• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Austria/Switzerland trip planning - recommended hotels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I am planning a trip to Austria in July - the core part is a 7 day walking holiday.

I am planning a couple of days in Vienna - probably immediately before the walking.
Are there any hotels recommended to try in Vienna ? otherwise I may just use Novotel etc.
At the moment I am thinking of going out via Brussels/Cologne then OBB sleeper to Vienna.

Also looking at the possibility of a couple of nights in Chur area in Switzerland on the way back so would return using the GLacier express route (prob on the normal service trains) then on to Lausanne or Basel for TGV to Paris. I think I would need another night in Brig or maybe Zermatt area - any recommendations?

I'll visit the Swiss travel office in Covent garden when I am in London next week to see what they recommend as they sold me the swiss half fare card last time I went to Switzerland.
Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
Stayed at the Post a couple of years ago, it was OK, and at the Drei Könige 40 years ago - it's still there!

Not in Chur, but I've always fancied trying the Grischuna at Filisur.

Looking for recommendations for Vienna myself...
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Looks like I timed it well to find this thread then!

Only been to Vienna once, so I don't know what else is there, but Hotel Exe on Ottakringer Strasse is worth a go. Good quality rooms, although my preference is for a mattress a bit softer. After a full day of exploring I slept well enough mind. Breakfast isn't too bad but you can probably get better/cheaper in the city centre. Easily got to from the city as well, please feel free to ask for further advice should it be desired but a tram journey from the north side of the centre (with easy connections by U-Bahn or a 10-12 minute walk) will get you to/from the hotel in about 10 minutes. A search for "Hotel Exe Vienna" will bring up the website without issue. City tax will apply, I think it was €3.86 for our 3 night stay. Please do ask if you want any advice on things to do or how to get about.

I've not tried them myself, but I believe easyHotel have hotels in Basel and Zurich now. Not looked lately, and they are still opening more (Maastricht is either not quite there or is now done) so worth checking. I've just been to their hotel in Brussels, and it was still pretty new so ultra modern rooms. Beds are usually pretty comfortable too, and while you don't get breakfast the price is cheap for a night's stay, the service normally excellent and you're usually able to get to/from them relatively easily.

Switzerland is very much a required country for me, so my help cannot go further than that!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top