• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti bike reservation - practical on the spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
I'm considering bringing by bike on a trip next Sunday, which involves travel on Avanti services between London Euston - Milton Keynes Central. However I will use flexible tickets and don't want to tie myself onto a specific departure.

Given the average loading on a Sunday afternoon, is it likely that I can make a bike reservation on the soonest departure just before I cycle to the station through GWR?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,735
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Just use LNR, it is more frequent (though less so on a Sunday) and cycles don't need reservations. The spaces are under the pantograph.

Theoretically the booking office can do it up to 5 minutes before I believe, if you do want to use the mess that is Avanti.
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
Just use LNR, it is more frequent (though less so on a Sunday) and cycles don't need reservations. The spaces are under the pantograph.

Theoretically the booking office can do it up to 5 minutes before I believe, if you do want to use the mess that is Avanti.
I ended up buying an LNR Super Off-Peak Day Return as a result in order to use LNR services.

Unfortunately on my outward journey I had to let go a non-stop Avanti West Coast service as a result, and wait for the next LNR service which was a semi-fast one, and on the return fortunately I just made it in time to catch a non-stop LNR service back to Euston, otherwise the next train would be again an Avanti one 4 minutes after it, then a stopping LNR train afterwards which would take more than an hour back to Euston.

Let's consider the following hypothetical scenario:

Assume that I was using an Off-Peak Day Return. If I missed the LNR non-stop train mentioned above, would it be possible for me to make an instant bike reservation for the Avanti service, such that I could bring my bike onto the Avanti train departing within 4 minutes if I returned to the ticket office?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top