I was booked on the 14.34 AWC from Glasgow to Carlisle. This was cancelled due to a freight train breaking down in the Lockerbie area. A couple of platforms along the 15.06 TPE service to Preston was still advertised as running. The train manager assured me it would run - eventually. Even though I was somewhat sceptical I did board the train. In the meantime, the 15.34 AWC to Euston was also cancelled. By c15.50 the train manager told us the freight train was on the move, and a few minutes later we departed. ( I regarded a 50-minute late departure a minor miracle in the circumstances). So well done to TPE for not cancelling.
Which begs the question - why were Avanti so quick to cancel two busy trains, esp the 15.34, when just 10 minutes later the line was clear?
Which begs the question - why were Avanti so quick to cancel two busy trains, esp the 15.34, when just 10 minutes later the line was clear?