• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti TVMs selling local rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,185
As well as LNER and Northern ticket vending machines selling most rover and ranger tickets, I have discovered that Avanti West Coast TVMs now sell the rovers and rangers that are local to the station in question.

For example the TVMs at Lancaster sell the various Cumbrian rovers such as the Cumbria Day Ranger and the Lakes Day Ranger, and the ones at Manchester Piccadilly sell the various Greater Manchester tickets, the Cheshire Day Ranger and, rather bizarrely, the West Midlands Day Ranger.

But I was at Birmingham New Street recently and had a look to see which rovers and rangers were available from the Avanti TVMs there, but when I tapped on the "Plan your route" button where it asks you to specify the number of adults and the number of children, it just took me back to the previous page so I couldn't get it to offer me anything. I presume this is a temporary glitch in the system, or maybe I did something wrong but I can't for the life of me think what I might have been doing wrong.

Has anyone else here bought, or tried to buy, any rovers or rangers from an Avanti TVM?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,185
It's part of a RDG scheme coming to all TVMs
What, across all train operators (or at least those that have local rover and ranger tickets that are valid in their area - a few, such as Southern and Chiltern, do not (apart from the Southern Daysave in the former case))? Any idea how soon it will be rolled out across all TOCs?
I wouldn't expect a rover to show up in route planning though
No, but as I recall on the TVMs at Lancaster and Manchester Piccadilly you have to select the "Local rover tickets" option on the screen that greets you in the first instance, and it then asks you to select the number of adults and number of children, and when you've done this you have to tap on the "Plan your route" button. You then get a list of available rover and ranger tickets. But when I tapped on "Plan your route" on the TVMs at New Street it just took me back to the previous screen as I mentioned in entry #1 above.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Avanti have been doing it for a fair while, at least the ones in Crewe with the Cheshire Ranger.

Useful for when the ticket office is closed or has a large queue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top