• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Emergency Timetable - had to pay more for the same seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkonian

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2017
Messages
292
As has been discussed at length here, Avanti are only releasing their timetables a few days in advance. I'd booked a trip from Lime Street to Euston tomorrow before the 8th August. This meant that my seat reservation was cancelled. My train is timetabled to run so I used the change journey option, chose the same train and same seat - I wanted a single seat in Standard Premier. It cost me an additional £11.50 to guarantee the same seat that I'd booked and paid for originally. Ridiculous, and more fool me for doing this but I wanted some peace of mind.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
Ticket offices can make you a seat reservation free of charge, assuming they have been made available for the train in question.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Ticket offices can make you a seat reservation free of charge, assuming they have been made available for the train in question.

It might be that a non-Avanti booking office will do it, but Avanti are presently refusing to make reservations for people caught up in this issue.

It's fairly pointless anyway, the displays don't seem to be working properly.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
I have stopped travelling with Avanti since they started cancelling trains and journeys not showing for the dates I wanted and too much uncertainty that I could have done without.


Arrived in London today having travelled with LNWR, I booked in a few weeks in advance, dates were available and paid £33 with railcard, it was a straightforward no fuss booking.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,638
Location
LBK
As has been discussed at length here, Avanti are only releasing their timetables a few days in advance. I'd booked a trip from Lime Street to Euston tomorrow before the 8th August. This meant that my seat reservation was cancelled. My train is timetabled to run so I used the change journey option, chose the same train and same seat - I wanted a single seat in Standard Premier. It cost me an additional £11.50 to guarantee the same seat that I'd booked and paid for originally. Ridiculous, and more fool me for doing this but I wanted some peace of mind.
More fool you indeed, you effectively paid £11.50 for a seat reservation. :(

Next time just send them a tweet or call them up and they'll make you a free seat reservation. Your ticket was valid.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
More fool you indeed, you effectively paid £11.50 for a seat reservation. :(

Not only that but one that likely won't be honoured.

Next time just send them a tweet or call them up and they'll make you a free seat reservation. Your ticket was valid.

They are presently refusing to re-make reservations for people affected by the cancellations, though as I mentioned I expect a non-Avanti booking office wouldn't know that so would probably do it.
 

BrianW

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2017
Messages
2,134
As has been discussed at length here, Avanti are only releasing their timetables a few days in advance. I'd booked a trip from Lime Street to Euston tomorrow before the 8th August. This meant that my seat reservation was cancelled. My train is timetabled to run so I used the change journey option, chose the same train and same seat - I wanted a single seat in Standard Premier. It cost me an additional £11.50 to guarantee the same seat that I'd booked and paid for originally. Ridiculous, and more fool me for doing this but I wanted some peace of mind.
Sadly Birkonian (and welcome by the way) your experience typifies that of many who are unfamiliar with the ways of the dis-integrated and dis-spirited railway. Hoping your experiences will be better, and as you would hope and should expect, in the future.

IIUC, someone with a bad experience tells many more people (and they pass it on!) than someone with a good experience.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,090
As has been discussed at length here, Avanti are only releasing their timetables a few days in advance. I'd booked a trip from Lime Street to Euston tomorrow before the 8th August. This meant that my seat reservation was cancelled. My train is timetabled to run so I used the change journey option, chose the same train and same seat - I wanted a single seat in Standard Premier. It cost me an additional £11.50 to guarantee the same seat that I'd booked and paid for originally. Ridiculous, and more fool me for doing this but I wanted some peace of mind.
How would having your seat reservation cancelled make an already purchased ticket invalid?
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
I was on a Stoke to Euston service last saturday. Train manager was saying he doesnt collect standard premium supplements anymore because of the ongoing reservation chaos.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,090
Sadly Birkonian (and welcome by the way) your experience typifies that of many who are unfamiliar with the ways of the dis-integrated and dis-spirited railway. Hoping your experiences will be better, and as you would hope and should expect, in the future.

IIUC, someone with a bad experience tells many more people (and they pass it on!) than someone with a good experience.
Nothing to do with the railway being dis-integrated. You can have poorly run national organisations as well
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I was on a Stoke to Euston service last saturday. Train manager was saying he doesnt collect standard premium supplements anymore because of the ongoing reservation chaos.

I've had them collected one time out of four. I used them last Saturday and it was explicitly declassified.
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
How would having your seat reservation cancelled make an already purchased ticket invalid?
Some people are, for whatever reasons, exceptionally weary of travelling without a valid reservation.
 

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,201
I travelled on Avanti today and the train manager made an announcement at Euston saying if you reserved a seat prior to 8th August head to coach C, by which time was already full, as although your ticket is valid, your seat reservations are cancelled
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,090
Some people are, for whatever reasons, exceptionally weary of travelling without a valid reservation.
Whatever Avanti's failings, that approach does seem to involve making life needlessly hard for themselves, especially if it involves paying more for the same train.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top