• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti WC Euston to Liverpool Lime St 11th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Joined
13 Oct 2019
Messages
2,256
Location
Liverpool
I need to catch a Euston to Lime St service some time late afternoon / early evening next Friday 11th Sept.

An off-peak single is £64.40, but some services are advertised for as little as £40, BUT I can't commit to a timed train. Are the lower cost fares sometimes available as a "walk-up" (or at least on-line), or do I just pay the full off-peak fare either now or at the time?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

at.163

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2013
Messages
12
One possible option could be to buy an Anytime Advance for £18, valid on London Northwestern Railway. The journey time would be longer than with Avanti but given the quite significant saving you may think it's worth it.
 

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Joined
13 Oct 2019
Messages
2,256
Location
Liverpool
One possible option could be to buy an Anytime Advance for £18, valid on London Northwestern Railway. The journey time would be longer than with Avanti but given the quite significant saving you may think it's worth it.

Tempting though it is, the Avanti option is a no-brainer based on the time taken, thanks.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
I believe you can purchase advances with Avanti up to 15 minutes before departure, checking today for the 1147 i can purchase one.
 

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
1,605
Location
Kent
To avoid Virgin's eye watering prices, the North Western only ticket to Birmingham and Liverpool are very attractive, especially if travelling at short notice.

Looking up the itineraries to use this ticket the results to Liverpool are not great:
Many journey planners suggest getting the xx:46 from Euston and changing at Stafford at 00:35. The connecting service to Liverpool that comes from Birmingham also arrives at xx:35 so there is a 35 minute wait at Stafford for the xx:10. Some people might enjoy the fresh air and the leg stretch after being sat down on the train for ages. Although it is not great nor appealing to someone in winter to wait for half an hour in the cold and possibly wet. In total the journey is roughly 3 hours and 24 minutes.

I had hoped that the Euston train running direct between Stafford and Crewe would fix the situation but that doesn't seem to be the case. Looking at Real Time Trains, the service to Liverpool frequently leaves Stafford late which I presume to be because of people holding the doors open or the guard waiting for the last few to sprint their last few metres to the train :lol:

I complained about this issue once or twice and it looks like there has been some, although probably coincidental change. In the new May timetable I have noticed that the connecting train will arrive into Stafford at xx:38 allowing 3 minutes to dash over to the connecting train to Liverpool. In some cases making the change at Crewe is possible as the Euston service arrives at xx:55 and the Liverpool at xx:57 although two minutes is realistically not long enough. Some of my friends have done this and call the change "The Stafford Shuffle"

There is one train per day that makes the journey possible under 3 hours. For some reason the 11:46 from Euston gets to Stafford at 13:30. This extra 5 minutes allows plenty of time for 13:38 connection to be made, bringing down the journey time to 2 hours and 45 minutes. Why can't the rest of the timetable be like this I wonder?
I have quoted a post I wrote on another thread which might be of interest. Timetables have since changed and it is now possible to do the above at all hours of the day. To summarise, if time is as important to you as money then the Euston to Liverpool LNWR journey time can be reduced to 2 hours 45 minutes as opposed to 3 hours and 30 minutes by taking an earlier connecting train. Simply get off the Euston - Crewe service at Stafford at xx:35 and run across the footbridge to board the xx:38 to Liverpool (usually from Birmingham).

I don’t recommend doing this with train specific advance tickets although with an Anytime Advance or Off Peak ticket you have nothing to lose if you are not quick enough. However LNWR being the way they are, the Liverpool service is often late so you don’t have to rush.

Avanti’s journey time of 2 hours 12 minutes is great but comes at a cost. If you can spare another 33 minutes the savings are significant. Hope this helps.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,660
Location
Merseyside
The problem is that 3 minute unofficial connection at Stafford is no unreliable. The amount of times I've missed it even when I have rushed across. Very annoying!
 

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
1,605
Location
Kent
Yes, it is annoying not to be an official connection although not to much of an issue unless you need an advance itinerary. If only they could make the connecting service wait another 2 minutes, it is popular.

Sorry to hear you have been unlucky in the past. Hope you make the connection more often one day! Touch wood I have always made it :D
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,660
Location
Merseyside
I've made it 50% of the time to be fair. Its annoying that the times I've missed it has been when the ex EUS has arrived a couple of minutes late and also has been following a cancellation of a Euston to Stafford WMT service. This is an ongoing issue though (pre-COVID) timetable that this is not an official connection. 5 minutes is all that is required at Stafford, so an additional 2 minutes, and I have emailed WMT (and formally London Midland) many times about this to no avail. It really would make the WMT option more attractive compared to expensive Avanti option. If the connection was "official" it would at least allow for delay repay if it was missed.

Under normal timetables it is "only" a 30 minute wait for the next service, but currently it is only an hour - all the more reason for them to strive for a valid connection!

On the Liverpool to London leg though at the moment, heading South, the excessive wait at Crewe (or Stafford) is annoying. On a normal timetable it is only about 15 or less minutes but with only 1 service per hour from Liverpool to Birmingham it is about 45 - adding an additional 30 minutes to the journey. Not good! I do wonder if the 2 services per hour between Liverpool and Birmingham will ever return.....

My advice to the OP would be to consider an on the day Advance from Avanti. These are available until 15 minutes before departure. Once it is clear to them which train they are able to catch I'd look online and book it. Personally, I would head straight to the Avanti site. I have had other sites not offer these tickets (although I suspect other's do) and it can be a bit hit and miss with booking offices offering these tickets. There are of course no assurances such tickets will be on offer that day and they should make sure they do not pay more then the Off Peak Single (assuming they are travelling at a time such tikets are valid).
 

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Joined
13 Oct 2019
Messages
2,256
Location
Liverpool
Thanks for all your replies, I'll almost certainly go for the Avanti Advance option once I land at LHR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top