticket), or change the date to a future one if it's a journey you make regularly and it's an Advance ticket (for a £10 fee plus the fare difference).

If you have an Advance ticket and this isn't a journey you make regularly, and both ticket offices and Avanti's customer service are unable or unwilling to help, then unfortunately you may be out of luck here.
 

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,289
Location
Crawley
You can’t change the fulfilment method. Many TVMs no longer need the card though - for instance northern and southeastern ones just need the collection reference. I can’t remember if Avanti ones are updated. But just try a few different ones out.
Only if Avanti sets their bookings to "any card" of course - I can't remember if they're one of the ones who do or not
 

AndyY

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
95
Location
Borehamwood
Much to my surprise and beyond my expectations, Avanti responded last night saying that they had changed the requirement so that I could collect using any bank card.
This morning, I went to the ticket machine of a local station, and the ticket was issued immediately after typing in the 8 digit (alphanumeric) collection reference. I was not even asked to insert a bank card.
If you replied to this message, thank you for your time and my apologies for the trouble caused by being in a panic yesterday.

And lesson learnt: collect at station means you need to have the physical card - with the proliferation of "virtual cards" (which some banks now offer as a security feature), hopefully such a warning will be displayed more prominently in future if it is not possible (e.g. due to technical limitations) to change collection method after payment.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,815
collect at station means you need to have the physical card
That’s becoming rarer now. In general, it means you need a physical card (not the physical card) but many machines do not require that at all now. There remain, however, a small number of retailers who do insist on ‘same card collection’ such as LNER, but if using those you can avoid that by paying with other methods.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,558
Location
LBK
Much to my surprise and beyond my expectations, Avanti responded last night saying that they had changed the requirement so that I could collect using any bank card.
This morning, I went to the ticket machine of a local station, and the ticket was issued immediately after typing in the 8 digit (alphanumeric) collection reference. I was not even asked to insert a bank card.
If you replied to this message, thank you for your time and my apologies for the trouble caused by being in a panic yesterday.

And lesson learnt: collect at station means you need to have the physical card - with the proliferation of "virtual cards" (which some banks now offer as a security feature), hopefully such a warning will be displayed more prominently in future if it is not possible (e.g. due to technical limitations) to change collection method after payment.
Glad to hear it was sorted. “Back in my day” this was the usual workaround customer relations would arrange having satisfied themselves there was nothing untoward about the transaction.
 

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
412
For future reference I have found X by far the easiest way to get hold of Avanti. Good for last minute bike reservations, for example.
 

Skiddaw

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2020
Messages
477
Location
Penrith
For what it is worth, I've not had to insert my card in the machine at Penrith station when collecting tickets for a while now. Machine seems happy with just the collection reference.
 

sqwizz

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2024
Messages
99
Location
UK
And lesson learnt: collect at station means you need to have the physical card
Except you didn't need it :D Like others said, I haven't had the machine ask for my card for a few years now. I collected Avanti ones at the weekend, too. They certainly used to ask but it's been a very long time for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top